PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a competitive swimmer and a fitness swimm

Dennis Tesch
July 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM
It seems that masters swimmers like to be classified either as a competitive swimmer or a fitness swimmer. I would love to hear what everyone thinks is the difference between the two?

Kevin in MD
July 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
It seems that masters swimming marketing people like to classify swimmers as either a competitive swimmer or a fitness swimmer.

In my own experience when you tell people that the team is going to a meet on Saturday and then going to the local watering hole afterward, everyone is willing to go. I've yet to see the supposed dichotomy of competitive and fitness swimmers. My usual comment is "Did you ask them if they wanted to come to the meet?"

haffathot
July 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM
It seems that masters swimmers like to be classified either as a competitive swimmer or a fitness swimmer. I would love to hear what everyone thinks is the difference between the two?

Many masters teams don't compete. I suppose those swimmers, unless training for a triathlon, would have to be classified as fitness swimmers. Generally, though, I think a masters coach can easily create a swim program focused on fitness and not competitive advantage.

Bobinator
July 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm, I like to compete from time to time but the primary reason I swim is to be physically fit. The competitive/fitness thing works synergistically for me!

sunruh
July 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM

fitness swimmers might be considered sane.

we, the fanatical, competitive swimmers are quite clearly clinically insane!
doubly so those of us that do distance events. oh, heck, i was totally nuts as a kid as well, i didnt grow into my insanity!

jpetyk
July 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
"Did you ask them if they wanted to come to the meet?"
On our team, we BEG people to sign up for meets. There are about 5 or 6 of us willing, the other 45 or so are only there for fitness or to improve their swimming ability for their next Ironman.

magick17
July 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM
On our team, we BEG people to sign up for meets. There are about 5 or 6 of us willing, the other 45 or so are only there for fitness or to improve their swimming ability for their next Ironman.
Yep this is how I feel :dedhorse:
but really we are all in it for fitness

Katherine Neustadt
August 11th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I consider myself a competitive swimmer, but go much slower than a lot of the 'fitness' swimmers. I would say the main difference is that the competitive swimmer is constantly trying to improve technique (and therefore time), where as the fitness swimmer is only looking to get his/her heartrate up to the necessary rate to improve or maintain fitness. They may improve technique to make swimming easier or to be able to do it for longer, and they will likely get faster as a result. But the focus is different. In the pool, the only real difference is likely (but not always) to be that the 'fitness swimmer' probably rarely does any stroke other than front crawl, maybe some slow breaststroke or backstroke for 'cool-down' and probably has very little desire to learn or swim fly.

ALM
August 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Here are some statistics for you. On our Event Results page (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/), you'll see a table that shows that for the meets that are in our database, in 2012 there were 17,026 unique member participants. We had a total of 58,656 members in 2012. So that means that 29% of our members competed in a swim meet in 2012.

Anna Lea Matysek