PDA

View Full Version : Lynn Cox Book

ultrunner
January 21st, 2004, 10:06 AM
Anyone get the new Lynn Cox book yet? I just picked it up the other day. I'm about halfway through the book and it's pretty interesting so far. It's so hard to beleive that one could be so motivated at such a young age (She set the E. Channel record at age 15).

pinkflamingo
February 20th, 2004, 12:05 AM
I just read this book last week. It was a good read. I understand the motivation at a young age. (Young people can have big dreams, and when that is coupled with support from parents and/or others, and the right circumstances, they can live those dreams and accomplish amazing things.) I don't understand the Antarctic swim in 32 degree water without thermal protection. I really don't understand the motivation for that. Being the first or only to do something doesn't seem to be enough -- there are many things that no one has ever done, and often for good reason. As I was reading, as the swims got more dangerous, the water colder, etc., I wondered about the long-term effects, one of which I was certain would be nerve damage..... seemed predictable to me (with prolonged exposure to cold/freezing temps and constricted blood supply, sounds like a recipe for neuropathy). The book did motivate me to swim a little harder, and I did enjoy it.

I had never heard of children's swim teams that have daily 4 hour workouts (as she described her early swimming before moving to California). That seemed incredulous.

Happy reading!