PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke start

LDEEGE
August 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Can anyone tell me if it OK to have feet/toes out of the water on the start? I was asked to put them into the water at recent meet, but I thought I noticed some swimmers with feet out of the water at the recent World Championships. I prefer my feet a bit higher on the start.

Chris Stevenson
August 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Can anyone tell me if it OK to have feet/toes out of the water on the start? I was asked to put them into the water at recent meet, but I thought I noticed some swimmers with feet out of the water at the recent World Championships. I prefer my feet a bit higher on the start.

You are allowed to have feet/toes out of the water, but you are not allowed to curl your toes over the edge of a gutter. At World Championships they had flat ("FINA") walls with no gutters, so they are able to have their heat higher out of the water without any problem with the gutter.

LDEEGE
August 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Thank you very much for your kind reply. Another unrelated question: It used to be OK to swim the butterfly with the frog kick. Is this still OK? I find it a lot easier to finish IMs when I don't have to use the dophin kick. I am 73 yeas old and am jsut getting into swimming a lot more competitions.

Chris Stevenson
August 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
It used to be OK to swim the butterfly with the frog kick. Is this still OK?

In masters: yes it is okay. Enjoy!

LDEEGE
August 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks again Chris!!! I probably saw you at the last Richmond meet and wished I could have said Hello.