PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Who's going to join me in Mission Viejo? :banana: I am looking forward to going back "home" to California!

So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE! Me first: 1,001 . I will probably end up being the "1" at the end; completely contrary to my usual manner of registering early. (My event selection and seed times hinge on where I am at with my current shoulder/leg PT program and what the doctor says about my :cane: neck.)

Winner gets a :chug: (or drink of choice) on me. (PWB, I still owe you a juice, at least!)

If anybody plans on visiting San Diego or Long Beach while you are in California, I lived in San Diego for 24 years, after growing up in Long Beach. So, I would be happy to answer any questions.

I hope to see you in Mission Viejo!

:D

knelson
May 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE!

Easy, tiger. The entry deadline is still 6+ weeks away.

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Easy, tiger. The entry deadline is still 6+ weeks away.

And, your point is??? :D

Allen Stark
May 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I usually enter early,but not this time.It all hinges on how my shoulder progresses.I got a cortisone shot in it yesterday and it is in the "it will be sore for a couple of days and then we will see how you are"stage.Assuming my shoulder is Ok I'll enter at least the 3 BRs and the 200 fly.I hope to be there and see you there.

pwb
May 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Elaine,

well, I wasn't going to come, but that drink you owe me is calling:drink:

but, seriously, I am hoping to make it out for some part of Thursday to Saturday of the meet, primarily to do relays and because it is close and fun.

I am hoping for a bigger meet and that the Pan Am meet doesn't siphon off too many easterners from making the trek out. I think the number will be more like 1,123 because then we could rebrand this the Fibonacci nationals.:bolt:

Bill Sive
May 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Not sure if I will compete/swim in Mission Viejo. Was planning on volunteering. I live in Long Beach, work in Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is about 15 minutes away from Mission Viejo. If anyone is planning on swimming distance I would be more than glad to be a lap counter for anyone here on the Forums.

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I usually enter early,but not this time.It all hinges on how my shoulder progresses.I got a cortisone shot in it yesterday and it is in the "it will be sore for a couple of days and then we will see how you are"stage.Assuming my shoulder is Ok I'll enter at least the 3 BRs and the 200 fly.I hope to be there and see you there.

Good luck with your recovery, King Frog! I will be in the same boat- uhhh- pool as you with my neck. Let's keep our frogs legs crossed we both make it there healthy!

knelson
May 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I think it's going to be a big meet. Skip Thompson told me in Indy that only around 450 American swimmers signed up for Sarasota. And with SC Nats in Indy there were lots of swimmers from the western states who didn't attend that meet. I think many of those will swim at Mission instead. I'm going to wait before I make a prediction, but that's my thinking.

An interesting scheduling note is that the U.S. Open meet and Junior Nationals are both in Irvine this summer and overlap with the USMS Nationals. U.S. Open is 7/30-8/3 and Juniors are 8/5/-8/9. Irvine is "just down the road" from MV.

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Elaine,

but, seriously, I am hoping to make it out for some part of Thursday to Saturday of the meet, primarily to do relays and because it is close and fun.

I am hoping for a bigger meet and that the Pan Am meet doesn't siphon off too many easterners from making the trek out. I think the number will be more like 1,123 because then we could rebrand this the Fibonacci nationals.:bolt:

That would turn out to be one heck of an expensive "free" drink! I do hope you make it, though!

I was originally going to guess 1,234, however, I received a hot tip from a certain USMS employee :D while I was visiting their office that my guess of 1,001 may prove to be more accurate. We shall see... :anim_coffee:

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Not sure if I will compete/swim in Mission Viejo. Was planning on volunteering. I live in Long Beach, work in Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is about 15 minutes away from Mission Viejo. If anyone is planning on swimming distance I would be more than glad to be a lap counter for anyone here on the Forums.

:angel: Awesome! I plan on swimming the 1500 and would really appreciate it! :agree: So, may I take you up on that offer?

Bill Sive
May 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hi Elaine,
Let me get my work schedule coordinated and we are good to go!

ElaineK
May 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Elaine,
Let me get my work schedule coordinated and we are good to go!

If it works out, :smooch: ! If not, don't sweat it. I can get Bruce to count, rather than do photography or video.

