PDA

View Full Version : Swim watches/computers

cosmo
May 31st, 2013, 04:31 PM
Just wondering... if you use a swim watch/calc to count laps/distance/calories/time while doing your workout, does the computer adjust according to what swim your doing?

I generally do freestyle, then breaststroke, then use a kickboard for a 150-200m of freestyle and/or breaststroke kick work. then occasionally mix in some backstroke if I'm up for it.

do these watches/calculators factor that in or is it simply measuring the time your in the water with no adjustments for the stroke? I'd be really interested in knowing that answer and in particular do these calculators count the kickboard part of a workout since your arms aren't really moving?

Im constantly looking at watches to use for a swim workout but since Im a patient buyer and hate to waste money I haven't actually bought one yet. kindof need to get over the hurdle of trusting these things are accurate and provide the info I want before I shell out the money.

thanks for reading and hope someone here has an answer.

ALM
June 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
We tested several different swim watches for the Nov/Dec 2012 issue of SWIMMER magazine. If you are a USMS member, you can access that issue online through your MyUSMS account. This is a great benefit of being a USMS member!

I tested both the Garmin and Finis products. I believe both of them could tell which stroke I was doing, and both were pretty accurate about sensing and counting the number of yards of each stroke. They don't know when you're kicking - if memory serves me correctly, I believe there was a way to pause the watch for kick sets.

Anna Lea Matysek