PDA

View Full Version : Nationals in Mission Viejo

Michael Heather
June 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Who is going? Or what pitiful excuse are you going to use to not go? Entries are still available until July 3, beat the rush.

Rob Copeland
June 13th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Or what pitiful excuse are you going to use to not go?My pitiful excuses are funds and time.

Mission Viejo is a phenomenal venue and I wish great success to all swimmers and the host.:banana::cheerleader:

ekw
June 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Or what pitiful excuse are you going to use to not go?

My pitiful bank account :2cents: is my excuse. :(

knelson
June 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Or what pitiful excuse are you going to use to not go?

I'm leaning toward not going and my excuse is the five day format. Two of my best events are on the first day and the last day, and that's just longer than I'd like to be away for a travel meet. I haven't decided for sure, but I'll probably do a meet I can drive to this summer instead (almost certainly it will be the Gil Young meet at Mount Hood CC in late August).

thewookiee
June 13th, 2013, 10:00 AM
1) It's in southern california

2) It is an outdoor meet

3) It's in southern california

4) Not willing to sit on a plane for a meet in that is outdoors in southern california

Betsy
June 13th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I am going. I have been swimming Masters for 35+ years and have never been to Mission Viejo.
I'm looking forward to it.

Allen Stark
June 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm still waiting to see if my shoulder will be healthy enough soon to start doing some real swimming(I can't believe how BORING all kicking workouts can be.)If I am able to do some real speed work before then I'll be there.

pwb
June 13th, 2013, 12:23 PM

2) It is an outdoor meet

The way I calculate this, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I typically prefer to race indoors, but I've entered because
1) It's in southern California
2) It's a historic pool and I swam well there in 2011
3) MAC Masters will have some fun relays
4) It's in southern California and I'm totally game to either sit on a 1 hour flight or bomb across the desert for a quick & easy 6 hour car ride to be there

Now, like Allen, my actual attendance will be dependent upon the state of my shoulder.

Michael Heather
June 13th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I'm still waiting to see if my shoulder will be healthy enough soon to start doing some real swimming(I can't believe how BORING all kicking workouts can be.)If I am able to do some real speed work before then I'll be there.

I had to deal with kicking workouts for a year and it can be challenging to keep them interesting.

ElaineK
June 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
1) It's in southern california :bliss:

2) It is an outdoor meet

3) It's in southern california :bliss:

4) Not willing to sit on a plane for a meet in that is outdoors in southern california

This is EXACTLY the reason I AM going! What a great excuse TO go.
1. I get to see family where I grew up, just up the freeway in Long Beach.
2. I get to see my best friend.
3. I get to see my Forumite friends; especially Debaru! And, I hope King Frog and Seal Girl!
4. I get to see our friends in San Diego, where we lived most of our lives.
5. Oh yeah, and I get to swim at Nationals. :D

Now for the bad news about swimming in Mission Viejo:
1. It's an outdoor pool and I get a bit dizzy with my Meniere's swimming backstroke when I do not have a fixed focal point. Oh well, I'm signed up for 400 IM, anyway! :afraid:
2. It's long course. I LOVE long course, however, I have only been in a long course pool once this year.
3. With my injury and other physical issues, my swimming has been the pits lately; especially breaststroke. My times :censor:

The Fortress
June 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM

2) It is an outdoor meet

Ditto.

I will add:

5) I'm moving in late July.

6) I hate long course.

7) I already have to fly to Southern California in early September because Teen Fort is going to school there. Sigh.

psyncw
June 13th, 2013, 06:13 PM
My excuse for not attending is the conflict with IGLA Championships in Seattle the same month. Otherwise, an outdoor nationals in southern california would be a draw for me.

Glenn
June 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Thewookie and Fort,

I'm curious as to your take on Southern California?? What is your beef? I am a transplant from New Jersey and have been here for 37 years. I LOVE IT!!!

Just came back from Pan Ams in Florida. YUCK. Humidity, flatness, endless strip malls.

Swimosaur
June 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I have already been to two expensive away meets this year, SCY nats and Pan Ams. Outdoor pools are hard on backstrokers, California is far away, and that extra night on the road ... I'll have to pass on this one.

StewartACarroll
June 13th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Despite being a better long course swimmer than a short course swimmer I am going to miss long course nationals. With only being back in the pool for such a short period of time I have decided to swim through the summer and build a good long course base with an eye to worlds next year. I will swim a few meets including south central zones, but won't do a full taper until next year.

knelson
June 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Just came back from Pan Ams in Florida. YUCK. Humidity, flatness, endless strip malls.

Hold on a minute. Pasadena is pretty nice, I'll grant you, but I'd say it's difficult to top Mission Viejo for strip malls. It's seems like miles of the exact same looking subdivisions and shopping centers. On the plus side the ocean is not far away.

