PDA

View Full Version : Don't Fence Me In Bro!

bzaks1424
May 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM
As part of the the USMS Fitness Committee's ongoing efforts to encourage new and exciting forms of fitness, we'd like to get a feel for what you do for fun in the water.

This round's topic:
“Don’t Fence Me In” for swimming in a ‘new-to-the-swimmer’ body of open water. Open water is attracting more swimmers all the time. Try out a new swim in a new location and tell us about your experience.

tigerchik
May 31st, 2013, 05:00 PM
What I do for fun in the water? Waterski!

orca1946
May 31st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Not really open water ,but under water -- scuba dive in warmer waters of the gulf of Mexico & Australia.

Fresnoid
May 31st, 2013, 06:21 PM
For cross training, try Prancercize:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJJs-sFAqU

Bill Sive
May 31st, 2013, 11:28 PM
I want a team of Prancercizers in matching red and white outfits Prancercizing in front of me in December when I do my Santa Speedo Run. Oh Yeah!!!!!

ekw
June 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
I did my first substantial (i.e. more than a mile and out of sight of land) open water swim a few weeks ago - the Pensacola 3-Mile Bridge Swim. It was a lot of fun - I have the full rundown on my USMS blog. I'm definitely going to do some more open water in the future. My head was in a very different place out there than it is in the pool.

ElaineK
June 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM
My first open water swim competition was last July at Lake Acworth, Georgia, for the Georgia Games. I swam the 3K race in just over an hour, and then hopped right back in for the 1K race in 20 minutes. After the race, I felt like I could have kept on swimming. As a sprinter, I was quite surprised at how I felt after those races! At that point, my coach convinced me that I am well-suited for distance swimming.

In May, I got in some enjoyable open water swims in Sanibel, Florida, swimming parallel to the beach, back and forth, near the causeway, while my husband fished. A dolphin swam near me on two of my swims. :D

We're off to St. Augustine later this month and I'm looking forward to checking out the open water swimming opportunities there, as well as some kayak surfing, if my neck can handle it. For me, kayak surfing is the most FUN I have had in the water, besides SCUBA diving. :ohyeah:

bzaks1424
June 3rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
My very first open water was with Swim Across America - back in July of 2010. I was just learning to swim and prospect of swimming without my clear water and my black line was a little nerve wracking for me. Fortunately - Lake Michigan was very well behaved that day and I was in a great mood. I swam the mile loop and enjoyed it. I remember stepping out of the water being dizzy, and having to open my wet suit immediately. (Did I mention those things are awesome? Except they squeeze the chest way too much!) It was well worth learning - but honestly now - I still only swim open water 2 times a year. 1 being swim across america and the other being Big Shoulders in the same place.

tigerchik
June 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
My new open water swim spot last summer was Some's Sound on Mt Desert Island, ME. It is the only natural fjord in North America. It was a great swim and I was glowing for a few days after. I've seen seals in that water when I've been in it in a kayak :-)

flystorms
June 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Just got back from St John USVI and the Beach to Beach Power Swim. OMG, it was like swimming in a fish tank. I admit to being a bit like Dory in Finding Nemo as it was so easy to get distracted by all the stuff you can see while swimming the race. It was just incredible. And the currents were at our backs for most of hte race so I felt like I was flying. They have 3 course lengths (1m, 2.5m, 3.5m) and each has an an assisted (snorkel/fins) or unassisted category. The race was very well organized and run. Prizes were locally handcrafted glass works. I almost hate to tell more people about it because it's such a great secret, but it's just incredible. And stay on St John to explore the area. We spent 4 days there and 3 in St Thomas, but wish we'd have skipped St Thomas completely.