PDA

View Full Version : Diet

TooPro
May 28th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I've realized how much of an idiot I've been.Doing Paleo while also including CrossFit workouts I won't be able to sustain myself, let alone build.

Ill still attempt to cut down on processed foods, but I doubt giving up grains completely is a good idea...
And a glass of chocolate milk after practice always make me feel better :p

Is there any specific diet I should follow by name, or just some controlled diet you guys can advise me on?

im trying to merge my swimming and CrossFit so I'll be doing CrossFit Basics again 3 times a week which is just simple movements like push-ups, but they're still pretty high intensity which is what I think I need. That is until I can build up to Level I again.

I ontop of doing Basics 3 times a week will be doing 2 hours of swimming 4 times a week, with meets on Saturday.I can't really comment on the intensity since its beginning of season, but lets assume that it's a decently difficult swim board.

How much should I be sleeping as well?

I've never really been too serious about swimming, I've been dedicated to the sport itself, but I want to really do whatever I can outside the pool to help.

__steve__
May 29th, 2013, 07:14 AM
It's more simple than it seems, maybe fads rely on the complexity.

Balanced diet: fresh variety of fruits and vegetables several times a day, protein for function and to sustain, fats and complex sugars (fruits, grains, wine, etc) for energy and vitality. If your loosing weight or strength, increase the calories accordingly.

I go through about a 16 oz jar of organic peanut butter (without sugar)
every day or two to suppliment my meals. For just $5 you get 2940 calories, and in an ideal quality:
100g protein
224 of high energy fat
28g of fiber.

If protein supplementation is accepted, it can be convenient too.

What type of swimming do you focus on (i.e. distance, triathlon, sprinting, mid distance, fitness)?

TooPro
May 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
It's more simple than it seems, maybe fads rely on the complexity.

Balanced diet: fresh variety of fruits and vegetables several times a day, protein for function and to sustain, fats and complex sugars (fruits, grains, wine, etc) for energy and vitality. If your loosing weight or strength, increase the calories accordingly.

I go through about a 16 oz jar of organic peanut butter (without sugar)
every day or two to suppliment my meals. For just $5 you get 2940 calories, and in an ideal quality:
100g protein
224 of high energy fat
28g of fiber.

If protein supplementation is accepted, it can be convenient too.

What type of swimming do you focus on (i.e. distance, triathlon, sprinting, mid distance, fitness)?

i do a few sprints (100s) and a few mid distances such as 200s. I also do the occasional mile and some long distances.

Ive realized I just need a lot of common sense in diet, I'll try and substitute what I need for swimming purposes into a nice clean dirt.
thanks!

Chris Stevenson
May 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I've realized how much of an idiot I've been.Doing Paleo while also including CrossFit workouts I won't be able to sustain myself, let alone build.

Ill still attempt to cut down on processed foods, but I doubt giving up grains completely is a good idea...
And a glass of chocolate milk after practice always make me feel better :p

Is there any specific diet I should follow by name, or just some controlled diet you guys can advise me on?

IMO you need to either count calories or do something similar (eg WeightWatcher points) in a manner that takes into account the exercises you do and also allows you to achieve your weight loss goals in a controlled manner.

I have done WeightWatchers before and its a good program, but I don't like the meetings (waste of time IMO). But recently I've been using the LoseIt app (http://www.loseit.com/) and it's been great, and unlike WW it is free. It is basically just a calorie-counting program, but with a smartphone it is ridiculously easy to track your meals and calories. You set your weight-loss goals (eg 1.5 pounds per week) and away you go. It tracks how far you are over or under in a particular week, so if you have a bad day you can make up for it. Or alternatively you can "save up" calories for a sin later in the week. You are free to eat healthy obviously (which I do); it is probably even compatible with the paleo diet (which I don't know much about).

Compared to the WW online program it doesn't seem to have quite as good a catalog of restaurants but you can also find that information elsewhere online. Plus you develop a pretty decent sense of the number of calories of various dishes so you can hazard a reasonably good guess sometimes. I try to leave a "buffer" in such cases by guessing conservatively.

I know there are people out there who pooh-pooh the idea of counting calories and all that, but over the last few months I've been losing at exactly the rate that the app says I should be, and it absolutely has not impacted my energy levels in training in swimming or cycling.

I have a swimming buddy who also runs and he's been doing paleo and has been just fine. He's lost a lot of weight but he still seems to be swimming fast in practice; he just went to spring nationals and had a good meet, so it doesn't seem to have impacted his performance. Just be aware that (IMO) many diets don't seem to give "serious" athletes enough credit for exercise. It isn't just the calories consumed during training, it is also the calories associated with recovery.

My general impression is that there are a lot of decent diet programs out there, just be sure that you eat enough carbs to fuel your training. But obviously not too many: getting the right amount is why you need to track both food and exercise.

TooPro
May 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
IMO you need to either count calories or do something similar (eg WeightWatcher points) in a manner that takes into account the exercises you do and also allows you to achieve your weight loss goals in a controlled manner.

