PDA

View Full Version : Masters Workouts in Uppsala, Sweden?

martonosi
June 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM
HI all--
I will be spending a couple weeks in Uppsala, Sweden soon. Can anyone point me towards a masters swim group with whom I might be able to drop-in for workouts? I can find a couple pools online, but haven't found a masters group yet.

Thanks!
Margaret

knelson
June 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Have you visited the Swedish swimming federation's masters page?
http://iof3.idrottonline.se/SvenskaSimforbundet/Varagrenar/Masters/

martonosi
June 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, that page is helpful in that it points me to this Upsala page:
http://www2.idrottonline.se/default.aspx?id=352607

This looks like a big operation and very active, but even with google-translate helping me figure out the Swedish, I can't find much about *masters* swimming on it. Most of the items seem to be about younger age-groupers, if I am understanding things correctly.

Anyway, I know it's a long shot but if someone has more info or can help me find it, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again!

knelson
June 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM
This looks like a big operation and very active, but even with google-translate helping me figure out the Swedish, I can't find much about *masters* swimming on it.

Yes, I noticed the same thing, unfortunately.

ourswimmer
June 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Don't be afraid to email someone in English, with appropriate politenesses about how you are not just assuming they speak English but if they do you'd like some info. A lot of Scandinavians do speak English and you might well get the info you want that way.

Celestial
June 14th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Don't be afraid to email someone in English, with appropriate politenesses about how you are not just assuming they speak English but if they do you'd like some info. A lot of Scandinavians do speak English and you might well get the info you want that way.
I second that. Swedes are taught English from grade school - it's mandatory. My son had two Swedish room mates his freshman year, and believe me, they sounded American.

martonosi
June 16th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the help, all. I ended up swimming at a health club with a 25m pool within easy walking/biking distance of my hotel. (The Arctic Centralbadet --- a daypass was around $10.) Interestingly, virtually all the lap swimming lanes were devoted to different speeds of breaststroke. I swam in the "extra fast lane" --- the only one where any freestyle was happening. For the record, I am NOT extra fast. :-) But it's a beautiful pool with a great wall of windows looking out to the Cathedral.