Thanks! :chug: is on me!

orca1946
May 19th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Sorry -- one Nats per year is my limit. I did good at spring nats, with 1- 5th 3- 6th & a 9th. Time to repair this ol body!

matysekj
May 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I think it's going to be a big meet. Skip Thompson told me in Indy that only around 450 American swimmers signed up for Sarasota.

794 USMS members are entered in the Pan-Ams meet. The demographics from all FINA federations are attached.

Fresnoid
May 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't a southern California meet attract a ton of local former swimmers who un-retire for this meet?

Fresnoid
May 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM
:angel: Awesome! I plan on swimming the 1500 and would really appreciate it! :agree: So, may I take you up on that offer?

I'll be there too & can count if needed as long as our heats aren't too close together. I'm planning to enter 200, 400, 800, 1500 Free and 200 Fly.

pwb
May 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I'll be there too & can count if needed as long as our heats aren't too close together. I'm planning to enter 200, 400, 800, 1500 Free and 200 Fly. Where is the 400 IM? Slacker.:bolt:

Fresnoid
May 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Where is the 400 IM? Slacker.:bolt:

One of my written goals is to never, ever do another breastroke kick.

ElaineK
May 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I'll be there too & can count if needed as long as our heats aren't too close together. I'm planning to enter 200, 400, 800, 1500 Free and 200 Fly.

:smooch: Thanks, Fres! How kind of you to offer! Likewise, if it works out that I can count for you. :agree: At this point, my plans are to enter 50, 100, 200 breaststroke, 1500 free, 400 IM, and 200 fly. I'm still thinking on that 200 fly, though. As much as I like swimming it, I would end up a human meet delay! :afraid: Of course, that's not to say that I won't be in my other events. Considering my ailments, I'll be lucky to match my NQT's in breaststroke! :blush:

mj2345
May 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I just registered for Mission Viejo yesterday! I've never swam in a 50m pool so this will be interesting! At least traveling from Chicago will not be an issue since my Dad lives in Dana Point plus a view other family members in San Clemente. Looking forward to the 200 back.

pwb
May 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM
One of my written goals is to never, ever do another breastroke kick.We need a LIKE button on the forums.

pwb
May 19th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I just registered for Mission Viejo yesterday! I've never swam in a 50m pool so this will be interesting! At least traveling from Chicago will not be an issue since my Dad lives in Dana Point plus a view other family members in San Clemente. Looking forward to the 200 back.Well, since your Dad is in Dana Point and you're doing one first with a 50M pool, you should consider the OW event on August 4th -- http://www.nadadoresroughwaterswim.org/w/.

mj2345
May 20th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info! I did find a LCM meet close to my house in June, so I'm going to sign up to get some experience under my belt.

ElaineK
May 20th, 2013, 08:16 AM
We need a LIKE button on the forums.

But, isn't 400 IM one of your events? :bolt:

sunruh
May 20th, 2013, 08:57 AM
i would like to swim at "home". logged a trillion zillion meters in that pool.
ok ok, how about just 120,000lcm in 11 workouts for weeks on end.
and on the off chance we did a workout in the diving well, seeing the world best diver while you took a breath looking at saddleback mtn in the background was pretty cool too. except for the smog that is.

however, i had major shoulder surgery on may 3. lots and lots of scar tissue removal, bone spur removal, removed 2 stiches from my 3yo slap tear surgery and then he did the bicep tenodesis. i have progressed to the point where i can dress myself now. lol. swimming in a race is such a far fetched idea at this point.

steve - the 1 arm

Water Rat
May 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
As much as I would love to come to MV, it's not in the cards this year. Our family vacation is that week. I much prefer LC competitions to SC but this year it's not gonna happen.

pwb
May 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
But, isn't 400 IM one of your events? :bolt:Yes. It is the Greatest Race Of All Time, but it would be made even better if I could do a dolphin kick instead of a breaststroke kick!

ekw
May 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Yes. It is the Greatest Race Of All Time, but it would be made even better if I could do a dolphin kick instead of a breaststroke kick!

