PDA

View Full Version : New to swimming 18 years old

omidiano
July 31st, 2013, 09:15 AM
hello all,

I'm from The Netherlands my stats are:

7'1 tall
230lbs

I want to swim faster is there a program somewhere that I can follow?
Also is it good to do weight lifting like squats,deadlifts, benchpress and all others that work the entire body I know to much muscle wont make you faster in the water but by having a low bodyfat and and little muscle mass that will make you faster?

TooPro
July 31st, 2013, 08:32 PM
hello all,

I'm from The Netherlands my stats are:

7'1 tall

That's awesome! Height = Speed in the water.
i know of a few programs but they're expensive, and just drill progressions.

I've personally been Crossfit, and it's from what I see helped my swimming. An Australian coach told me most Elite guys he knows have anywhere from 6-10 percent body fat. I don't know how true that is.

Sorry for not having much advice. Soon someng like Ande will come along and help you :3

Martel
July 31st, 2013, 10:17 PM
Wow, that's some height. How often do you practice? Do you have a coach? If I were you I'd spend as much time in the pool as possible. This will have you tone up without gaining a lot of muscle mass to slow you down.

omidiano
August 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Tnx yh i dont like to be this tall tbh i have very long arms, longer torso than my legs

omidiano
August 1st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hey,

Not atm but im going to swim every day 1-3 hours and 1 hour weight lifting with weight lifting i'm going to aim flexibility and strengththe latissimus dorsi must be trained since swimmers use them alot:). And I'm not American but Dutch and I got my motivation from Pieter van den Hoogenband I think u know him. First i was more into bodybuilding since my twin brother was also into bodybuilding, but I know how those pro's workout alot of time spending in the water and very less weigh training:)
i only think i get difficult with nutrition I dont want to get malnourished since swimming burns alot of calories.

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2013, 12:57 PM
I suggest you look at the KNZB web site http://www.knzb.nl/wedstrijdsport/zwemmen/ to fins a swim club. The best way to get better is to get hooked up with a good coached swim program.

omidiano
August 1st, 2013, 01:49 PM
I suggest you look at the KNZB web site http://www.knzb.nl/wedstrijdsport/zwemmen/ to fins a swim club. The best way to get better is to get hooked up with a good coached swim program.
Tnx so much i will look at it now:)