PDA

View Full Version : David Sims interview

Syd
May 5th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Mel Stewart of Swim Swam interviews ex-Olympian David Sims (http://swimswam.com/olympian-and-masters-champion-david-sims-breaks-200-fly-2-minute-barrier/). To be honest, I hadn't heard of him before I read the article, but I am really impressed. A sub two minute 200 fly at the age of fifty! Definitely not too shabby!

sunruh
May 6th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mel Stewart of Swim Swam interviews ex-Olympian David Sims (http://swimswam.com/olympian-and-masters-champion-david-sims-breaks-200-fly-2-minute-barrier/). To be honest, I hadn't heard of him before I read the article, but I am really impressed. A sub two minute 200 fly at the age of fifty! Definitely not too shabby!

dave is an awesome guy.
super nice to talk with.
in super great shape too.
oh and here is a small hint, if in a 200yd free race with him, at the 150 flip and you are tied, dont think that you take him on the last 50.

i've known dave since '80. my teammate from wichita, ron neugent, and dave were on the '80 team together in the 1500.

Boomerang
May 6th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I thought it was a great article also. Very inspiring!

mj2345
May 6th, 2013, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=sunruh;286835]dave is an awesome guy.
super nice to talk with.
oh and here is a small hint, if in a 200yd free race with him, at the 150 flip and you are tied, dont think that you take him on the last 50.

Sunruh, it's great to watch him swim, but last week at the IL Masters Championship my teammate was behind Dave at the 150 and did catch him in the last 50, granted he's 1/2 Dave's age and was trying to negative split his 100's, which he almost did. It's amazing how fast his Butterfly was during the meet. I do not think he was fully tapered either, so nationals should be exciting. I didn't realize he started swimming in Masters just recently, I figured he never stopped.

knelson
May 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I've never met Dave, but I see his name in the Big Shoulders swim results just about every year.

Fresnoid
May 6th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I found it quite relevant that he has a 5 year plan within the age group -sprints the first couple of years, distance the last few. I'm 50 also, but a pure distance guy. It's good to know I have a couple of years before David bumps me down one spot in all my best events.

sunruh
May 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=sunruh;286835]dave is an awesome guy.
super nice to talk with.

Sunruh, it's great to watch him swim, but last week at the IL Masters Championship my teammate was behind Dave at the 150 and did catch him in the last 50, granted he's 1/2 Dave's age and was trying to negative split his 100's, which he almost did. It's amazing how fast his Butterfly was during the meet. I do not think he was fully tapered either, so nationals should be exciting. I didn't realize he started swimming in Masters just recently, I figured he never stopped.

then they didnt go 1:44. like he did at greensboro...next to me

mj2345
May 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM
nope, 1:45.9 and Dave went 1:46.38, Definitely not tapered.