I think it would be better as backstroke, backstroke, freestyle, and freestyle. :bolt:

thewookiee
May 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Yes. It is the Greatest Race Of All Time, but it would be made even better if I could do a dolphin kick instead of a breaststroke kick!

100 percent agree!!!

smontanaro
May 20th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I think it would be better as backstroke, backstroke, freestyle, and freestyle. :bolt:

I'm with ekw on this one!

That's basically the swim portion of my warmup, though I swim it free, back, free, back. :)

ElaineK
May 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
i had major shoulder surgery on may 3. lots and lots of scar tissue removal, bone spur removal, removed 2 stiches from my 3yo slap tear surgery and then he did the bicep tenodesis. i have progressed to the point where i can dress myself now. lol. swimming in a race is such a far fetched idea at this point.

So, did it turn out that you DON'T have TOS? Lucky for you, if that's the case! Good luck with your recovery, sunruh! :cheerleader:

sunruh
May 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
So, did it turn out that you DON'T have TOS? Lucky for you, if that's the case! Good luck with your recovery, sunruh! :cheerleader:

i still might, but i've got a lot of healing to do 1st.

and a 400 im should be done 100 fly 100 free 100 fly 100 free. it's an individual medley i'll pick how i want to do it, thanks!

Fresnoid
May 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
i still might, but i've got a lot of healing to do 1st.

and a 400 im should be done 100 fly 100 free 100 fly 100 free. it's an individual medley i'll pick how i want to do it, thanks!

:applaud:

and keep us posted on your recovery

sunruh
May 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
:applaud:

and keep us posted on your recovery

i'm trying to recall what might be one the the worst workouts i ever did at MVN...there were so so many

the 3x1500 fly on 22:30 certainly is way up in the front of the pack. vividly remember that workout from '83.
looking up at the scoreboard that afternoon and those of us in lanes 6 and 7 going...what does 22:30 mean? and then Scott (McFarland - asst at the time) going ok its 3x1500 in stroke on 22:30. leaving on the next top and the scoreboard will count them off.

today i'm looking at shower on 2:30 and i might even shave (face) for it! lol

aztimm
May 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I'm considering both USMS LCM nationals and the IGLA SCM meet in the Seattle area. As they are less than a week away from each other, I don't really see it as practical to do both (and I don't have enough vacation time or $$$ for both).

One winning point of IGLA is that I can do more events--no NQT's, everyone can do the same number of events. And they have an o/w option too (in Lake Washington). I'd expect it to be more fun, with a little swimming mixed in. I could swim with our local IGLA team (if they send enough swimmers), swim on my own, or perhaps swim with another team, maybe one from NYC.
Of course Mission Viejo is somewhat driving distance, and the meet is slightly less expensive. I'd expect it to be a bit of swimming, with a little bit of fun. I'd have to qualify, which I don't, so I'm limited to only 3 events. My team will probably have a few people.

Timing seems an issue...as others have noted the Pan Am, USMS LCM, and IGLA meets are all close together.

NOTE: for any PNW forumites, if you're on the fence for USMS nationals, you could always do IGLA :)

poolraat
May 20th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Where's the "Like" button?

Sportygeek
May 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM

You are getting a lot of love for this proposal (yes, I join the chorus). Any race organizers on the boards? If Australia can have 800m fly and 1500m backstroke, USMS can have long-axis medley :)

smontanaro
May 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Even just a two-stroke medley. Pick any two strokes you want. Split them up any way you want. You just have to swim half the race one stroke and half the other.

ekw
May 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Even just a two-stroke medley. Pick any two strokes you want. Split them up any way you want. You just have to swim half the race one stroke and half the other.

Backstroke and freestyle are the only strokes I've ever been assigned to swim on any serious medley relay, so I think it makes complete sense that these be the components of my individual medley, using sunruh's excellent reasoning above. :agree:

Karl_S
May 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
the 3x1500 fly on 22:30 ...
seems likely related to all that shoulder trouble of which you speak. 'hope you recover fully soon.

debaru
May 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Who's going to join me in Mission Viejo? :banana: I am looking forward to going back "home" to California! :D

I'm in!! :dj_dance:

orca1946
May 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
50 m pools kill me in the 200 fly !!!! Turns are my friends !!

