PDA

View Full Version : Shocked!

Maui Mike
July 18th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Having watched a bit of "Ride The Wild Surf" on TCM, I noticed in the credits that one of the leads was played by Murray Rose. When I relayed this trivia tidbit to a couple of Masters swim coaches that evening, I was shocked that they didn't know who Murray Rose was!
Am I just an old geez for even bringing this up?

pwb
July 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Having watched a bit of "Ride The Wild Surf" on TCM, I noticed in the credits that one of the leads was played by Murray Rose. When I relayed this trivia tidbit to a couple of Masters swim coaches that evening, I was shocked that they didn't know who Murray Rose was!
Am I just an old geez for even bringing this up?Have some faith, love and seaweed, my gentle hawaiian old geez of the sea. A least one youngish (46) guy knows of the legend. Any swim geek, especially any mid-distance to distance geek, should google him if they don't.

Rich Abrahams
July 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Sadly, Murray passed away this last year. He battled cancer with all the grace and dignity he displayed as a competitor.

Frank Thompson
July 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Am I just an old geez for even bringing this up?

No, you are not. I am linking the responses from masters swimmers when Murray passed way last year.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?20555-The-passing-of-Murray-Rose

Maui Mike
July 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Skip,
Thanks for the link and so many others you have posted as the de facto historian of swimming.
As a young high schooler in southern Cal when Rose, Konrads, Larsen and many other great swimmers were at USC, they were my idols.

Maui Mike
July 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Looking back, it seems that at the time many top swimmers emigrated to CA for the level of competition and great coaching, and of course these swimmers helped raise the level of competition. Peter Daland and George Haines are as legendary as John Wooden, but there were other coaches helping fill out our Olympic teams. Some outstanding coaches of that time and era that I remember, Don Gambril, Pete Accardy, Kris Kristianson (sp?), Bob Horn and Monte Nitzkowski (water polo), Jim Schultz, Urho Saari. They, and many others, all contributed to a great competitive climate and the advancement of our sport.

Martel
July 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I have to be honest, I had to google him but I do recognize his picture. Thank you for sharing this post though. I generally learn better when people bring up things in conversation like this. Once I've looked the person up and see how great they are it sticks in my mind better. Now I am going to have to go watch the movie. :)

Maui Mike
July 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
" Now I am going to have to go watch the movie. :)[/QUOTE]

Please don't spend any money on the movie. The plot sucks and the surfing is prehistoric.

Fresnoid
July 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Skip,
Thanks for the link and so many others you have posted as the de facto historian of swimming.
As a young high schooler in southern Cal when Rose, Konrads, Larsen and many other great swimmers were at USC, they were my idols.

Swimming for Daland in the early 80's included eduction about past greats and occasional introductions. I met Larsen and Buster Crabbe.

orca1946
July 19th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Still, I will chase down the next running of the movie to remember it.

Michael Blatt
July 19th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Looking back, it seems that at the time many top swimmers emigrated to CA for the level of competition and great coaching, and of course these swimmers helped raise the level of competition. Peter Daland and George Haines are as legendary as John Wooden, but there were other coaches helping fill out our Olympic teams. Some outstanding coaches of that time and era that I remember, Don Gambril, Pete Accardy, Kris Kristianson (sp?), Bob Horn and Monte Nitzkowski (water polo), Jim Schultz, Urho Saari. They, and many others, all contributed to a great competitive climate and the advancement of our sport.

For those who missed it, Pete Accardy passed away last weekend. The Cal State Northridge athletics website has a press release: http://gomatadors.com/genrel/7162013_Accardy_Pete

Thanks for mentioning him; he definitely belongs on your list of influential Southern California coaches.

Maui Mike
July 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
For those who missed it, Pete Accardy passed away last weekend. The Cal State Northridge athletics website has a press release: http://gomatadors.com/genrel/7162013_Accardy_Pete

Thanks for mentioning him; he definitely belongs on your list of influential Southern California coaches.

I didn't know him personally but remember him as an age group coach who seemed very bright and attentive, and a guy whose swimmers made continued dramatic improvements.