PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a teen club swimmer

laineybug
April 24th, 2013, 12:02 AM
LCM meet coming up in a little more than a month.
Granddaughter is listening to her teammates complain about swimming LCM.
She is now making negative statements about how poorly she is going to swim because the pool is LCM and outside.
I'm afraid she is setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy.
What would you say to her?
Thank you!

Rob Copeland
April 24th, 2013, 08:53 AM
What would you say to her?Absolutely nothing. If anything, I’d bring it up with the coach and ask to coach to talk to her.

Chris Stevenson
April 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM
She is now making negative statements about how poorly she is going to swim because the pool is LCM and outside.

I agree with Rob, let the coaches deal with it. I'm not even sure I would bring it up with them. If it is just normal "woe is me" griping, don't even pay attention to it. If she is truly upset and very nervous about swimming LCM then maybe you should alert the coaches. They've handled this sort of thing hundreds of times, I'm sure.

A lot of time kids (adults too!) will make such statements to lower expectations and reduce pressure. She's going to have to work it out.

smontanaro
April 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
In addition, your granddaughter is probably not the only kid on the team with the same issues ("Granddaughter is listening to her teammates complain about swimming LCM"), so the coach has more than her negativity to deal with.

aquageek
April 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
95% of kids around the country are whining about LCM workouts now coming off SC season. The other 5% are whining about LCM season and other things that every teen swimmer that ever lived whines about. 100% of parents and grandparents should stay out of it.

I heard one swimmer the other day complain that LCM swimming messes up her manicure more than SCY swimming.

smontanaro
April 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I heard one swimmer the other day complain that LCM swimming messes up her manicure more than SCY swimming.

I would love to hear her explanation for that!

ande
April 24th, 2013, 09:27 PM
What's your dream?

Be positive
Train hard smart & Fast
Get up & race in meets & practice

Have fun

Bill Sive
April 25th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I have never competed in LCM's. I plan on doing the 400 Free and 800 Free in the first LCM meet in May, in my area. Kind of looking forward to it. When I complete those two events I will have completed the USMS Check Off Challenge for the second time.

knelson
April 25th, 2013, 01:47 AM
So foreign to me. I always loved training and swimming LCM and still do to this day.

Jimbosback
April 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I would tell her a story about how much further 50 meters was when I was her age.

smontanaro
April 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I would tell her a story about how much further 50 meters was when I was her age.

And it was uphill both ways and you had to swim outdoors during the winter. When it was snowing.

Actually, I remember a trip between Coeur d'Alene, ID and Banff, AB where we encountered some sort of geothermally heated pool/spa/resort. They had an outdoor pool. As I recall, their claim to fame was that they hosted the only swim team in Canada that swam outdoors year 'round...

laineybug
April 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
You all are absolutely right! A recent "event" caused me to realize this young coach has far more insight into his swimmers and much more political savvy than any of the swim "parents" have been giving him credit for.

Thanks!

laineybug
April 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
PS: I had nothing to do with the political intrigue! Just happened to hear about it. :)

laineybug
June 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their advice and to give a quick update. My granddaughter had a wonderful meet! Of course she had PB’s in all the events she swam because she did not have any previous times. But even when her short-course times were converted to LCM, she still turned in PB’s in all events and earned A, or AA times. This was the first time she swam in the ‘senior’ girls’ age group. On the way home, long after our conversation about the meet was over, she pops up with, “I like LCM, it is real swimming.” Her mother and I took the opportunity to point out that she shouldn’t let other’s opinions influence her thinking; that she should weight all the data and form her own opinion.
Thanks again

JimRude
June 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
So foreign to me. I always loved training and swimming LCM and still do to this day.

Spoken like a true distance man.

rxleakem
June 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
On the way home, long after our conversation about the meet was over, she pops up with, “I like LCM, it is real swimming.” Her mother and I took the opportunity to point out that she shouldn’t let other’s opinions influence her thinking; that she should weight all the data and form her own opinion. Thanks again
Awesome! :cheerleader:
She is also fortunate to be able to enjoy the LCM option ;)

Britt03
June 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
glad she enjoyed her LC meet! Long Course IS real swimming. I love love love LCM!
Growing up in Europe I never knew how somebody came up with a 25 yards pool. Waaaaayyyy to short. You do 2 strokes and have to turn again. Having swam through College in this beautiful country I unfortunately had no other choice but to improve my turns.