TRYM_Swimmer
May 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM

Au contraire, pwb! The reason it's the GROAT is that halfway through this boring legs up and down, up and down, up and down, zzzzzz, there's this sudden shift to the elegant thrust and glide that wakes up both the swimmer and the audience from their stupor.

And, of course, it gives those of us with deformed legs a chance to catch up with those of you that are not so blessed!

pdjang
May 22nd, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm considering both USMS LCM nationals and the IGLA SCM meet in the Seattle area. As they are less than a week away from each other, I don't really see it as practical to do both (and I don't have enough vacation time or $$$ for both).

One winning point of IGLA is that I can do more events--no NQT's, everyone can do the same number of events. And they have an o/w option too (in Lake Washington). I'd expect it to be more fun, with a little swimming mixed in. I could swim with our local IGLA team (if they send enough swimmers), swim on my own, or perhaps swim with another team, maybe one from NYC.
Of course Mission Viejo is somewhat driving distance, and the meet is slightly less expensive. I'd expect it to be a bit of swimming, with a little bit of fun. I'd have to qualify, which I don't, so I'm limited to only 3 events. My team will probably have a few people.

Timing seems an issue...as others have noted the Pan Am, USMS LCM, and IGLA meets are all close together.

NOTE: for any PNW forumites, if you're on the fence for USMS nationals, you could always do IGLA :)

I went to my first IGLA games last year and was very impressed with all aspects of this event. Besides swimming, the IGLA featured water polo, synchronized swimming and diving. It was really cool to see other masters athletes striving to do their best in sports that one does not see in a USMS championship.

I was also impressed by the post athletic activities: a gala banquet, sponsored trips to the Blue Lagoon, whale watching and most impressively - a post meet talent show that highlighted the creativity and humor of my fellow athletes.

I'm already committed to Mission Viejo but can highly recommend IGLA if you want to experience a more robust and thought provoking side of our great sport.

Best wishes,
Philipp

ElaineK
May 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
I'm in!! :dj_dance:

WoooHOOOO Debaru! :applaud: (I saw your e-mails; reply to come later, when I return...)

Bill Sive
May 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I need to withdrawl my offer to count laps for the distance swimmers. I did not realize swimming would start at 8:00 am. I was planning on working half day then driving down to the pool in the afternoon. Therefore I will be available to count laps for anyone in the afternoon. Probably after 1:30 or 2:00 pm depending on traffic.

ElaineK
May 24th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I need to withdrawl my offer to count laps for the distance swimmers. I did not realize swimming would start at 8:00 am. I was planning on working half day then driving down to the pool in the afternoon. Therefore I will be available to count laps for anyone in the afternoon. Probably after 1:30 or 2:00 pm depending on traffic.

Well, I'll be a slow one who is seeded early, so I'm sure I will be dry by then! Hmmm, but, then again, there will be older/slower ones than me. I have NO idea what time I will be swimming! So, IF Fresnoid isn't available to count for me and IF I haven't already swum my heat, then I have dibs on ya, Bill! :D

jaadams1
May 25th, 2013, 07:27 PM

I looked into attending the IGLA meet in Federal Way as well this year, moreso because of the proximity to where I live. I was originally going to sign up for one day (I can go over and back the same day), and do 3-4 events on whatever day had the "best events" for me. I went through the registration process, and then got to the price tag and the "give credit card info". WHOA!! It was steep!! I backed out of it merely for the price alone.
I thought it would be fun to come over for a day of it to see everything and have fun racing as well, but it's not going to happen. I'll be earning booku bucks in overtime anyway this summer, and don't want to miss the opportunity for more of it. I already have two LCM meets right here in Wenatchee that I can swim in anyway.

orca1946
May 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Some times the cost is a switch to be flipped & overtime is hard to pass up !! Will you be rewarded with placing where you think you might end up ?

ElaineK
July 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE! Me first: 1,001 .

Well, it looks like I was off by exactly 400. The attendance is officially 1401.