Bobinator
June 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM
i'm thinking about going. I could be there for the whole meet, the problem would be that my school year starts the Monday morning after. Would the excitement post-meet carry me through the jet lag and tiredness + the stress of the first week back at school??

Michael Heather
June 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM
As a native southern Californian and 4th generation from Pasadena, I agree with all of the haters. No one should ever come here from out of town. It is terrible that we have no season changes, the earthquakes are FRIGHTENING, we are forced to swim outdoors all year round, there is no end to the miserable life that we endure. To top it off, we never ever get to learn how to drive in snow. What a gyp.

To be fair to MV re: strip malls. Because of the hilly nature of the area, at least you cannot see one mall from another.

Glenn
June 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hold on a minute. Pasadena is pretty nice, I'll grant you, but I'd say it's difficult to top Mission Viejo for strip malls. It's seems like miles of the exact same looking subdivisions and shopping centers. On the plus side the ocean is not far away.

No arguement from me on strip malls behind the orange curtain. We drove from Sarasota to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my mother, some 200 miles and one town looked just like another...just like Orange County.

aztimm
June 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM
My excuse for not attending is the conflict with IGLA Championships in Seattle the same month. Otherwise, an outdoor nationals in southern california would be a draw for me.

yea I'm also thinking of doing the IGLA meet in the Seattle area (the pool is in Federal Way). I can swim 4 events there, and only 3 at a USMS nationals. plus there's an o/w event at IGLA.

jaadams1
June 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM
yea I'm also thinking of doing the IGLA meet in the Seattle area (the pool is in Federal Way). I can swim 4 events there, and only 3 at a USMS nationals. plus there's an o/w event at IGLA.Do you happen to know off hand which day of the week the OW event is??? I get Saturdays off work for the summer, so that could be a possibility...also provided it's not a really loooooooooonnnnngggg swim. I'm not really keen on the big OW swims. :)

jroddin
June 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
yea I'm also thinking of doing the IGLA meet in the Seattle area (the pool is in Federal Way). I can swim 4 events there, and only 3 at a USMS nationals. plus there's an o/w event at IGLA.

The USMS 2.4 Mile Open Water National Championship will be held prior to Mission Viejo:
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=2091&smid=4552

This may not be practical for those who have limited time off (you'd have to take the whole week off to attend both) but nevertheless it is nice to have a pool National Championship plus an open water National Championship in close geographic proximity to one another.

Jeff

psyncw
June 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM
The open water swim at IGLA is on Sunday August 18- a 1 or 2 mile swim. http://www.igla2013.com/open-water-swim/

beprocton
June 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I am going ... and looking forward to it. I spent a summer swimming in Santa Barbara during my college days and I've got fond memories. The fog burning off in the morning to a cloudless sky was always nice. My last SoCal meet was at Industry Hills, so I figure Mission Viejo is going to be nicer. Of course, I was a whole lot faster back then. I'll take the outdoor pool ... that's what makes summer swimming!

Add to the above a trip to Disneyland for my 3 1/2 year old daughter ... seeing the Princesses in person in August has been her goal for the past 6 months. Now if, like the others with injuries, my shoulder will cooperate, it will be a success for all.

Goldfish825
June 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Masters Swimming. I'm planning on attending this meet (with NQTs or not) since I will be in the area for some family things going on, but I need some insight with regards to scheduling my flight.

I would like to swim the 100 Free and the 50 Back at Nationals and both are on Sunday. However, my family wants to try scheduling the flight back to Chicago for Sunday at 10pm leaving from LA. At past Summer Nationals meets, about how late has the meet run each day? Swimming those two events on Sunday, would I be likely to still make it to my flight at 10pm after considering the drive to LA and the whole process for checking in for your flight?

Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day? I'm not sure how that works. The two events I'm looking at for Sunday are technically back to back. Although those are sprints and I don't believe I have a good chance at getting an award, I'd like an idea of how much time I'd potentially have between each race.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Water Rat
June 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Conflicts with our family beach trip to RI or I would go. I love LC swimming. No turns!

knelson
June 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day?

I can answer this part, at least. The awards are given out as soon as the labels can be printed after each event. Usually it's pretty quick after each event is complete. Typically the process is that all the labels are printed and then posted on a wall. You find your label (assuming you placed top ten), pull it off and hand it to the person at the awards desk.

Michael Blatt
June 19th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day? I'm not sure how that works. The two events I'm looking at for Sunday are technically back to back. Although those are sprints and I don't believe I have a good chance at getting an award, I'd like an idea of how much time I'd potentially have between each race.

Though there's no break between events, there's usually at least an hour or so between consecutive events, though my experience is from short course nationals.

