PDA

View Full Version : Monofin - Worth it?

Boomerang
May 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Am seeing more sprint workouts using monofins and am wondering if the benefit is worth the $ investment. I have zero experience with a monofin - is there really a difference between using monofin and just regular fins? What are some typical training scenarios where you'd use a monofin instead? Anyone with personal experience for/against a monofin feel free to comment. Thanks!

ElaineK
May 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Am seeing more sprint workouts using monofins and am wondering if the benefit is worth the $ investment. I have zero experience with a monofin - is there really a difference between using monofin and just regular fins? What are some typical training scenarios where you'd use a monofin instead? Anyone with personal experience for/against a monofin feel free to comment. Thanks!

Fort (The Fortress) swears by her monofin. If she doesn't see your post, you might want to send her a PM. She would be worth listening to, as she is world record holder. :agree:

smontanaro
May 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm curious if there are issues with monofins in lap swim settings. Aren't they made of stiff fiberglass? Might be a safety issue if you're not lucky enough to have a lane to yourself. Leslie will probably know about this aspect as well.

OTOH, if you can't use it in the pool, it would be kind of cool to use it in open water. :-)

Syd
May 22nd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Even if you only use it just to do this (http://swimswam.com/biggest-monofin-jump-on-video/), I think it worthwhile.

Jimbosback
May 22nd, 2013, 11:06 PM
Even if you only use it just to do this (http://swimswam.com/biggest-monofin-jump-on-video/), I think it worthwhile.

I don't know anything about monofins, but now I really want to see how high Fortress can dolphin jump!

Atlantic
May 23rd, 2013, 09:28 AM
Finis has the Foil Monofin which is made out of typical fin rubber. The other popular monofin is the Shooter, which is made out of fiberglass (I think). I have both, but recommend that you get the Foil to start with - it's cheaper and you don't feel like you are going to do damage to your lane mates. I only use the shooter alone (but wow can you move fast in that thing). I use monofins for better SDK's (primarily use them during kick sets). A former teammate of mine used the huge Trainer monofin to use during fly sets. Just give yourself a little extra time to get your finsox and the fins on during practice.

The Fortress
May 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I really want to see how high Fortress can dolphin jump!

And I want to try it!

There is a difference between regular fins and a monofin, if you're using the Finis Shooter. It is made out of fiberglass and provides a ton of resistance. You will get a better feel for the SDK motion with the MF and better strengthening for your legs/glute/core. I use the MF for both AFAP and DPK work. I rarely use it for more than a 25, but I do occasionally do a fast 50 or 100 with it. You do need to work up to it gradually because it can be hard on the ankles and knees. I tried the Foil MF, but sent it back. For me, it was no different than two fins. But for someone just beginning to work on SDK or with touchy ankle/knees, it might be a good starter monofin.

The fiberglass one is very sharp. I won't use it unless I'm in a lane alone. I dropped the blade on my foot once and now have a permanent foot injury, which I'll have to fix one day.

Here's an article from USAS swimming on improving your SDK, which recommends using a MF: http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=4052&mid=8712

ourswimmer
May 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
The fiberglass one is very sharp. I won't use it unless I'm in a lane alone.

I agree, particularly because until you master the device it's a little hard to control where you go but you do go there pretty fast.

fatboy
May 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
The speed you get from a fin, and the amount of force you need to use them, depends on the size of the blade and the stiffness of the blade. If two fins are the same material the larger one will be faster (on the same person) if you are strong enough to push them.

You can work your way up through a series of fins to build up your legs/glute/core to get ready for a monofin. Maybe you can borrow some fins from team mates to test them to see were you are at.

Bill Sive
May 24th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Small suggestion to try an ankle strap before you buy the monofin. I put on an ankle strap and do my dolphin kicks and underwater streamline kicks too, while wearing my zoomers. It does not replace a monofin, but its a reasonable alternative. I get a pretty good workout with my legs doing this.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=33093&gclid=CJKSstz7rbcCFatV4god53YAbA

Boomerang
May 25th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks, all!

orca1946
May 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I have used a velcro strap to make my 2 fins act as a cheap mono fin. It's a cheap way to do it to see if it's right for you.