PDA

View Full Version : A Turning Method (No Wall) for Half-Pool Swimmers?

creativelogic
July 31st, 2013, 07:16 AM
I currently swim half pool lengths, as I am a beginner and do not have the stamina to go into the lap lanes.

One challenge I have found is in having to stop and plant my feet after reaching the half-way point (which is indicated by ropes) and restart my body position in order to swim back the other way. I'm curious if there is a techique for doing turns without a wall that would help me keep some kind of continuity in swimming? Thanks so much in advance for your time and your help! :applaud:

norascats
July 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
I can think of two things right off. One is to dive down and come back up in swimming position. The other is a 1/2 somersault coming out on your back and roll into face down position. If you can do #2 comfortably, it shouldn't be too hard to swim a length of the pool by starting on your front and switching to your back to rest. This builds up swim stamina without the need to keep your breathing regulated.
Good luck and keep swimming.

Rob Copeland
July 31st, 2013, 11:27 AM
There are a few ways to change direction in water without using a wall. Most are used in open water practices and events. However it seems to me that your focus should be on building the stamina to swim complete lengths of the pool more than trying to develop a more efficient mid-pool turn.

Congratulations on getting into swimming and being able to make it half-way across the pool. Keep it up and continue to work to getting all the way across once and then build up to multiple lengths. With practice and a good coach/teacher, you may be swims lots of laps in the near future.

__steve__
July 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM
In support of the other comments, there is a way to turn mid-pool without contacting the bottom, but you lose momentum and all leverage (wall), and the energy it takes to get back to speed in more than enough to get to the other wall for a length

Michael Heather
August 1st, 2013, 01:16 AM
I see several partial-length turns every day during early morning workouts by people who can easily swim the whole length of a 50 meter pool but choose not to. It is not tough to swim the entire length, just keep swimming to the other wall. The water is your friend.