PDA

View Full Version : Quitting my 45 year long nose clip habit

harleycodr
June 21st, 2013, 09:32 PM
Hi all
I realize that I am really cheating myself out of about half of the air I could be utilizing by needing to wear a nose clip! I keep being told to just blow out while swimming. So I figured step 1 was to start getting into that habit, and it's tough!

The very first time I ever got into the pool (age 5) water immediately shot up my nose. I got out, went into the house, grabbed a nose clip from the closet and that was that. I endured the geek/nerd comments all through school but I always could swim like a fish and that would shut everyone up.

But now, I'm pushing myself harder and realize how inefficient it is making my breathing.

I do have a nose clip that doesn't work so well and I need to blow out a little (a short burst when I first go in) to keep the water out - is that what normally happens? I call this thing my training wheel, but it is still keeping my nose closed for the most part...

I think I wasn't in the right line when the Big Guy was handing out this reflex before I was born :-)

It's a terrifying thought that the next time my deck coach is there, she is going to try to make me do 50 without it...:bitching:

Any advice????

Thanks!

Michael Heather
June 22nd, 2013, 01:46 AM
The simplest advice is to go cold turkey and remember to exhale through your nose only, inhale through your mouth only. I always suggest that the pupil exhale at all times while his face is in the water. Through the nose. By keeping positive pressure in your sinus cavities, you cannot have water in there.

Allen Stark
June 22nd, 2013, 06:37 AM
If you want to go without one,fine,but I am not sure of your rational.Breathing through your mouth, you are going to get all the air exchange you need.When swimming, the amount of air inhaled through the nose is trivial to nonexistent.Many elite backstrokes wear nose clips.All synchronized swimmers wear nose clips and they have a greater need for breath control than almost any athlete.

Cokie
June 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
I have to agree with Allen. As a life long swimmer, I started using a nose clip about 18 months ago. I had suffered for almost a year with non stop sinus infections. After all kinds of meds and medical tests, I was at my wit's end. I thought I'd try a nose clip. Took me awhile to get accustomed to it, but I did. I wear it in competition, at practice, and even in my open water swims. The ability to exhale thoroughly through my mouth does not seem to be a problem. And, I can go much farther on me backstroke starts and turns!

Michael Heather
June 22nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I thought the thread title was intended to help him quit his habit, not justify it. Silly me.

By exhaling through your nose and inhaling through your mouth, you set up an easily repeatable new habit that will not only obviate the need for a nose clip, but release your imagination to solve more pressing troubles.

harleycodr
June 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Well first of all "he" is a "she" and I would like to be able to have the opportunity to get more air when I am swimming...more pressing troubles like world peace or my messy butterfly? :-)

Thanks; I hope I can do it....more air is always pleasant.