PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Fly

BAndie
April 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I hope this works. I posted a video clip to YouTube. It's funny, but once I knew I was being recorded, some of my technique went out the window.

Is there a difference in technique from a sprint standpoint and swimming distance? I push my hands forward and "vacation" a little bit, but is this a technique for surviving distance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPis-M7lNZ4

Thank you.

Swimosaur
April 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I push my hands forward and "vacation" a little bit, but is this a technique for surviving distance?

Yes.

34_JRmnshC8

See also, http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?16588-The-Butterfly-Lane&p=255855&viewfull=1#post255855

SolarEnergy
April 29th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I hope this works. I posted a video clip to YouTube. It's funny, but once I knew I was being recorded, some of my technique went out the window.

Is there a difference in technique from a sprint standpoint and swimming distance? I push my hands forward and "vacation" a little bit, but is this a technique for surviving distance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPis-M7lNZ4

Thank you.

It's hard to run a meaningful analysis out of the initial 25m of a Fly bout, when the stroke looks all in all quite sound. Ideally, we'd need a full 100m to see where the technique degrades with fatigue.

Generally speaking, you want your hands to enter after the head, after the first kick, and more importantly you want them to exit in the same time as the 2nd kick.

Depending on your rate, you have more or less time to draw a wide shape pull. So as you increase the rate (ie, drifting toward 50m specific stroke), you don't have much time to bring the hands backward, hence a straighter pulling pathway.

What I really like in your stroke, and please don't loose this, is that when you don't breathe, your head remains quite high. A very common mistake, even at the highest level is to let the head drop whilst not breathing. That, for some, causes the shoulders to drop a bit, thus interfering with the swimmer's ability to fly over so to speak.

If I had been there when you recorded this clip, one thing I would I digged a bit deeper is about your leg kick. You seem to go very hard on the second kick, but not so hard on the first one. As a consequence, in spite of a pace that's fairly up tempo, your hips don't seem to break the surface very much. This could indicate a bit more frontal drag resistance.

The first kick is quite important. Several theoreticians have proposed that it should be the dominant one.

BAndie
April 29th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Thank you both for the replies.

The things I am currently thinking about when I swim the Fly are:

1. Undulate. I'm working on making that feel be more natural. Sometimes my lower back hurts the next day but I'm getting better at is, and also, my lats and back muscles are tight in the mornings. I think I'm using muscles I do not activate when swimming Free.
2. Head position. I have been told that my head stays up too long and so I am trying to work on that but am having trouble getting that feel. The result is that, without thinking about it, I just avoid breathing and usually my first 25 yards is with only one breath or two.
3. High elbow pull. I'm bad at this in the Free, but I think I'm getting it in the Fly (which coincidentally is helping me in the Free.)

I can only barely swim a 100 Fly but it starts falling off after the fifty and gets really ugly and is a struggle after the 75. I avoid anything past a fifty right now because I'm trying to work on feel and make that natural.

Today we did some 50 sprints and I did Fly and in the middle of them I decided to not glide (or push the hands forward) and I went straight into the pull and it changed my entire feel and tempo of my undulation and arm rotation. It felt like I was...I don't know...like I was on a crazy rocking horse compared to my push-forward style; however, it felt as though my head leads the arms and so my head went back into the water before my hands. This may be good news. I also dropped 1 second per 25 by doing this non glide style.

Though it's not necessarily the style I want, I think I will work on this quicker rotation in an effort to get the feel down. My goal is to get so that I can do 100 LCM in the Fly to where I don't look like I'm dying and straining my neck near the end of it.

I'll look into my kick and ask coach to watch. I have to say that it feels that my first kick is stronger (prior to my pull) and my second kick is very week (kicking the hands in.) The rooster tail of water is coming from my 1st kick, actually. My weakness in swimming are my legs and I think I need to get some fins and start working the dolphin kick. I will keep a mindful eye to this.

I think I'll update in about a month and ask for more critiques. Don't be afraid to critique anything, though. I swim Butterfly...I'm a man and can take it! ;-)

Thanks!

SolarEnergy
April 30th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'll look into my kick and ask coach to watch. I have to say that it feels that my first kick is stronger (prior to my pull) and my second kick is very week (kicking the hands in.) The rooster tail of water is coming from my 1st kick, actually. My weakness in swimming are my legs and I think I need to get some fins and start working the dolphin kick. I will keep a mindful eye to this.

You're getting first/second reversed. First normally is kicking the hands in, and the 2nd is hands out.