PDA

View Full Version : Very Inexpensive Chlorine Remover

ElaineK
July 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM
There is a product on the market to remove chlorine from hair and skin (Swim Spray) that costs $12.95 for a 4oz bottle, on their website. If you look at the ingredients of Swim Spray, there are only two: Water and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water. I just purchased a bottle of Vitamin C crystals from Trader Joe's for $11.99. I am going to use my empty 2oz. free sample of Swim Spray to refill it with my own mix for a cost of about $0.13 per bottle (there are 908- 1/8 teaspoons in the bottle of crystals)!

$0.13 vs $6.50 for 2 ounces of Swim Spray. That gives you an idea of how much $ goes into packaging, marketing, salaries, and all of the other overhead expenses to bring a product to market. :afraid:

By the way, if you there is not a Trader Joe's near you, Vitamin C crystals can be purchased online. Just use an empty travel size hairspray bottle, mix up a batch, and throw the bottle in your swim bag. After your swim, briefly rinse off in the shower, spray your hair and skin, wait a few seconds, then rinse. Now you can use your shampoo and body wash or soap as usual.

Edit: I previously typed in 1/4 tsp., rather than 1tsp. (in bold). Sorry for the mistake!

orca1946
July 6th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Thanx for the cost saving $$$$ tip.

flystorms
July 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the great tip! I'm at the bottom of a bottle right now, in fact. Yay!

msgrupp
July 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too?

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Vitamin-Ascorbic-Crystals/dp/B000GFSV3M

ElaineK
July 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too?

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Vitamin-Ascorbic-Crystals/dp/B000GFSV3M

Sure, you can find Vit C crystals at many other stores, but I believe Trader Joe's is the least expensive option. So, why not save even more $? Besides, I love shopping at Trader Joe's and supporting a company that is good to their employees and customers! :applaud:

Regarding your link, those crystals are $18.49 vs. $11.99 at Trader Joe's, for the same amount. :D

As for my mixing plan, I just realized I made a mistake above and will fix it. It's 1 tsp./ one pint. So, I am taking 1/8tsp. and adding it to my 2 ounce bottle. And, yes, I'm doing it one bottle at a time.

ALM
July 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM
So, have you tried it yet, and does it work?

ElaineK
July 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM
So, have you tried it yet, and does it work?

I have a bottle ready to go, however, I am using up the last of my other sample bottle of SwimSpray first.

swimark
July 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I tried this and it seems to work ok. Originally came across this in another thread (where ElaineK did some investigating); http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?22168-Looking-for-quot-natural-quot-anti-chlorine-shampoo-Aubreys&p=283545&viewfull=1#post283545
It does cut down on the chlorine smell. Also my hair (what little I have) is a little less stiff\manageable (who am kidding, I'm balding with a crewcut). I used 1 tablespoon to every 8 ounces, however I might try a lower concentration with the next batch I make.
I have a large spray bottle (32oz) that I bought for 99 cents at a big box store. Fill it about half way and add 2 tablespoons. Don't fill the bottle all the way so you can shake\mix the solution more easily. After a swim I spray myself down and quickly rub in like suntan lotion to make sure I get everywhere. Wait a minute and then shower with regular soap\shampoo to rinse.

Edit: I used the Trader Joes vitamin C crystals as well.

knelson
July 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
This is a great idea, but I choose to embrace my chlorine smell.

debaru
July 10th, 2013, 05:00 PM
After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water.

I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening.

ElaineK
July 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening.

Hey Deb! :wave:

I found this same tip on several different websites; it seems to be a common homemade chlorine remover. And, on each website, crystals were recommended. I will hunt around the house for another spray bottle, mix up a batch, and report back here. The remaining SwimSpray sample can wait...

EDIT: I found a small sample hairspray bottle and dumped the few drops that were left, washed it out very well, and mixed up a batch. I will take it to the pool tomorrow and make sure to take a long dunk in the chlorinated outdoor pool, after my workout in the indoor saline pool, since there is more chlorine out there. I will post by tomorrow night.

Martel
July 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, I can't wait to try it. I might try to find the crystals elsewhere though depending on how much shipping it cost. I have just deal with the chlorine smell because I dont want to blow a lot of money on the spray.

jaadams1
July 11th, 2013, 01:21 AM
This is a great idea, but I choose to embrace my chlorine smell.I'm with you on that Kirk...that's why we swim, so we don't have to buy that expensive smelly stuff at the store. Ever noticed when you start sweating at work that all you smell is chlorine (that is if you have a job where you sweat :bolt: ).