ElaineK
July 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Elaine,

Patrick, that drink that was calling? Make that :drink::drink:, because you were the only other one who bothered to play "Guess the Attendance" and you beat me! So, I still owe you the one from Mesa and now I owe you another. :chug:

pwb
July 4th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Patrick, that drink that was calling? Make that :drink::drink:, because you were the only other one who bothered to play "Guess the Attendance" and you beat me! So, I still owe you the one from Mesa and now I owe you another. :chug:
cool. Now, I really need to make sure I actually get to the meet with an intact shoulder (if not for the swimming then to lift the pints).

Fresnoid
July 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
cool. Now, I really need to make sure I actually get to the meet with an intact shoulder (if not for the swimming then to lift the pints).

Wimp. Can't you drink with the other hand?

pwb
July 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Wimp. Can't you drink with the other hand?Elaine owes me two drinks, so I need both hands-arms-shoulders. A sprinter, of course, would do one at a time with a long rest in between.

Fresnoid
July 4th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Elaine owes me two drinks, so I need both hands-arms-shoulders. A sprinter, of course, would do one at a time with a long rest in between.I forgot to mention. Since you travel, always have ziplocks and an ace bandage in the car. Always ice the shoulder after working out. Fill the bag at any fast food or convenience store. Pay them for a small drink, then get your ice. Even better, double bag a Slurpee for faster inflammation relief.

I got ice today at the Safeway just before getting back on on 24.

ElaineK
July 5th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Yep, you're on your own there; I buy, you lift! :drink:

orca1946
July 6th, 2013, 01:01 AM
MJ Have fun at nats. I think you need to try some swims in 50 M. It really changes the way you go out with only 1/2 the turns & a LONG way till the next wall !!!!

mj2345
July 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Orca! I did a 50m meet a couple weeks ago . 200 Back was my first event, not as bad as I thought. The problem was the limited amount of swimmers so I finished my 200 back, immediately walked to the other end of the pool to get on the blocks for 50 Free...Ouch. I'm glad Nationals will be more spread out, so I can rest!

jroddin
July 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks Orca! I did a 50m meet a couple weeks ago . 200 Back was my first event, not as bad as I thought. The problem was the limited amount of swimmers so I finished my 200 back, immediately walked to the other end of the pool to get on the blocks for 50 Free...Ouch. I'm glad Nationals will be more spread out, so I can rest!

Oh, it will be spread out alright! Be careful what you ask for...:afraid:

Allen Stark
July 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Although I won't be there I wish all the participants well.Having over 1400 swimmers at an LCM Nats is a sign of health for USMS.

orca1946
July 14th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Sometimes I nearly fall asleep 'tween events at Nats !!

Bill Sive
July 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I noticed on the SPMS website for the meet that the end time for Wednesday is 9:00 pm. I will be leaving work at 2pm and should arrive in Mission Viejo around 2:30 pm. Parking will be another matter. In any case I anticipate being at the pool no later then 3pm. If anyone other than Elaine and Debaru need a lap counter then let me know when you see me at the pool.

You wont be able to miss me. LOL.

I asked the meet director a while ago to place me on the volunteer list, but they never contacted me. I'm there if needed. No biggie.

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Rick Colella?After 2 WRs and a good 50 BR he wasn't in the 400 IM and 200 BR,arguable his best events.

ElaineK
August 12th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Rick Colella?After 2 WRs and a good 50 BR he wasn't in the 400 IM and 200 BR,arguable his best events.

We were wondering the same thing, because he and his family were staying at our hotel. After seeing his family around the pool on Friday, we didn't see them after that.

knelson
August 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
100% speculation, but since Rick already has the WR in both the 400 IM and 200 breast, perhaps he decided spending the rest of his time in SoCal with family was more important than another long day at the pool.

ElaineK
August 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM
My thoughts about Nationals:

In one word: AWESOME! :applaud:

Expecting it to be a complete zoo in the warm-up pools and shower/restroom facilities, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get in good warm-ups and cool downs. The teaching pool was less crowded; I usually only had to share a lane with one or two other people.

Although it was crowded in the restrooms, I never had to wait for a shower and there was a boatload of Tri-Swim products to use. Thanks, Tri-Swim! :agree:

Mission Viejo did an excellent job running the meet, keeping it pretty much on schedule. And, the volunteers and staff were outstanding!

