PDA

View Full Version : Video Analysis

stephenhancock
August 12th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hey All,

I took about a year off from swimming after learning as an adult (T.I.) because of a shoulder injury. I've bought the SS book and tempo trainer and started back about 2.5 weeks ago. I managed to film myself (after 2000m main set) and thought I would film myself to see any improvement.This year I'd love to get a more propulsive stroke in order to join a masters group this winter. Could you review and send any comments on the biggest and baddest points of my form. I have a weak kick and have been doing ande's "Improve your Kick" and "Improve your SDK" for the last two weeks, but I need to work on all aspects of my stroke.

Thanks
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrriQNhmjo

Current Bests SCM from Push

50m - 38s
100m - 1:28
200m - 3:11
400m - 7:01

Kick
25m - 29.5s Aug 5
15m SDK - 13.1 17 SDK's Aug 7

Allen Stark
August 12th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I can't see for sure from this angle,but I think I see a couple of things.On the pushoff you have good streamline with your shoulders,but you seem to arch your back,which increases drag.I think on your pull you are leading with your elbows instead of getting into an EVF.You body roll and timing look good to me.

Swimspire
August 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hey All,

I took about a year off from swimming after learning as an adult (T.I.) because of a shoulder injury. I've bought the SS book and tempo trainer and started back about 2.5 weeks ago. I managed to film myself (after 2000m main set) and thought I would film myself to see any improvement.This year I'd love to get a more propulsive stroke in order to join a masters group this winter. Could you review and send any comments on the biggest and baddest points of my form. I have a weak kick and have been doing ande's "Improve your Kick" and "Improve your SDK" for the last two weeks, but I need to work on all aspects of my stroke.

Thanks
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrriQNhmjo

Current Bests SCM from Push

50m - 38s
100m - 1:28
200m - 3:11
400m - 7:01

Kick
25m - 29.5s Aug 5
15m SDK - 13.1 17 SDK's Aug 7

Hi Steve,

To start with your kick, which seemed to be your biggest concern - you actually have a fairly strong kick, and good rotation of the body. However, you appear to not have a continuous kick, particularly when you take a breath. If you look at the video, youíll see that at these times, your kick pauses and also becomes a little too wide, creating more resistance and thus slowing you down.

In terms of your stroke mechanics, your right hand crosses over when you place and extend your hand in the water. You should place your hand in front of the shoulder, never in front of the nose or face.

Itís difficult to analyze your recovery from the underwater angle in your video, but the way that your hands enter the water, especially on the right arm, indicate that you are not emphasizing a high elbow recovery. It is important to lift your elbow about 90 degrees as you recover, with the forearm relaxed, instead of swinging your arm up and over. A high elbow recovery will help you to avoid shoulder injuries.

Some drills I would suggest working on to improve your stroke mechanics:

Roll Shoulders Kick
Kick at Side
Single arm (breathing on and breathing away from stroking side)
Fingertip Drag

Good luck!

Julia Galan
Head Coach and Director at Swimspire
www.swimspire.com (http://www.swimspire.com)