__steve__
July 11th, 2013, 07:11 AM
(that is if you have a job where you sweat :bolt: ).
I sweat 3sē 3p⁵ configuration at work. My coworkers say I smell like bleach. I don't smell anything.

ElaineK
July 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Kirk & James: This post is NOT for you. :D
Debaru & Jayhawk: In my opinion, my homemade spray worked just as well as SwimSpray. So, go ahead, by a bottle of crystals and split it with your entire team. They will each end up with enough crystlals to last for plenty of batches of spray. And, they'll love ya for it! :agree:

I would recommend mixing up just enough for a small (4oz or less) bottle at a time, so the Vitamin C doesn't break down. Besides, it would be a lot easier to carry around than a big spray bottle.

Water Rat
July 11th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I love the smell of chlorine in the morning!

smontanaro
July 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I wonder if you could just dump some ascorbic acid crystals into your favorite shampoo or body wash/liquid soap?

debaru
July 11th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Kirk & James: This post is NOT for you. :D
Debaru & Jayhawk: In my opinion, my homemade spray worked just as well as SwimSpray. So, go ahead, by a bottle of crystals and split it with your entire team. They will each end up with enough crystlals to last for plenty of batches of spray. And, they'll love ya for it! :agree:

I would recommend mixing up just enough for a small (4oz or less) bottle at a time, so the Vitamin C doesn't break down. Besides, it would be a lot easier to carry around than a big spray bottle.

Awesome, Elaine. Thanks for going the extra mile and testing your remedy. :agree: I'm going to have to give this a try. I swim at noon outdoors, so I'm wondering how the Arizona heat may affect the mixture. I use a small cooler to keep my water and recovery food chilled, so I think it would be a good idea to keep my home-made spray in it as well while I'm swimming. I'll be sure to report my findings.

debaru
July 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Awesome, Elaine. Thanks for going the extra mile and testing your remedy. :agree: I'm going to have to give this a try. I swim at noon outdoors, so I'm wondering how the Arizona heat may affect the mixture. I use a small cooler to keep my water and recovery food chilled, so I think it would be a good idea to keep my home-made spray in it as well while I'm swimming. I'll be sure to report my findings.

I mixed up a batch of home-made "anti-chlorine spray" (1/4 tsp powder to 4 oz of water), but instead of using vitamin C crystals, I used powdered vitamin C, which I purchased at Sprouts ($15.99 for an 8 oz bottle -- good for a 6 month supply of spray). The powdered version is meant to be mixed with liquid and consumed as a drink and since Sprouts didn't have the crystal version (unless powder and crystals are the same thing), I figured that powdered vitamin C would work just as well, if not better.

Well, I am happy to report that it did. I tested it out today after my noon swim, and after arriving back at work, I asked a couple of co-workers if they could smell chlorine. Their answer -- a resounding "No". :cool:

The vitamin C powder I purchased is manufactured by SolaRay (8 oz, 5000 mg, 100% pure ascorbic acid), which is available on-line through various sellers. Here's a URL to one particular vendor: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-vitamin-c-powder.

ElaineK
July 12th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I mixed up a batch of home-made "anti-chlorine spray" (1/4 tsp powder to 4 oz of water), but instead of using vitamin C crystals, I used powdered vitamin C, which I purchased at Sprouts ($15.99 for an 8 oz bottle -- good for a 6 month supply of spray). The powdered version is meant to be mixed with liquid and consumed as a drink and since Sprouts didn't have the crystal version (unless powder and crystals are the same thing), I figured that powdered vitamin C would work just as well, if not better.

Well, I am happy to report that it did. I tested it out today after my noon swim, and after arriving back at work, I asked a couple of co-workers if they could smell chlorine. Their answer -- a resounding "No". :cool:

The vitamin C powder I purchased is manufactured by SolaRay (8 oz, 5000 mg, 100% pure ascorbic acid), which is available on-line through various sellers. Here's a URL to one particular vendor: http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-vitamin-c-powder.

:applaud: Definitely a less expensive option than SwimSpray! But, Trader Joe's Vit C is still the least expensive option I have seen; $11.99 for a 1 lb. bottle.

