PDA

View Full Version : FINA and hot water

Allen Stark
July 19th, 2013, 09:22 PM
FINA seems ready to set a maximum water temperature for open water swims at 31 degrees centigrade(87.8 Farenheit.) http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/Commentary/35137.asp?q=FINA-In-Hot-Water-Over-Too-Hot-of-Open-Water---Again Further proof that swimmers welfare is not FINAs # 1 priority.

orca1946
July 20th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Do running races get called off when it is TOO HOT ?? I don't think so ! I have run1/2 & full marathons in 90 degree temps !!

pwb
July 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Do running races get called off when it is TOO HOT ?? I don't think so ! I have run1/2 & full marathons in 90 degree temps !!Two wrongs don't make it right. I dont know who FINA's decision serves. I have seen other commentators discuss money and the Middle East, but these events can't make organizers and sponsors that much money.

i think that, someday in the future, we start to look back in these days of events run in too much heat in the same way that minds have changed around concussions and head injuries: a past that we are almost ashamed of for our collective ignorance.

Allen Stark
July 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I lived in Houston for 21 years. One can accommodate to activity in high temperature and humidity states.I am not sure that same accommodation is possible in hot water, where sweat evaporation as a cooling adaptation is impossible.Ask anyone who swam at Nats in The Woodlands in 2007 who had an afternoon event if hot weather affected their performance.

aztimm
July 20th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Do running races get called off when it is TOO HOT ?? I don't think so ! I have run1/2 & full marathons in 90 degree temps !!

I knew I remembered hearing about this:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jWQX3pdBlEwyJOrGHlRzRaeEVJgQ

And even this one, much more recent:
http://www.runnersworld.com/races/heat-marathon-canceled-due-to-heat

But this one thrives on being run in the heat:
http://www.badwater.com/

Chris Stevenson
July 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM

If you're implying that OW swimmers should just suck it up and deal with warm water temperatures, I think that is an extremely foolish sentiment to put it (very) mildly. Cooling mechanisms for swimmers and runners are completely different.

31C is nearly 88F, which is ridiculously hot to practice in (possibly with generous intervals and a coach spraying cool water on the swimmers), much less RACE long distances without stopping. How many 5K or 10K swim races have you done at 88 degree water temperatures?

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Maybe it's time the swimmers collectively decided not to participate in events where the water temperature is at an unsafe level. FINA can host all of the events they want in warm water, but if the majority of athletes don't show up, they might have second thoughts about their water temperature rules.

Aside from this making a statement to FINA that their maximum water temperature is unacceptable and dangerous, at the end of the day each of the athletes must take their own health into account when deciding how much risk they are willing to take in order to compete in an OW event.

BobBruce
July 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I find it interesting and illuminating (in so many ways) that the study cited by FINA in justifying a 31 degree Celsius maximum in open water appears not to be publicly available for review. A decision that seems so counter-intuitive to our cumulative experience requires an unflawed study with appropriate numbers and types of test subjects, a vigorous protocol, and a clear conclusion. And, because the study was commissioned by two national governing bodies--neither with a sterling reputation for unbiased decision-making--I am highly skeptical right out of the gate, without even seeing the study results yet.

ElaineK
July 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM
I lived in Houston for 21 years. One can accommodate to activity in high temperature and humidity states.I am not sure that same accommodation is possible in hot water, where sweat evaporation as a cooling adaptation is impossible.Ask anyone who swam at Nats in The Woodlands in 2007 who had an afternoon event if hot weather affected their performance.

How about the heat in Mesa, during 2011 Spring Nationals? The heat affected me so much, I unable to compete at all on the final day. And, it took me a couple of weeks to recover. :badday:

debaru
July 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM
FINA seems ready to set a maximum water temperature for open water swims at 31 degrees centigrade(87.8 Farenheit.) http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/Commentary/35137.asp?q=FINA-In-Hot-Water-Over-Too-Hot-of-Open-Water---Again Further proof that swimmers welfare is not FINAs # 1 priority.

What really irks me about this decision is that the maximum water temperature FINA has announced is about the same as the water temperature that contributed to Fran Crippen's death. This just doesn't make sense!

Martel
July 21st, 2013, 01:20 AM
What is the point in even having the water this hot? Don't see how people can say training in hot weather is the same as swimming in a hot pool. Totally different thing. I hope everyone can work together on this one. I'm not big into competitions, not quite there yet, but would gladly do what I can to help support those who don't want to compete in this.

knelson
July 21st, 2013, 01:43 AM
What is the point in even having the water this hot?

I don't think the point is having water this hot, the point is that countries want to host events and the water temp is this hot in those places.

gull
July 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM
If a runner is overcome by the heat and collapses, it is immediately obvious to spectators and to other runners alike. Not so in open water swimming, at least as the events are staged currently.

Bill Sive
July 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
I purchased a pool thermometer and have taken it with me when I swim. I have been fortunate to be swimming in pools that are between 80F and 82F. I have found pools warmer than this effect my swimming. A couple of weeks ago one pool was 77F. I have found through my personal observation during my workouts that the cooler the water the better my performance.

Does the FINA board members even swim? I have less respect for non-swimming governing boards, and coaches. I have greater respect for governing board members who swim, and more importantly compete in swim meets.

I know of three swim coaches who swim and compete. Too bad I can't join one of their teams. They are too far away from me.

Lump
July 22nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
I did the "Swim Around Key West" relay (3-man) a few years ago and the air temp was 97-99 and the water temp was 88-90. All I got is two words:

Never Again

It was pretty miserable.