PDA

View Full Version : Some Concerns About Swimming Unlisted

TooPro
July 16th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I just had some questions in general about swimming unlisted without a club. I realize this is a master's forum, and I'm discussing USA swimming, but everyone here has always been able to provide awesome adivce.

Well, I'm an age group swimmer, who swims on a pretty un competitive team, besides a few people.
I'm basically the 2nd fastest on the team behind 1 girl, how absolutely destroys >_>
My dream for the past 6 months has been to make the 2020 Olympic Team.

Basically my team being so noncompetitive and such, I've though of training myself. (One of the reasons I'm so interested in the Rushall Method)

Well I really feel as if if I do this, It'll be difficult to actually show my progress and such. Are there any specfici championsips which are difficult or things which I can look at as a measurement of my progress/success?

Britt03
July 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Do I understand your question correct that you are trying to find swim meets that you can competed at when competing unattached (without a club)?
if you just want to know how your times are compared to others, USAS releases Motivational times every Olympic cycle: http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/7346aa9b-b3a1-4c5f-b311-e857184daf12/2016MotivationalTimes-Top16SingleYear.pdf

sunruh
July 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
just to be clear:
there is no concern in USA Swimming by being unattached.
in masters there is when it comes to international meets (and this may get worse next weekend).

that said, you can enter any USA Swimming meet unattached (provided you have the entry times) and make the olympic team at '20 trials. best of luck!

Britt03
July 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
just to be clear:
there is no concern in USA Swimming by being unattached.
in masters there is when it comes to international meets (and this may get worse next weekend).

that said, you can enter any USA Swimming meet unattached (provided you have the entry times) and make the olympic team at '20 trials. best of luck!

Just a quick comment about entering USA Swimming meets unattached. It is correct that you can enter any meet but USAS rules have you have a USAS certified coach certify that you can dive off the blocks. If you can't provide that, you have to start from the water.
Also, some state and sectional meets assign you a supervising coach.

All this info comes from my own experience swimming USAS unattached since January 2013. I get around the dive rule by providing names of USAS coaches that have trained me and are well known already with my meet entries. For the "supervising coach", you either go with whoever you are assigned to or you know coaches that are happy to official supervise you.

But overall, go for it! good luck with training and competition!

Chris Stevenson
July 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Also, some state and sectional meets assign you a supervising coach.

This is also true if you represent a team but a coach from your team isn't at the meet.

orca1946
July 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM
?????? olympic trials & the girl beats you ?? HUH ??

Britt03
July 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM
This is also true if you represent a team but a coach from your team isn't at the meet.

good to know. Thanks for the info.

TooPro
July 20th, 2013, 12:57 AM
?????? olympic trials & the girl beats you ?? HUH ??
Wait what o_o