PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and Fasting

TooPro
May 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
As a practicing Muslim, in the month of Ramadaan, I'm required to fast. Meaning no food or water from dawn to sundown. I'm wondering if because of this I might as well abandon all hope of doing anything in the career of Swimming. I do plan on doing CrossFit to stay in shape, but nothing can replace quality swimming.

So do I really have no chance of making it anywhere, such as the Olympic because of this? Or is there still some bleak of hope?

Rob Copeland
May 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
So do I really have no chance of making it anywhere, such as the Olympic because of this? Or is there still some bleak of hope?Your coach will have a much better handle on your chances of reaching the Olympics then any of us. Also, if you are training/competing at the level to get you to the Olympics, then your coach should have access to nutritionists who can build a diet to meet your religious needs.

knelson
May 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
So do I really have no chance of making it anywhere, such as the Olympic because of this? Or is there still some bleak of hope?

I don't think fasting for Ramadan is going to affect your chances of making the Olympics in swimming. Altering your training and/or your training schedule for 28 days isn't that big of a deal. Unfortunately Ramadan falls this year during many of the major summer meets. If you want to compete this summer maybe you should look for an early or late meet.

Here's a story for you:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-07-18/olympics-ramadan-fasting/56322658/1

TooPro
May 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Your coach will have a much better handle on your chances of reaching the Olympics then any of us. Also, if you are training/competing at the level to get you to the Olympics, then your coach should have access to nutritionists who can build a diet to meet your religious needs.
I, not currently at an extremely good leek, like Olympic level, mostly because I'm still young. But I'm really dedicated and going full hard at swimming and doing anything I can to continue performance improvements.

Im trying to be more self-made, and my coach currently is giving us amazing workouts in the water, but he doesn't give too much nutritional advice or anything like that. I can contact nutritionists myself if need be. But I think I have a pretty good grasp on what I need to do. Apperantly Michael Phelps had taken months off before London. So I think it's possible.

Thanks man!

I don't think fasting for Ramadan is going to affect your chances of making the Olympics in swimming. Altering your training and/or your training schedule for 28 days isn't that big of a deal. Unfortunately Ramadan falls this year during many of the major summer meets. If you want to compete this summer maybe you should look for an early or late meet.

Here's a story for you:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-07-18/olympics-ramadan-fasting/56322658/1

Alright thanks! I read the link. I'll miss the championship, but I don't mind very much. I might be able to practice in the mornings or late at night in which case ill skip fasting the day of the meet and make it up later.

TooPro
June 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Here's a story for you:

umm sorry for the bump, but I'm considering going to the Junior Olympics again this year, and do you guys think if I stop swimming for two weeks, but am keeping my body in shape, and right before JO I spend 1week practicing, I'll be able to get sme good times?

Rob Copeland
June 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
It depends on what you define as good times.

For most swimmers, a proper taper for a big meet includes almost daily water time in the weeks before the meet. Your coach is the best judge of how you should train to prepare for a big meet and it may take a couple of seasons of work with your coach to find what works best for you.

TooPro
June 10th, 2013, 01:03 PM
It depends on what you define as good times.

For most swimmers, a proper taper for a big meet includes almost daily water time in the weeks before the meet. Your coach is the best judge of how you should train to prepare for a big meet and it may take a couple of seasons of work with your coach to find what works best for you.
I guess I'll talk to my coach!

TooPro
June 10th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Maybe I'll delay fasting.. This is a hard decision :(

__steve__
June 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM
if I stop swimming for two weeks, ..... I'll be able to get sme good times?Train and gain weight now, the three week period leading up to JO will just make you more rested and faster, particularly in 50m events.

robertsrobson
June 10th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Several years ago I mentored a young Muslim track athlete. He faced this dilemma and decided to fast. He didn't prepare well for it and, despite our conversations, tried to train fully and ended up in hospital on a drip.

We discussed doing a modified fast, which would at least be a structured commitment, but he wasn't keen on that.

I've found some tips that seem sensible:
http://www.adriansprints.com/2011/08/effect-of-ramadan-fasting-on-athletes.html

Most important - use the hours that you can eat and drink to keep well hydrated and stock up on nutrients (obvious, but the challenge is that it is overnight)...

Rob

orca1946
June 10th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Are you able to make trials q times ?? That is where to start.

TooPro
June 10th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Are you able to make trials q times ?? That is where to start.
Not sure what you mean? I can message you my times after this upcoming meet?

TooPro
June 10th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Several years ago I mentored a young Muslim track athlete. He faced this dilemma and decided to fast. He didn't prepare well for it and, despite our conversations, tried to train fully and ended up in hospital on a drip.

We discussed doing a modified fast, which would at least be a structured commitment, but he wasn't keen on that.

I've found some tips that seem sensible:
http://www.adriansprints.com/2011/08/effect-of-ramadan-fasting-on-athletes.html

Most important - use the hours that you can eat and drink to keep well hydrated and stock up on nutrients (obvious, but the challenge is that it is overnight)...

Rob

ok, I'll be drinking lots of water and continue doing crossfit workouts, I might add in some supplements, any advice?

robertsrobson
June 12th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Not really - that's best left to the professionals, but the article had some good tips towards the bottom.

I guess that from a lay perspective, the last meal before fasting each day should contain 'slow release' energy sources - wholegrain, proteins, nuts etc. As for supplements, I'd certainly consider vitamins, but other than that couldn't really advise.

__steve__
June 12th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Fats also are slow release and also have the highest density of energy.