PDA

View Full Version : The "eeew" factor...sharing a pool with a kids' team

harleycodr
June 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
I just got finished with my Sunday morning swim and noticed, last week, the presence of a bandaid in the pool. It had migrated somehow over to the other side of the pool today - but maybe not. We share the pool with a kids' swim team. So this meant that about a month ago, the pool temp was raised to 82 (from a nice 78 that we all appreciate), and now, bandaids in the pool.

Just makes me want to hurl...

After the swim we did a bandaid count per lane and 3 were spotted. Ew ew ew.

Last weekend, someone messed with the heater and the pool was 92! Took a few days to cool back 'down' to 82. (Today it was 83). Just wanted to vent a little. If you have a bandaid, remove it prior to entering the pool..or better yet, use that Nu skin stuff instead. That won't fall off while swimming, contributing to the eeew factor....

ALM
June 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
If you are sharing a pool with a kids' team, band-aids should be the least of your worries...

StewartACarroll
June 2nd, 2013, 02:11 PM
I too find them gross, but instead of just letting them float around the pool I have taken to grabbing the plastic bag I always keep in my swim bag(protects hand written work outs) and swim down and pick them up with the bag. They are gross, but the only get worse if you leave them.

jaadams1
June 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
You're in a chlorinated pool. Honestly and sincerely...Get over it. Anything that was on the bandaid has been killed away anyway. Just pick it up and go.

Chances are the pool is used for public swims and/or lessons at some point of the days/weeks as well, so you have all sorts of folks there. Not to mention adult "lap swims" that we all know and love. Talk about EWWWWWW...

...and like Anna Lea mentioned...this should be the least of your worries. :) I swim amongst the kids, and get smacked, kicked, run into all the time. I consider that worse than an inanimate object on the bottom of the pool.

knelson
June 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
So only kids use Bandaids? At least they tend to sink to the bottom.

PoulsboH20
June 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
So only kids use Bandaids? At least they tend to sink to the bottom.

Agreed.

Swim open water for a season. You'll be fine with Band Aides after that.

swimshark
June 3rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
...and like Anna Lea mentioned...this should be the least of your worries. :) I swim amongst the kids, and get smacked, kicked, run into all the time. I consider that worse than an inanimate object on the bottom of the pool.

Same here. I have had them mention they had just peed while standing next to me. So a band aid would be a luxury at that time! In the pool where only my age group team practices we also have spiders, frogs, birds, band aids, peeing, etc. It just comes with the territory.

jpetyk
June 3rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
I once had to swim in a pool with a dead bat. He had lane 1 all to himself. :drown:

smontanaro
June 3rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
I once had to swim in a pool with a dead bat. He had lane 1 all to himself. :drown:

Let me guess... His specialty was the batstroke?

fmracing
June 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Bandaids in a backyard pool, probably solvable. Bandaids in a public pool, not so much. Things like this are why they chlorinate the water, and also why we have immune systems. Swimming in an open body of water is FAR more gross to me, btw.

jpetyk
June 3rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Let me guess... His specialty was the batstroke?
:lolup: Now that's funny

aquageek
June 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
If band-aids gross you out in a pool you might want to reconsider swimming as your sport.

poolraat
June 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
In addition to most of the things mentioned above (except the bat) we get voles and earthworms in the pool in the summer. My major issue is with the hairballs that remain and seem to grow. For me, the ewww factor is getting a hair across my face or stuck in my fingers while swimming.

JimRude
June 3rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
If band-aids gross you out in a pool you might want to reconsider swimming as your sport.

Word.

Mini Shark
June 4th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Inevitably, the subject of pool contamination would come up sooner or later.

However if your grossed out by the usual contaminants in a pool, just Google Images for the phrase "Malabanan Pozo Negro". There are 1000's people working in the Philipines who make a living swimming in a lot worse stuff and somehow, they survive without contracting diseases.

fmracing
June 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Google Images for the phrase "Malabanan Pozo Negro".

I just did this, and I don't think I could've come up with more ads on one page than even a search for "all ads" would yield.

harleycodr
June 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm not giving up swimming; I put it out there as an amused discussion. I'm a big fan of chlorine (except for how it dries out my hair but there are remedies for this).

Haven't done an open water swim yet; I've wondered about the inhabitants who would be present while doing an open water swim...not as an eew but an ouch!

ALLISONWARE
June 9th, 2013, 11:34 AM
My major issue is with the hairballs that remain and seem to grow. For me, the ewww factor is getting a hair across my face or stuck in my fingers while swimming.

+1 I become an instant ninja, much like trail running & hitting a spiderweb (which also happens frequently). Half the summer time in an outdoor LCM pool @ a Y, the rest of the time at a SCY/LCM community center sharing with about 300 age groupers a day. Happens often.

msgrupp
June 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM
We had a duck join us in an outdoor 50 meter pool. He/she came during the family swim (towards the end) and walked around the deck while the guards worried about what he/she would leave there. Duck hopped into the lane next to the wall while the adults took the other 8 lanes. Duck had lane to him/herself. Did at least one length and then left!

ddl
June 10th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Duck had lane to him/herself. Did at least one length and then left!

Probably in utter disgust by the water condition. :cool:

orca1946
June 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I'll take that over the 9 inch spider I swam with in a pool in Australia !!!!!!!