PDA

View Full Version : Humidity levels

zippy81
July 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I've searched for and read many posts regarding pool temperature and USA swimming's site even has a short article on relationship between air and water temp, however nothing I've come across discusses high humidity levels. The pool I swim in is indoors (obviously) with only two doors opening to the outside (cannot be opened due to fire codes) and has only one small exhaust fan to the outside. The pool temp is kept at 84 as a compromise (very few true lap swimmers), air temp is 82-84. For my past two swims I've checked the humidity level and it is right at/above 80%. Unbeknownst to me until a little earlier today the Y is planning on putting in 3 new/bigger exhaust fans which should greatly help this problem and oh, by the way, they are meeting with city council tomorrow night to get it approved (cutting three holes in the brick wall which faces a restaurant). Yours truly has been asked to attend and while I have plenty of personal experience with how terrible swimming with that kind of air I was wondering if any of you guys had some information/sources I could bring with me.

zippy81
July 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I finally found this in the USA rulebook for competition, its a start

103.7 WATER AND AIR TEMPERATURE
.1 /M/ Water temperature between 25 to 28 degrees Celsius (77 to 82.4 degrees Fahrenheit)
shall be maintained for competition.
.2 Air temperature within 8 feet above deck level in indoor facilities shall be not lower than 76
degrees Fahrenheit, with relative humidity maintained at about 60% and air velocity at about
25 feet per minute.

Redbird Alum
July 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Perhaps this post would be helpful...

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol36/rushall1.htm

(note reference in credits to "swimmming man" paper)