PDA

View Full Version : land based fitness activity

coachkopie
May 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Here are some ideas in case they fit into your idea of fun, safe fitness to add to your overall wellness training or to complement your swimming or triathlon training activity. Choose that which fits with your wants, needs, goals, sense of readiness and always do that which you deem to be safe. Have fun and embrace the athlete within. Be safe. Be fit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-wdVXzw4bI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8v0rV-OA-g

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5aqgklqkE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ_Jn9X9gaE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5T92oc89Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OP_UBuRBI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDLU4yjei0

Kevin in MD
May 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
What sort of things are you getting from the single leg squat with a lateral non-support leg that you don't get from the single leg squat with the non-support leg behind you? What muscles are hit harder in one vs the other?

coachkopie
May 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Kevin,

There probably are different muscle emphases with different actions, such as you asked about having the non-weight bearing leg to the rear versus to the side. I probably should be able to and eager to answer you specifically but I hesitate because:
* I do not necessarily think in terms of specific muscles but rather movement patterns and angles
* In thinking about movements I think about what subtle adjustments might feel like and offer
* I believe subtle adjustments to actions promote balance (in the body and by the body)
* I do one leg squats with the non-weight bearing leg to the rear, side, and front by the way (mostly rear and side)
* I always urge people to proceed carefully and with full awareness of what they feel ready for and safe doing, and I urge them to consider any possible contra-indications based on their history (experience, readiness and possible inflammations, strains, medical needs etc...)
* That said, I hope people enjoy and carefully broach subtle adjustments of actions they perform.
* I believe if you do single leg squats on a stable box, you will feel differences whether the non-supported leg lowers to the rear, to the front or to the side. And I think you will appreciate the differences you feel.
* Personally I am far less in command with the free leg going to the front than to the side or rear.

* If you like or do not like an action, go with your feel and choices but consider being open to subtle adjustments to actions.