I'm glad it worked for you! :agree:

debaru
July 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM
:applaud: Definitely a less expensive option than SwimSpray! But, Trader Joe's Vit C is still the least expensive option I have seen; $11.99 for a 1 lb. bottle.

I'm glad it worked for you! :agree:

A single serving (one teaspoon) of the SolaRay vitamin C powder contains 5000 mg of vitamin C. BTW - I learned that "crystals" and "powder" are the same. :)

I tried to find this information online, but how many milligrams of vitamin C per serving are in the Trader Joe's crystals? If you're using 1/4 teaspoon per 4 oz of water, but if the vitamin C from Trader Joe's has a much lower (or higher) potency, I may want to adjust my formula accordingly.

swimark
July 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
A single serving (one teaspoon) of the SolaRay vitamin C powder contains 5000 mg of vitamin C. BTW - I learned that "crystals" and "powder" are the same. :)

I tried to find this information online, but how many milligrams of vitamin C per serving are in the Trader Joe's crystals? If you're using 1/4 teaspoon per 4 oz of water, but your vitamin C from Trader Joe's has a lower (or higher) potency, I will want to adjust my formula accordingly.

From the label of Trader Joes Vitamin C Crystals:
Serving Size 1/4 teaspoon (1g)
Amount per serving - Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 1000 mg

__steve__
July 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Ascorbic acid is commonly used in food and pharmaceutical industries. One should be able to purchace bulk quantities (55 gal drum for less than $400) fairly cheaply. No need to worry about vitamin C spoilage either, it's chiefly used as a natural preservative:D.

debaru
July 14th, 2013, 05:32 PM
From the label of Trader Joes Vitamin C Crystals:
Serving Size 1/4 teaspoon (1g)
Amount per serving - Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 1000 mg

Thanks, Swimark. My powder is a bit more potent than the Trader Joe variety, but not so much that I think I need to mix my formula any differently. :)

ElaineK
July 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Swimark; you beat me to it! :D

Today, I conducted a very unscientific (but effective) experiment. After swimming, I dunked myself in the spa for an extra dose of chlorine. I then rinsed off (as the SwimSpray instructions advise), before spraying just my left arm with my homemade spray. After letting it sit for a minute, I showered only with water; no shower gel or soap. After I dried off, I smelled my left arm and my right arm.

Results: Left arm - :bliss:, Right arm - :afraid:

Verdict: I am, again, convinced that my own swim spray works great! :banana:

Bill Sive
July 15th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all your work Elaine. I've been following this thread closely. I will make a batch of your downhome version for myself. With all my pool time I need something like this. I've been thinking about purchasing Swim Spray, and have now decided not to.

arthur
July 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Swimark. My powder is a bit more potent than the Trader Joe variety, but not so much that I think I need to mix my formula any differently. :)If a 1gram serving of Trader Joes Vitamin C contains 1000mg, then it is 100% pure vitamin C. Your stuff can't be any more potent. If you get more vitamin C for the same volume, your vitamin C might just be more dense.

ElaineK
July 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all your work Elaine. I've been following this thread closely. I will make a batch of your downhome version for myself. With all my pool time I need something like this. I've been thinking about purchasing Swim Spray, and have now decided not to.

You're welcome, Bill! Making your own batch will save a lot of :2cents:! And, there are a lot of Trader Joe's in Long Beach, so it should be convenient enough to pick up a bottle of Vitamin C there.

Hey, it looks like I will be joining you on the sidelines, August 7, since the 1500m was my 6th event :doh: Somebody from the home office, who shall remain nameless :D, was sure the attendance would be very low at Mission Viejo. So, I gambled and lost. :badday:

And, while I'm thinking of it, Debaru (on this thread) is the other gal you met at the Belmont outdoor pool, back in January 2012. She will be at Nationals, as well. Let's meet up on deck, if you are still planning on being there! :agree:

debaru
July 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
And, while I'm thinking of it, Debaru (on this thread) is the other gal you met at the Belmont outdoor pool, back in January 2012. She will be at Nationals, as well. Let's meet up on deck, if you are still planning on being there! :agree:

That would be :cool:.

Bill Sive
July 22nd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Elaine,
Are you using your homemade spray on your swimsuit too?, to remove the chlorine smell.

