PDA

View Full Version : NY Times--swimming and fear (kids related)

msgrupp
June 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/swimming-and-the-fear-factor/

smontanaro
June 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM
This seems odd: So Ms. Barbier, herself an avid swimmer, signed the child up for lessons at a high school near their Brooklyn home.

You would think that as an avid swimmer Ms. Barbier wouldn't have waited until her daughter was six to get her in swim lessons.

msgrupp
June 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM
could be an age restriction. When I took swim lessons, back in the 60s, you had to be 48" tall to take lessons in the high school pool. I could take lessons outdoors at age 6. I think I was 9 before I could do the indoor thing.

smontanaro
June 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
could be an age restriction.

That's unlikely to be an issue these days. (Not saying it wouldn't have been a plausible reason 50 years ago.) Where I live you can do "mom/dad and me" at the Y for infants, with formal lessons common for three-year-olds. I would expect in trendy Brooklyn there are no shortage of opportunities available these days.

Waternixie
June 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Some kids are not ready to take swimming lessons at an early age. Some of the older coaches I have spoken to have said that developmentally, kids are not all ready to learn the swimming strokes at an early. I took my son to swimming lessons when he was a toddler and that didn't work out too well. I tried again with group lessons starting when he was in preschool and he was not getting it. It was very frustrating to me as a swimmer. On the other hand, he always did love playing in the water and he was very comfortable. I would just let him play with my eye on himand he got strong enough for swimming doing that. Somewhere in that time, it dawned on me that the reason he wasn't learning to swim at his lessons was that he was spending too much waiting at the wall for his turn and he's get cold. He never had a chance to reinforce what he was learning since we didn't belong to a gym with a pool at the time. I finally had him start private lessons when he was 7 and he caught on really quickly. The one on one and the constant opportunity to try out what he was being corrected on really made a difference. He may also have finally been ready to learn to swim at that age.

Bobinator
June 12th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Before a child is sent off to swimming lessons they need to be comfortable playing in the water. We started going to the pool when my kids were toddlers; before that we'd fill up the tub and play in there with toys, splashes, giggles.
These days with the zero depth entry pools and splash parks with elaborate play pools it's easy for a toddler to cruise around in the water and have a blast.
When swim lessons finally begin it's better to have 5 days of consecutive lessons than 5 weeks of lessons @ 1 per week. While the child is taking lessons be sure they get some free time at the pool to work or practice on their skills too. It takes the average person 42 attempts to reach any level of mastery.