PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

skachick4286
January 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM
[FONT=arial]Hi everybody, I am a new member to this forum, and an 18 year old high school swimmer. Although I participated as a child, I started swimming seriously last winter when my school got a team. This year, I'm a captain, working on lowering my time of 7:26 in the 500 free. I have taken off over 30 seconds from my over-8 minute time of last season, but I really want to get under 7 minutes by the end of the season. If anyone has any tips that could help me with this goal, or on the 200 free or 100 back (which I am less worried about and only swim to get a few points for my team- I'm not too good at back), it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rob Copeland
January 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM
The two most important factors in lowering your time are improving your endurance and improving your technique. Your coach should be able to help with both of these. I would suggest you ask the coach if they can spend some time before or after your regular practice to work on technique. Without seeing your stroke it is tough to provide specifics. However in general, work your turns, streamline off every wall, make sure you maintain good body position, get a good deep catch at the top of your stroke, pull with your entire arm not just your hand, and finish the stroke well past your hip.