PDA

View Full Version : SCY 2013 Top 10 Lists

Chris Stevenson
July 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
The preliminary Top 10 lists for the SCY season, which ran 6/1/12 thru 5/31/13, have been uploaded. As always, you can view the lists for a given age group (individual or relays) here:

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

You can also see the whole list in a prettier form here:

http://www.usms.org/~rectabs/PRELIM_SCY13.pdf

Top 10 recorders, you might find it useful to view the preliminary listings for your LMSC here:

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlmsc.php

If you see an error, please contact Mary Beth at topten@usms.org, or you can PM me. Submit any corrections by July 30.

orca1946
July 14th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Good to see that some of our team held up the team name-- I was not among those.

knelson
July 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Always interesting to see how things shake out. I'm ranked first in the 1650 for 40-44 by 30 seconds and that's awesome, but I also realize Jeff Erwin was swimming next to me at Nationals when I put up that time and he finished almost a minute before me AND he's five years my senior! :bow:

I would have ranked fifth in 45-49.

Chris Stevenson
July 15th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Always interesting to see how things shake out. I'm ranked first in the 1650 for 40-44 by 30 seconds and that's awesome, but I also realize Jeff Erwin was swimming next to me at Nationals when I put up that time and he finished almost a minute before me AND he's five years my senior!

I was talking with a triathlete friend who recently turned 50 and I asked if he was happy to be aging up. He replied, "why should I be? I'm still racing against the same fast people, they age up with me." It isn't just about your age but your cohort, and which of them have been training and participating in meets. (And Jeff Erwin is my exact same age.)

sunruh
July 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM
yes i will be quite happy when you and jeff age up without me!!! :bliss:

and chris, i seem to be totally absent from the top 10 list. can you just "fill in" the blanks for me! :D
2 more weeks of rehab and maybe, just maybe i will be cleared to swim. rehab sucks...there i said it.

CONGRATS TO ALL that made the Top Ten list!!!

steve

Britt03
July 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM
can someone point me to the age rule for SCY, please?
I know the rules are different than LCM and I want to understand how some people can be listed in 2 different age groups in the same year for SCY.
Thank you and congrats to all that made the Top Ten list!!

knelson
July 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Essentially the SCY rule is that you compete as your actual age the day of the competition. I believe for multi-day competitions the last day of the meet is used. So if you've got a birthday that occurs during SCY season and you're aging up that season you have the opportunity to compete in two age groups during that season.

Yeah, here's the actual text of the rule:

102.2 Age Determining Date
102.2.1 For short course yards, the eligibility of a participant for a particular age
group shall be determined by the age as of the last day of the meet.
http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

sunruh
July 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
i will find it in a minute, but

scy: your age as of the last day of the meet
ex: if you are 44 on july 7 you are in the 40-44 age group.. but if your birthday is july 14 and turn 45, you are then in the 45-49 age group. and can have times in both.

scm/lcm: your age as of dec 31 of that year (ie what you age up to that year)
ex: your birthday is jan 2 and turn 44, you are 44 all year long for fina. however, if your birthday is dec 30 and turn 45, you are 45 all year long for fina.

here is the official rule:

102.2.1 For short course yards, the eligibility of a participant for a particular age
102.2.2 For short course meters and long course meters, the eligibility of a participant
for a particular age group shall be determined by the age as of December
31 of the year of competition.

Britt03
July 15th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Essentially the SCY rule is that you compete as your actual age the day of the competition. I believe for multi-day competitions the last day of the meet is used. So if you've got a birthday that occurs during SCY season and you're aging up that season you have the opportunity to compete in two age groups during that season.

Thank you for clarification. I guess there is a reason behind why age rules or so different between SCY and LCM.
This means I have another 15 months for SCY in my current age group but will age up Jan 1 for LCM. Bummer, if you like swimming LCM. I like my current age group :)

Britt03
July 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
i will find it in a minute, but

scy: your age as of the last day of the meet
ex: if you are 44 on july 7 you are in the 40-44 age group.. but if your birthday is july 14 and turn 45, you are then in the 45-49 age group. and can have times in both.

scm/lcm: your age as of dec 31 of that year (ie what you age up to that year)
ex: your birthday is jan 2 and turn 44, you are 44 all year long for fina. however, if your birthday is dec 30 and turn 45, you are 45 all year long for fina.

here is the official rule:

102.2.2 For short course meters and long course meters, the eligibility of a participant
for a particular age group shall be determined by the age as of December
31 of the year of competition.

From this I take the age rule for LCM is a FINA rule then and the SCY rule is solely a USMS rule. Is that correct?