I just looked at the estimated timeline from last year's long course nationals and see that most events had at least an hour between starts.

pwb
June 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I would like to swim the 100 Free and the 50 Back at Nationals and both are on Sunday. However, my family wants to try scheduling the flight back to Chicago for Sunday at 10pm leaving from LA. At past Summer Nationals meets, about how late has the meet run each day? Swimming those two events on Sunday, would I be likely to still make it to my flight at 10pm after considering the drive to LA and the whole process for checking in for your flight?My recommendation is to enter the events. The National committee does a great job of publishing the estimated timeline ahead of the meet, so you'll have a good idea (after you've entered) what events you'll actually be able to swim relative to the flights. Given that the 400 free is last, I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to make the 10pm flight. Unless you're a hard-core-whiny-gotta-have-3-hours-between-events-sprinter, there will be GOBS of time between those two events. You'll need to re-apply sunblock at least once.

My other recommendation: is there any option for you to fly out of John Wayne (SNA) airport? It is a much more sane airport and a short drive with relatively little risk of traffic from Mission Viejo. Plus, LAX -- unless you're flying internationally -- is about the worst airport in the country. I avoid it at all costs.

knelson
June 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
My other recommendation: is there any option for you to fly out of John Wayne (SNA) airport? It is a much more sane airport and a short drive with relatively little risk of traffic from Mission Viejo. Plus, LAX -- unless you're flying internationally -- is about the worst airport in the country. I avoid it at all costs.

Definitely. SNA as the first option, LGB (Long Beach) as the second.

Goldfish825
June 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM
My recommendation is to enter the events. The National committee does a great job of publishing the estimated timeline ahead of the meet, so you'll have a good idea (after you've entered) what events you'll actually be able to swim relative to the flights. Given that the 400 free is last, I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to make the 10pm flight. Unless you're a hard-core-whiny-gotta-have-3-hours-between-events-sprinter, there will be GOBS of time between those two events. You'll need to re-apply sunblock at least once.

I'm definitely not nit-picky, so I'll be good there :)

As for the flight, we are considering the 10pm flight out of LAX since we save some money flying out from there than if we went left from SNA. However, we are still researching some other flights since we have few other kinks to work out in the whole family trip. It's mildly complicated since this isn't just a swim meet trip, but of course in the end we'll go with what works best.

I appreciate all the help!

Bill Sive
June 20th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I'm definitely not nit-picky, so I'll be good there :)

As for the flight, we are considering the 10pm flight out of LAX since we save some money flying out from there than if we went left from SNA. However, we are still researching some other flights since we have few other kinks to work out in the whole family trip. It's mildly complicated since this isn't just a swim meet trip, but of course in the end we'll go with what works best.

I appreciate all the help!

Since you will be in Mission Viejo you may want to consider flying out of San Diego. Check out your options from that airport.

Allen Stark
June 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I saw my orthopedist today.We decided that my shoulder would not be ready for speed work any time soon,so no Nats this year.Hopefully I'll be OK by the end of SCM this year.Next year I age up, so I don't want to not screw things up.I hope everyone there has a great time and great times.

sunruh
June 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
sorry to hear that allen.
i too am out with a shoulder injury/surgery/rehab. i dont even see my doc again until july 25.
i look at the pool as my son plays in it. i'm just a pretty topping for the deck chair. :D
scm is a big if/maybe
'13 looks like a flush

ElaineK
June 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I saw my orthopedist today.We decided that my shoulder would not be ready for speed work any time soon,so no Nats this year.Hopefully I'll be OK by the end of SCM this year.Next year I age up, so I don't want to not screw things up.I hope everyone there has a great time and great times.

:cry: I'm sorry to hear that, King Frog! Bruce and I will miss you and Seal Girl! Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

jroddin
June 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM

You didn't say anything about Mrs. Frog being injured ;)

She can swim in the meet while you cheer her on! :)

(I am sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are ready for the SCM season.)

Allen Stark
June 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM
You didn't say anything about Mrs. Frog being injured ;)

She can swim in the meet while you cheer her on! :)

(I am sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are ready for the SCM season.)

That is what my son said.She said she didn't want to go to the meet if I couldn't swim.

swimshark
June 28th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I went to Atlanta Nationals, which might end up being a larger meet but one where women and men are swimming at the same time and I did back-to-back-to-back events. You can do it!

Allen, good luck with the shoulder.

ElaineK
July 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Is there any way to change my seed times on my registration? When I registered, I entered with long course times from 2012 long course meets and training, because I thought they would be accurate predictions for Nationals. But, physical problems have really taken a toll on my strength and swim times, this year; especially over the past couple of months.

