PDA

View Full Version : Hand Entry Drill Needed

Boomerang
August 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Just saw some footage of my freestyle swims and it looks like, immediately after entry, my hand pulls outward instead of directly down. I can't feel myself doing this while I am swimming, though - to me, feels like I am pulling down. Can anyone recommend drills or things to keep in mind to prevent an "outward" pull instead of a downward pull with high elbow?

sunruh
August 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
you should be able to watch your hand.

not only that but you should see your middle finger middle knuckle pass below your nose. elbows bent at about 90-100 degrees.

__steve__
August 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Never pull hand down. Only push back. Per Maglischo, from the downsweep - catch any downward force creates drag from lifting front up, wastes energy by not providing forward momentum, and burdens the shoulder joint. You can apply force early (as with early catch and high elbow) if your shoulders can handle it, but only while the forearm and hand are facing back.

Let the fingertips free-fall gradually pointing down until the lower arm is facing back in the catch position, then pull:).

I have found agility paddles useful with this and it might help your downsweep issue.

Is this problem on your breathing side?

debaru
August 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Just saw some footage of my freestyle swims and it looks like, immediately after entry, my hand pulls outward instead of directly down. I can't feel myself doing this while I am swimming, though - to me, feels like I am pulling down. Can anyone recommend drills or things to keep in mind to prevent an "outward" pull instead of a downward pull with high elbow?

What worked for me was to use a flat paddle (Strokemakers (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1231.htm#color=209) work well for this) and instead of placing the rubber tubing around a finger and your wrist, only use the rubber tubing with your middle finger. If you enter the water/pull incorrectly, the paddle will slip out of position, providing instant feedback.