Frank Thompson
July 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM
The rules for SCY age is you swim your actual age on the day of the competition and you age up on your birthday. The only break you get is if your birthday on a Sunday and Nationals starts the prior Thursday, then you would swim your age when the meet ends. This could give you a 4 to 5 day advantage depending on the length of the National Meet be it 4 or 5 days.

The SCY season is from June 1, XXXX to May 31, XXXX and if you age up on your birthday between those dates you are 1 year older. So every 5 years you could be in 2 different age groups depending on the swimming competitions and your birthday to age up. This could happen in LCM but rarely does. The LCM season is from October 1, XXX to September XXXX and you would have to swim in a LCM competition between October and December to be in 2 different age groups. Since hardly anyone has a LCM competition between these dates you do not see it on LCM. In SCM Top Ten, its impossible and you will never see it. You age up at the end of the year and the season is from January 1, XXXX to December 31, XXXX and you stay 1 age the entire year so it can't happen. It would be the same in LCM except we don't have a calendar year as our season and if we did it would be the same as SCM.

Frank Thompson
July 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM
From this I take the age rule for LCM is a FINA rule then and the SCY rule is solely a USMS rule. Is that correct?

Yes. USMS adopted the FINA rule in 1999 and FINA had this rule in effect in 1996. USMS went 3 years using the current SCY rule in LCM before adopting the FINA rule in 1999. It was very confusing 3 years because you had swimmers setting FINA World Records and not getting credit for USMS National Records and USMS Top Ten. It was a mess but since then has been straighten out.

Britt03
July 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you all for clarification. This makes much more sense to me now.
Swim on!

knelson
July 15th, 2013, 10:30 AM
This could happen in LCM but rarely does.

Not in the U.S., but I bet it happens a lot in Southern Hemisphere countries!

Swimosaur
July 15th, 2013, 04:56 PM
It isn't just about your age but your cohort ...

Big drop in M55-59 200 back this year! Last year #10 was 2:20.56; this year #10 is 2:14.63. My 2:18.64, which would have made it in every other year in USMS history, save one, is #15 this year. Eight of the guys in the top 15 are 55.

As Maxwell Smart used to say,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw

Fresnoid
July 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
The preliminary Top 10 lists for the SCY season, which ran 6/1/12 thru 5/31/13, have been uploaded. As always, you can view the lists for a given age group (individual or relays) here:

You can also see the whole list in a prettier form here:

http://www.usms.org/~rectabs/PRELIM_SCY13.pdf

Top 10 recorders, you might find it useful to view the preliminary listings for your LMSC here:

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlmsc.php

If you see an error, please contact Mary Beth at topten@usms.org, or you can PM me. Submit any corrections by July 30.

I don't see Chris Stevenson anywhere. Makes me wonder how many people are out there who are in shape to easily make TT in a number of events, but never got around to doing a meet.

ElaineK
July 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM
can someone point me to the age rule for SCY, please?
I know the rules are different than LCM and I want to understand how some people can be listed in 2 different age groups in the same year for SCY.
Thank you and congrats to all that made the Top Ten list!!

Congratulations to YOU, Britt! You are all over the Top Ten list! :applaud: :cheerleader:

ElaineK
July 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I don't see Chris Stevenson anywhere.

Look again. :agree: And, look who is right below him in 50 yd. backstroke. :D

ElaineK
July 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Congratulations to all the Forumites (there were many) who made the Top Ten list! Hey, James, way to go on that 400 IM! :applaud:

I was just happy to get on a relay that placed 10th; my one and only SCY Top Ten- EVER. :D
Edit: Swimosaur informed me that our 400 Mixed Free Relay at Georgia Tech made Top Ten. I missed it when I took a look at the pdf, but just noticed that not only did we make Top Ten; we came in 6th! :bliss:

Fresnoid
July 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Look again. :agree: And, look who is right below him in 50 yd. backstroke. :D

That means Chris holds the record, set in 2012 & Ande was #1 for 2013 times.

robertsrobson
July 16th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I'd love to swim yards, especially 200 breast. It just chops off the hardest bit! Maybe one year I'll make it over..

swimshark
July 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Congratulations to all the Forumites (there were many) who made the Top Ten list! Hey, James, way to go on that 400 IM! :applaud:

I was just happy to get on a relay that placed 10th; my one and only SCY Top Ten- EVER. :D

Elaine, congrats on the relay top 10. I eek in at #7 with a relay as well. Phew.