The steel drum player and guitarist were a nice touch; I loved the way they changed the lyrics to the songs for swimming and U.S. Masters. :D

A HUGE thanks to Rob Butcher and the USMS staff for everything they did to make this a terrific meet!

Hey, Natadores, you guys rock! I loved the logo and the medals are AWESOME! Your team did a great job on everything; the details were a great touch: They actually went out and bought several pairs of reading glasses, tied them to long strings, and hung them from the heat sheats and results boards. :lmao:

As for the parking, it wasn't as bad as expected. We were able to park in the lot every single day, by arriving at 6:30 AM. My event was the first one each day, so it worked out great. They also paid the city to allow street parking where it is usually not permitted.

Other thoughts:
-Dara Torres was a class act; she came early and left late and was fantastic!
-Hammer Nutrition was amazing, giving out loads of samples and supporting the swimmers with everything they needed. THANK YOU HAMMER NUTRITION!!! :agree:

Personal highlights:
Although I ended up "racing" with a dislocated rib (details in the Swim Happy thread), I loved every minute in that pool. The highlight, though was getting to race on a relay with world record holder Diann Uustal, a total class act. She actually thanked me and gave me a hug and kiss for swimming with her on the relay! :smooch: That medal means the world to me, even though we came in 6th place, because of me slowing the team down.

Finally, as always, the BEST part was seeing my Forumite friends, especially Debaru! :wiggle: Getting to meet That Guy was another highlight. (I'll get back to you later on that post, buddy :bighug:). I also got to see Bill Sive again, and spend some time with Ande. But, I missed pwb! :bitching: I still owe you those beers!

Thanks to everybody for making this another fantastic and memorable experience! :ohyeah:

And, congratulations to my six Georgia Masters teammates. Between the seven of us, we accumulated enough points to place 7th out of 19 regional teams! You gals rock!

debaru
August 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
My thoughts about Nationals:
In one word: AWESOME! :applaud:
..., as always, the BEST part was seeing my Forumite friends, especially Debaru! :wiggle:

Right back at you, Aquadog!! :bliss: What a great experience!

pdjang
August 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM

I understand that Rick had health issues (heart). He is a magnificent athlete and gentleman. I trust he will be able to resolve this issue and return to swim and set new records again.

knelson
August 15th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I understand that Rick had health issues (heart). He is a magnificent athlete and gentleman. I trust he will be able to resolve this issue and return to swim and set new records again.

Well, gee, that's bad news. I hope it's nothing too serious and we see Rick in the pool again soon!

Allen Stark
August 15th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Well, gee, that's bad news. I hope it's nothing too serious and we see Rick in the pool again soon!

Rick is really a class guy.I hope he gets whatever the problem is resolved soon.

ElaineK
August 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
The following are some videos from Nationals:
Ande's 200 IM (Lane 8, white cap):
JKv7j7yH6ZM&feature=youtu.be

That Guy's 200 IM (Lane 4, black cap, red suit)- Sorry I missed the start:
oHVM4I4HVl4&feature=youtu.be

That Guy's 100 Backstroke (Lane 6, black cap, red suit):
9vYl62BuCyM&feature=youtu.be

95 year old Rita Simonton's 100 Freestyle. I want to grow up to be just like her! (Sorry I lost her in the sun after the turn; it was brutally bright out there!)
_nrz_tgo1ZM&feature=youtu.be

I also wrote a blog post about my experience: http://elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/u-s-masters-swimming-2013-summer-nationals/

For any of you who would like a good laugh, check out the EXTREMELY slow fly portion of my 400 IM, swum with a subluxed (or dislocated) floating rib pressing on my kidney. Although I was in dead last by several meters after the fly, I managed to catch lanes 7 & 8 on backstroke and widened the gap on breaststroke. :D Feel free to offer any stroke critiques, keeping in mind I had to adapt my stroke on fly to accomodate the "OUCH!" on every stroke:
emHqToZFhic&feature=youtu.be

That Guy
August 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
That Guy's 200 IM (Lane 4, black cap, red suit)
Thank you for posting these! Muppet was next to me in the 200 IM, wearing the red cap. I wished him luck before the race and he seemed to have no idea who I was. :-) For bonus points, that day I was rocking my red Nike brief from last year's Go The Distance because I left my jammer in my hotel room.

fdtotten
August 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
The following are some videos from Nationals: ...For any of you who would like a good laugh, check out the EXTREMELY slow fly portion of my 400 IM, swum with a subluxated (or dislocated) floating rib pressing on my kidney. Although I was in dead last by several meters after the fly, I managed to catch lanes 7 & 8 on backstroke and widened the gap on breaststroke.

