PDA

View Full Version : Fitness swimmers

elainekhowley
June 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
hi there-
I'm looking to talk with a few fitness swimmers (those who don't compete in either pool or open water competitions) but who are ardent Masters swimmers who enjoy workouts and the fitness/social aspects of Masters swimming. I'd like to learn more about your experiences. Please reply if this describes you.
Thanks!
Elaine

vo2
June 10th, 2013, 12:24 PM
hi there-
I'm looking to talk with a few fitness swimmers (those who don't compete in either pool or open water competitions) but who are ardent Masters swimmers who enjoy workouts and the fitness/social aspects of Masters swimming. I'd like to learn more about your experiences. Please reply if this describes you.
Thanks!
Elaine

Elaine I have run the full course the past 3 decades. Swim for fun, HS, Masters and triathlon training. One needn't swim in any meets to be in a Masters group. Part of the fun of training with others in my experience is knowing everyone else is hurting right along with ya as well! Plus it's fun to have an excuse to stop by Moe's and eat a Home Wrecker with the crew! Lastly, I simply don't have the motivation or dedication to prescribe sick-o workouts to myself any longer and leave that to sadistic coaches;)

Now, if your goal is to just swim a bit and have fun w/o hurting too much there isn't a thing wrong with that either. 'Fitness' can be a very broad term in it's practical application. Some of the animals I swim with don't consider themselves in 'fit' range until they hit 25k a week. I burn out mentally at that yardage so keep it at 15 to maybe 20 at most/week. Others like to come in for 30 minutes 3x a week and that's great too! Just find what you like and stick with it I love to see more peeps in the water.