StewartACarroll
July 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Always interesting to see how things shake out. I'm ranked first in the 1650 for 40-44 by 30 seconds and that's awesome, but I also realize Jeff Erwin was swimming next to me at Nationals when I put up that time and he finished almost a minute before me AND he's five years my senior! :bow:

I would have ranked fifth in 45-49.

Jeff's swim was a big swim and he deserves a lot of praise, but you deserve some congratulations also. I know you work really hard and you deserve some accolades when it pays off like it has the last couple of years. Congratulations Kirk.

Britt03
July 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Congratulations to YOU, Britt! You are all over the Top Ten list! :applaud: :cheerleader:

Thank you, Elaine! Congrats on your TTs!!

knelson
July 16th, 2013, 11:12 AM
you deserve some congratulations also. I know you work really hard and you deserve some accolades when it pays off like it has the last couple of years. Congratulations Kirk.

Thanks, Stewart! I'm very happy with my swim and also my first place ranking. And congrats to you on your #1 in the 1000!

TRYM_Swimmer
July 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Strange in 65 - 69 Men - 100 Breast slower this year, 200 Breast faster.

ElaineK
July 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Elaine, congrats on the relay top 10. I eek in at #7 with a relay as well. Phew.

Congratulations!! :applaud:

I edited my previous post, because Swimosaur informed me that our 400 Mixed Free Relay, at Georgia Tech, made Top Ten, as well. We placed 6th! :D

ElaineK
July 16th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Stewart! I'm very happy with my swim and also my first place ranking. And congrats to you on your #1 in the 1000!

:bow: You guys rock! CONGRATULATIONS!! What an inspiration! :applaud:

jaadams1
July 16th, 2013, 11:06 PM

Edit: Swimosaur informed me that our 400 Mixed Free Relay at Georgia Tech made Top Ten. I missed it when I took a look at the pdf, but just noticed that not only did we make Top Ten; we came in 6th! :bliss:

Thanks Elaine!! I was surprised by it as well. As competitive as the SCY swims tend to be I wasn't expecting it at all in the 400 IM. The 1000 is highly competitive as well, but seems to be slightly easier for a distancy guy like me.

knelson
July 17th, 2013, 01:22 AM
:bow: You guys rock! CONGRATULATIONS!! What an inspiration! :applaud:

Thanks Elaine!

gdanner
July 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I don't see Chris Stevenson anywhere. Makes me wonder how many people are out there who are in shape to easily make TT in a number of events, but never got around to doing a meet.

You could just scratch that line about being in shape, since Chris can make the list even if he wasn't in a pool for three months :)

chowmi
July 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Many! That is the point - it's not just about swimming fast, but showing up! And for many people, that's no so easy. So anyone that places top ten or almost - it's a tremendous accomplishment!! The only thing that could/should/would have in common with do/does/did is that they are linking verbs.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO MADE TOP TENS!!!

chowmi
July 17th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Many! That is the point - it's not just about swimming fast, but showing up! And for many people, that's no so easy. So anyone that places top ten or almost - it's a tremendous accomplishment!! The only thing that could/should/would have in common with do/does/did is that they are linking verbs.

or do i mean helping verbs? well, you know what I mean.

Chris Stevenson
July 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Chris can make the list even if he wasn't in a pool

That is so true, I could even get a #1 ranking in breaststroke using nothing more than my computer.:) If only it were so easy in real life!

StewartACarroll
July 17th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks Elaine! I second the thanks Elaine

Fresnoid
July 17th, 2013, 10:53 PM
That is so true, I could even get a #1 ranking in breaststroke using nothing more than my computer.:) If only it were so easy in real life!

Can you use your computer to eliminate breaststroke as an event, or just eliminate that part of IMs?

Fresnoid
July 17th, 2013, 10:57 PM

Absolutely. I look at my age group and berate myself for not competing, but everyone else committed the time to do it.

orca1946
July 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Thanx to my team mates that put us into the top ten again for 2013!!

Frank Thompson
July 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Is there any way link 2013 year to the LMSC Summary page. http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlmscsummary.php?LMSCID=19

Thanks.

Chris Stevenson
August 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
The official 2013 SCY Top 10 lists have been published.

A formatted version can be downloaded here:

http://www.usms.org/content/top10print

Information on ordering Top 10 Patches is here:

http://www.usms.org/content/tt_patches

Based on the Top 10 swims I scored a "mythical national championship." Bragging rights belong to the following:

Zone: Colonies
LMSC: Pacific
Club: NEM (regional) and SYSM (local)

Full results and scoring details are at

http://www.vaswim.org/mythical-champs/