Thanks for posting the videos. I enjoyed watching all of them! I certainly did not laugh at your 400 IM, but rather was very impressed with your very commendable race, especially under the circumstances. There is no doubt you have achieved much to become the swimmer you are, and yet the video demonstrates you certainly have excellent water feel and balance to improve even more so in each stroke.

thewookiee
August 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Someone should tell That Guy in the red swimsuit to put some sun screen on. I haven't seen anything that pale since visitng a zoo and seeing a polar bear.

Wait, the polar bear had more of a tan.

jaadams1
August 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Someone should tell That Guy in the red swimsuit to put some sun screen on. I haven't seen anything that pale since visitng a zoo and seeing a polar bear.

Wait, the polar bear had more of a tan.:rofl:

knelson
August 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM

That's because we have a beautiful 50 meter outdoor pool right on Puget Sound here in the area, but TG utterly refuses to ever swim there. At least I've never seen him there! :)

thewookiee
August 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
That's because we have a beautiful 50 meter outdoor pool right on Puget Sound here in the area, but TG utterly refuses to ever swim there. At least I've never seen him there! :)

I don't know how anyone could see frosty with all that blinding light.

ElaineK
August 22nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you for posting these! Muppet was next to me in the 200 IM, wearing the red cap. I wished him luck before the race and he seemed to have no idea who I was. :-) For bonus points, that day I was rocking my red Nike brief from last year's Go The Distance because I left my jammer in my hotel room.

Forumites: Check out my blog for the true identity of That Guy! :D

ElaineK
August 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for posting the videos. I enjoyed watching all of them! I certainly did not laugh at your 400 IM, but rather was very impressed with your very commendable race, especially under the circumstances. There is no doubt you have achieved much to become the swimmer you are, and yet the video demonstrates you certainly have excellent water feel and balance to improve even more so in each stroke.

Aha! There you are! I just posted a reply to your comment on my blog asking what name you go by on the Forums. Duh. :doh:

As for you post above- :smooch:. You said just what I needed to hear, as I am sitting here whimpering after a p-p-p-painful trigger point dry needling session with the physical therapist! Thank you!

ElaineK
August 22nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
I don't know how anyone could see frosty with all that blinding light.

At least you can see his skin. With all that hair covering up yours, who knows just how blinding your skin would be after a shave down! :afraid:

thewookiee
August 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
At least you can see his skin. With all that hair covering up yours, who knows just how blinding your skin would be after a shave down! :afraid:

It's pretty freaking blinding, esp. in the summertime.

Allen Stark
August 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
I understand that polar bears have dark skin under the fur.Their hair is actually hollow and conducts light to the skin for warming.
As to TGs skin,I heard this about us Oregonians,but it is probably true for all in the Great Pacific Northwest:What did the Oregonian say to the Pillsbury Doughboy?- "Nice tan."

ElaineK
August 22nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
As to TGs skin,I heard this about us Oregonians,but it is probably true for all in the Great Pacific Northwest:What did the Oregonian say to the Pillsbury Doughboy?- "Nice tan."
:lmao:

That Guy
August 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM

Colman pool is a 37 mile drive... I might get sunburned on the way there

knelson
August 23rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Colman pool is a 37 mile drive... I might get sunburned on the way there

Wow, didn't realize it was that far for you. I guess it's close to 20 for me.

ElaineK
August 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I just added a photo album of 14 pictures from Nationals: http://forums.usms.org/album.php?albumid=478

knelson
August 24th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Nice shots, Elaine. Looks like you had a great time!

ElaineK
August 24th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Nice shots, Elaine. Looks like you had a great time!

Thanks! It was a blast! :bliss: