PDA

View Full Version : How can I do a fast turn while using inverted breaststroke?

sloswimmer
August 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
I am several seconds faster in a backstroke race doing inverted breaststroke than doing an inverted crawl stroke, but I am terrible at making a turn at the wall. Should I flip over on my stomach and do a tumble turn as I approach the wall? Would this violate any rules? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Allen Stark
August 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
I would recommend that about 2 strokes from the wall you switch to some variation of backcrawl so that you can more easily legally turn on your stomach for the flip.As long as you are on your back until the one continuous stroke into the flip you are legal. If the source of your superior speed in inverted breaststroke to backcrawl is a strong breaststroke kick,you might try swimming alternate arm with an eggbeater kick.I have seen some fast backstroke swum that way.With years of practice I have gotten my backcrawl faster than my inverted breast,on the surface,however my breaststroke underwater is much faster than my backcrawl on the surface or my SDK. Underwater, I can swim regular breaststroke on my back.For this reason I try to make full use of the 15M underwater allowed off the turns(and start.)

smontanaro
August 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
I am several seconds faster in a backstroke race doing inverted breaststroke than doing an inverted crawl stroke, but I am terrible at making a turn at the wall. Should I flip over on my stomach and do a tumble turn as I approach the wall? Would this violate any rules? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As Allen suggested, I would try to get into normal backstroke a bit before needing to flip. If that doesn't work for you, try to get someone (coach, stroke judge, experienced backstroker) to watch you turn using your inverted breaststroke to make sure you're doing your flip turns by the book. I'm sure the backstroke flip turn rules were written with normal backstroke in mind. Also, if a flip turn doesn't work for you, remember that you need not touch with both hands. You might be able to develop a much faster open turn by rotating 90 degrees and touching with just your underwater hand.

Midas
August 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
I think we need to add double arm backstroke as a competitive event! :bolt: