PDA

View Full Version : Training once per week

SLOmmafan
August 7th, 2013, 01:18 PM
So, for the next two months or so I am going to be limited (due to time) to only 1 practice per week (2 if I can get lucky).

I had been training 3-4 times per week, 3500-4500 yard in 1.5 hours.

Basically, I am looking for ideas to maximize that 1 practice. My main concern is keeping up endurance for mid-diatance freestyle...my race specialty. I was thinking some interval work, so I can keep track of my progress (or regress as I fear). Also, should have some time to supplement with a few days of "dry land" training.

Britt03
August 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
try to squeeze that second time in somewhere if possible. Even 15min in the water will get you more benefit than only swimming once a week.
My main concern would be the feeling in the water if you only get to swim once a week. You will feel like you haven't swam in months (at least that's how I feel).
If you can add dry land training, especially since you are home in the distance freestyle, your form should be fine over the next couple of months. The only thing that will suffer is how you feel in the water, but that will come back quickly if you keep training (on or off land)

Redbird Alum
August 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM
If you only get the one (in my opinion):

- Make sure you stretch before you get in, not overextending and keep moving through the stretch cycle.
- Long, loose, but interval-based warm-up set to get your feel, work out the kinks, and reset your breathing. (20-25%)
- Middle to short distance, long and strong sets at a challenging interval. (20-30%)
- work in a little kicking / strokework set (15-20%)
- sprint set at your best interval. (25%)
- loosen up / warm down and get out. (5-10%)

SLOmmafan
August 9th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the advice from both of you, especially Redbird.

Obviously, its less than ideal circumstances that have me only getting in this little. My hope is to do a little more running/biking around my neighborhood on days that I do have free time.

orca1946
August 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Don't forget dry land & gym stuff. They will keep up the muscles you want to use in the water.