PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration of my "Go The Distance" swim cap

harleycodr
August 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Hi all
I got my 50 miles Go The Distance cap in the mail yesterday (started swimming in March after a long absence) and very proudly wore it to my swim this morning.W

When I was done, I noticed that it had discolored BIGTIME. You could see where my goggle straps had covered it; that part was still white, but the rest of it is sort of a dingy off white color. Is this a chlorine to latex reaction or what? Should I be grossed out and boycott my pool? I have never swam with a white cap before.

Boomerang
August 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mine turned an orange-ish color pretty quickly...I stopped using it. The one I got this year I treat more like a reward in my bag and just keep it in there unused. I've gone back to Navy/Black.

Bobinator
August 6th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Your pool may have some type of chemical issue. My cap slowly and gradually turned darker but it took a couple months of swimming (at least 5X per week for 60-75 minutes).

MarkSki
August 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I just got mine a couple of days ago as well and was debating whether or not to use it due to the warnings about discoloration if not immediately dried and powdered. Now, I know. I guess I'll just keep it as a trophy type of item.

As a side question, I haven't yet used a swim cap and have close cropped hair. But I have been thinking about buying one as most of the serious swimmers I see at the Y wear them. Is there any real benefit to a swim cap for a guy sporting a buzz?

sickfish
August 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Is there any real benefit to a swim cap for a guy sporting a buzz?

It's probably a good idea if you plan to race. And if you plan to race with one, you should practice with one too, especially starts - I find that my "depth" perception is different when wearing a cap, so I start my breakouts too early unless I'm used to it.

smontanaro
August 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I find that my "depth" perception is different when wearing a cap...

??? Does it cover your eyes?

I have a few of these 50-mile caps. I never swim with a cap except on the rare occasions when I swim in open water, so they just gather dust...

aztimm
August 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I just got mine a couple of days ago as well and was debating whether or not to use it due to the warnings about discoloration if not immediately dried and powdered. Now, I know. I guess I'll just keep it as a trophy type of item.

As a side question, I haven't yet used a swim cap and have close cropped hair. But I have been thinking about buying one as most of the serious swimmers I see at the Y wear them. Is there any real benefit to a swim cap for a guy sporting a buzz?

I don't think I've ever worn a GTD cap, though I've received a few of them.

When I swim in meets, I'll do the shorter events with a cap, possibly the longer events depending on water/air temp. I'll wear a cap for o/w swimming (the brightest I can find, for visibility), but otherwise I rarely, if ever, wear one. I've never enountered any issues with wearing a cap for up to a 400m free swim. Yea it does feel a bit odd, but so does wearing a jammer when you're not used to it either. I think I've encountered more odd feelings wearing a jammer the first time than a cap.

flystorms
August 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I think the depth perception comment comes from being able to see the cap in the reflection/refraction in the water a bit, or with your peripheral vision. It's strange seeing it at first, but once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

Bobinator
August 7th, 2013, 03:42 PM
If you are swimming open water in cold water a silicone cap provides a bit of warmth for you.
I've always been under the assumption that caps make you a little more hydro-dynamic, although if you don't have hair I'd think your scalp would do the same thing.

MarkSki
August 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the tips! Definitely considering Masters competitions but have a ways to go. My goal is to not be the ridiculous middle-aged guy and finish un-noticed somehwere in the middle of the pack. :) Will likely try a swim cap (not my GTD) in the near future and go from there ...

(and I dig my Jammer)

sickfish
August 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM
... When wearing a cap, I can't tell how "deep" I am in the water. And I can't feel my head break the surface. My perception of my depth is messed up. /facepalm

Sojerz
August 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM
The cap protects your hair somewhat from the effects of chlorine exposure (chlorine drying it out and making it brittle), especially as you age, and if you swim in a pool for an hour or more per day. Cap probably doesn't provide much protection benefit if your hair is really short. Additionally, if you've shaved and tapered, but didn't want to shave your head, it would seem that the cap would reduce hydrodynamic resistance from the hair on your head.

My GTD caps have all discolored pretty badly and at least one got tossed.

I wore one GTD cap to an OW swim with a lot of triathletes, and a guy I was chatting with asked me if I really swam a 50 mile event. :D

novaswimwear
August 9th, 2013, 01:11 AM
The swimming cap is designed to protect your hair, also stopping lose hair going through the pool filter :P That said your silicone cap shouldn't discolor too much, do you know what weight it was as there are different silicone thicknesses. Not that you have a choice in what weight silicone they use :)

ekw
August 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I wore one GTD cap to an OW swim with a lot of triathletes, and a guy I was chatting with asked me if I really swam a 50 mile event. :D

You told him yes, right? It sounds like he didn't specify continuous. :agree:

hnatkin
August 9th, 2013, 10:06 PM
My white or light colored latex caps all discolor. GTD cap is typical.

Rnovitske
August 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I got my first cap in the mail this week. Looking forward to turning it yellowish. Our team swim caps are now ordered in black because the white ones turned color; turned faster at some pools than others, and swimmers were complaining. Maybe if the caps don't turn color, then there is something wrong with THAT pool.