ElaineK
July 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Elaine,
Are you using your homemade spray on your swimsuit too?, to remove the chlorine smell.

No, I'm not, because I am not sure how the fabric would react to ascorbic acid. I just follow the care instructions of the suit which suggests just rinsing in cold water.

Mauro Clerici
December 31st, 2014, 12:20 PM
Hi Elaine! Do you use this solution before/after any shower soap or as a replacement altogether ?

There is a product on the market to remove chlorine from hair and skin (Swim Spray) that costs $12.95 for a 4oz bottle, on their website. If you look at the ingredients of Swim Spray, there are only two: Water and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water. I just purchased a bottle of Vitamin C crystals from Trader Joe's for $11.99. I am going to use my empty 2oz. free sample of Swim Spray to refill it with my own mix for a cost of about $0.13 per bottle (there are 908- 1/8 teaspoons in the bottle of crystals)!

$0.13 vs $6.50 for 2 ounces of Swim Spray. That gives you an idea of how much $ goes into packaging, marketing, salaries, and all of the other overhead expenses to bring a product to market. :afraid:

By the way, if you there is not a Trader Joe's near you, Vitamin C crystals can be purchased online. Just use an empty travel size hairspray bottle, mix up a batch, and throw the bottle in your swim bag. After your swim, briefly rinse off in the shower, spray your hair and skin, wait a few seconds, then rinse. Now you can use your shampoo and body wash or soap as usual.

Edit: I previously typed in 1/4 tsp., rather than 1tsp. (in bold). Sorry for the mistake!

Bobinator
January 1st, 2015, 06:05 PM
While we're on the $$$ saving note....instead of expensive hair treatments 1X per month to remove chlorine from hair I learned that applying a 6 ounce can of tomato paste every other week to your hair works as well or even better. I just smear the stuff and work it through my hair, cap it with a large zip-lock bag, and let it set for 15 minutes. Afterwards I rinse and shampoo well and my hair look great!!

ElaineK
January 1st, 2015, 06:25 PM
Hi Elaine! Do you use this solution before/after any shower soap or as a replacement altogether ?

Hi, Mauro! :welcome: I would use it before using soap or body wash. Most of the time, I use it as a replacement, because I swim in a saline pool that uses much less chlorine in the water. If I'm at a heavily chlorinated pool, I'll use the solution first and follow up with my body wash.

ALM
January 1st, 2015, 06:59 PM
While we're on the $$$ saving note....instead of expensive hair treatments 1X per month to remove chlorine from hair I learned that applying a 6 ounce can of tomato paste every other week to your hair works as well or even better. I just smear the stuff and work it through my hair, cap it with a large zip-lock bag, and let it set for 15 minutes. Afterwards I rinse and shampoo well and my hair look great!!

And are you now a redhead? :)

philoswimmer
January 1st, 2015, 07:24 PM
Just a note for the lazy among us... after learning about this vitamin C trick (I think from Elaine on a different thread), I discovered that some shampoos have ascorbic acid in them and seem to do a good job at chlorine removal, e.g., a number of the Burt's Bees shampoos do (just check the ingredients label).

Bobinator
January 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
And are you now a redhead? :)

Hi Jayhawk! Yes, my hair is sort of reddish but it always has been. When I sweat copiously I do smell a bit like lasagna though!!

orca1946
January 2nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
HEY !!! My bloody mary has a hair in it ????

Jimbosback
January 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
HEY !!! My bloody mary has a hair in it ????

Waste not, want not. :-)

EsqDavidK
March 23rd, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just made my second batch - 4 ounces of water and 1/4 tablespoon of Vitamin C crystals (from Trader Joe's) mixed up in a 4 ounce spray bottle. Works great. Thank you all for info on this thread. David K

Scott Walker
June 9th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Something else you might want to try is a pre-treatment. You just rub it into your hair and let it absorb 3-5 minutes and it does a good job of preventing the brittle green hair. The kind I like is called Aqua Guard Pre-Swim Hair Defense and I get it here: http://www.underwateraudio.com/aquaguard-pre-swim-hair-defense/

They make waterproof ipods and headphones, but the Pre-Swim Hair Defense is good and it is only $8.

ktfdolphin
December 12th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone, can you please comment on smontanaro's question about just dumping some ascorbic acid crystals into shampoo? I think that might work well for my kids -- one fewer step to do in the shower. Thanks.