Today, I had the rare opportunity to train long course and I was shocked at my practice race times! :afraid: My perceived effort vs. my actual times were quite discouraging. :sad: I would really like to change my seed times on the 400 IM, 200 fly, and 1500, if possible, so I don't hold up the meet! :blush:

Meanwhile, I will train as hard as my body allows to (hopefully!) drop my times!

jroddin
July 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
Is there any way to change my seed times on my registration? When I registered, I entered with long course times from 2012 long course meets and training, because I thought they would be accurate predictions for Nationals. But, physical problems have really taken a toll on my strength and swim times, this year; especially over the past couple of months.

Today, I had the rare opportunity to train long course and I was shocked at my practice race times! :afraid: My perceived effort vs. my actual times were quite discouraging. :sad: I would really like to change my seed times on the 400 IM, 200 fly, and 1500, if possible, so I don't hold up the meet! :blush:

Meanwhile, I will train as hard as my body allows to (hopefully!) drop my times!

Elaine,

Send an email to championship@usms.org with your request.

Jeff

ElaineK
July 2nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Elaine,

Send an email to championship@usms.org with your request.

Jeff

Done! And, thank you; I appreciate it very much!

Michael Heather
July 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Entries not yet closed and it is over 1200.

knelson
July 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
The USMS 2.4 Mile Open Water National Championship will be held prior to Mission Viejo:
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=2091&smid=4552

I'm not going to make the MV meet, but I did enter the Dana Point OW event. Should be fun!

Michael Heather
July 4th, 2013, 04:55 PM
1401 entries to the meet. A record for LCM nationals.

pwb
July 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM
1401 entries to the meet. A record for LCM nationals.very cool. I suspected it would be a big one. Now, let's get that heat wave out of the west in time so we don't bake any of the easterners or northerners who make the trek out.

Swimosaur
July 4th, 2013, 10:19 PM
1401 entries to the meet. A record for LCM nationals.

Anna Lea, historical data, please?

Glenn
July 4th, 2013, 10:40 PM
2000 - 1380 Baltimore
2001 - 954 Federal Way
2002 - 1022 Cleveland
2003 - 872 - Rutgers, NJ
2004 - 1083 Savannah
2005 - 1107 Mission Viejo
2006 - No Nats (Worlds - Stanford)
2007 - 911 Woodlands, TX
2008 - 1131 Gresham, Oregon
2009 - 1145 Indianapolis
2010- 632 Puerto Rico
2011 - 688 Auburn, AL
2012 - 1257 Omaha
2013 - 1401 Mission Viejo

Michael Heather
July 4th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Anna Lea, historical data, please?

Check Appendix F in the rule book for the historical data.

My number is not final or official, it may change as entries are verified.

Glenn
July 5th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Or check the post above! :)

orca1946
July 5th, 2013, 01:01 AM
One nationals a year is my goal - it was short in Indy. I did well for an ol' fat man !!

Donna
July 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
SWIMCaction here I come! Will be bringing the kids, my sister and her daughter with me. So lots of play time and some swim time too.

mpmartin
July 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I wonder how soon they will post the psych sheets? I know for short course nationals in indy it was only about 5 days after the deadline.

Glenn
July 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Psych sheets were posted last month!!!

Karl_S
July 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Psych sheets were posted last month!!!Say what?
Heat and Psych SheetsPsych sheets for all individual events will be available on the usms.org website on or about July 22. Heat sheets for preseeded events will be available online around July 29. Heat sheets for deck-seeded events will be posted at various places around the pool deck for swimmers after the check-in deadlines.

Glenn
July 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Say what?

That was a joke... ( Where's Micheal Blatt when you need him?)

For quite a few years within a week or so of the closing of entries at Nats, someone would ask when psych sheets would be up. So then it was a game to see who would ask first and how soon after the closing of entries would the question be asked. ( For me it was always - when they're up, they're up!)

Pretty soon it was two days after the closing then one day etc. I think I got in first for Indy when I asked about an hour after closing! A new record I think.

Well, where can you go after you have asked an hour after closing? Well the only thing left was to ask for them before the closing!

So now that forces me to ask the question...if Spring Nats in Santa Clara ('14) are next May, shouldn't psych sheets be out already??? :)

Allen Stark
July 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM
So now that forces me to ask the question...if Spring Nats in Santa Clara ('14) are next May, shouldn't psych sheets be out already??? :)
They will be posted as soon as they can get the time rotor repaired in the official USMS TARDIS.

mpmartin
July 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I figured you were joking Glenn. I've entered but not sure I will be able to swing it financially. I'm eagerly awaiting the psych sheets to see if I have any chance of placing. If my age group is packed and I'm near the bottom (time wise) I will probably save my money for Short Course Nationals next spring in Santa Clara.