I have done WeightWatchers before and its a good program, but I don't like the meetings (waste of time IMO). But recently I've been using the LoseIt app (http://www.loseit.com/) and it's been great, and unlike WW it is free. It is basically just a calorie-counting program, but with a smartphone it is ridiculously easy to track your meals and calories. You set your weight-loss goals (eg 1.5 pounds per week) and away you go. It tracks how far you are over or under in a particular week, so if you have a bad day you can make up for it. Or alternatively you can "save up" calories for a sin later in the week. You are free to eat healthy obviously (which I do); it is probably even compatible with the paleo diet (which I don't know much about).

Compared to the WW online program it doesn't seem to have quite as good a catalog of restaurants but you can also find that information elsewhere online. Plus you develop a pretty decent sense of the number of calories of various dishes. - a ax wax ax Ada. A a so you can hazard a reasonably good guess sometimes. I try to leave a "buffer" in such cases by guessing conservatively.

I know there are people out there who pooh-pooh the idea of counting calories and all that, but over the last few months I've been losing at exactly the rate that the app says I should be, and it absolutely has not impacted my energy levels in training in swimming or cycling.

I have a swimming buddy who also runs and he's been doing paleo and has been just fine. He's lost a lot of weight but he still seems to be swimming fast in practice; he just went to spring nationals and had a good meet, so it doesn't seem to have impacted his performance. Just be aware that (IMO) many diets don't seem to give "serious" athletes enough credit for exercise. It isn't just the calories consumed during training, it is also the calories associated with recovery.

My general impression is that there are a lot of decent diet programs out there, just be sure that you eat enough carbs to fuel your training. But obviously not too many: getting the right amount is why you need to track both food and exercise.

Good idea. I'll track calories, but how do I figure out how many calories I'm burning via swimming? If anyone can help me it's pretty cold water and mostly 1 and a half hours of swimming. Also should I just basically guess on hoe many cals I'm burning on three Basics workouts?

thankkksss

I actually wouldn't mind weight gain if it means more muscle gain.

JWAJack
May 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I started using the LoseIt app in early February (first week ended with the Superbowl -- did an extra long workout in preparation) as well to drop 17 pounds (or so, depending on the day) going from 200 to 183 (more or less) and it includes calorie credits for exercise at different intensity levels (it has swimming, running, pull-ups, home repair). I've been maintaining my weight loss now (with as 2600 calorie budget) for two months or so (I vary by 2-3 pounds and set my maintenance weight slightly below where I really want to be), and don't really input my meals as I generally know what I can eat to maintain my goal. I think the app's greatest benefit is educational -- you finally understand how many calories each food item really has, and you can make informed choices about what you'd prefer to eat to stay within your allocation.

Chris Stevenson
May 30th, 2013, 10:35 AM
how do I figure out how many calories I'm burning via swimming? If anyone can help me it's pretty cold water and mostly 1 and a half hours of swimming. Also should I just basically guess on hoe many cals I'm burning on three Basics workouts?

In the app (and on the website) you can add exercises that increase your allowed caloric intake. Most exercises have various intensity levels. The activities I do most right now are cycling and swimming, and the amount of "credit" the app gives me for those activities seems to be working. The amount of credit for weight-lifting seems a little low to me, but I don't fudge it.

I didn't see one specifically for "cross-fit" but you can create your own exercise in the app. If you do some research you can probably come up with a pretty reasonable estimate. The only thing I'd say is that if the exercise is very intense, add a little extra buffer (maybe 10% or so) to account for energy expense for post-workout recovery and increased metabolism level.

Once you create an account, it will sync across all your devices and you can also access the info on your computer thru a browser. Like I said, there is nothing about it that prevents you from following a Paleo diet (or any other kind), but it will alert you if you aren't getting enough fuel for your training. Pick a reasonable weight-loss goal, say 1 or 1.5 lbs per week, and don't go way under or over your weekly calorie limit. The website produces decent reports so after (say) 4 weeks you can look to see if your goals are being met. If they aren't then moderate your intake accordingly.

fmracing
May 30th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Similar to what chris said, I'm also tracking calories via smartphone app. I use myfitnesspal. It seems to have a pretty vast catalog of food already there, even regional gas station food, lol. Its a rare occasion when I can't find the exact thing I just ate or at least many options for very similar meals. An example would be my local hot dog stand, you look up chicago dog and there's about 80 different listings, many with toppings included to estimate from. You can also just scan the barcode of what you just ate, and it will input all the calories and other nutritional information for you so you can also track protein intake, vitamins, etc.

As chris said. It also has a similar area where you can select by excercise and it'll put in a calories burned and subtract that to give you a net intake for the day. The thing that baffles me, compared to most people all my cruise speed swims are "fast/vigorous", but to me they're light/moderate except for sprint sets. I usually won't factor in the rest between repeats unless its more than 5 minutes worth in a workout. Most the time i put in 30min light and 15min fast to cover a more approximate level of my actual workout. It even has "lawn mowing" on there under cardio... so I put that in too on mowing days and I can have a couple extra oreos and stay out of the negative, lol.

So far soo good for results on that app too. As long as you're honest it really can help you. Down 10lbs in about 6 weeks or so. Thats more than I told it I wanted to lose, so maybe the estimations are a little more suited to the general population, than an athelete in training.