PDA

View Full Version : User Titles

matysekj
January 29th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Below each user's name in their post is a user title, which is based on the number of posts that user has created. The user title scheme we are using initially is basically the default scheme consisting of "Newbie", "Junior Member", "Member", and "Senior Member". I'm not creative enough to come up with a really interesting swimming-related scheme. I'm open for suggestions.

When thinking about this, remember that the majority of our members are NOT competitive swimmers, so a scheme that has "Olympic Champion" or something similar as the top level may not be the best (or it may be - who knows how people will feel?). I think the more levels, the better, and we should have at least 5 or 6 levels. After all, some people post an awful lot of messages in a year or so.

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Of course....

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 05:40 AM
...some people might try to...

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 05:44 AM
... post a bunch of frivolous...

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 05:46 AM
...posts just to get their ranking up.

How about a ranking of "General Annoyance" for those who post lots of one line posts in a short period of time?

matysekj
January 30th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Emmett,

....and *poof*, you're back to a Newbie with one post. The moral of the story is to never piss off the administrator. I could have just as easily modified your user title to something "special". Have a nice day, I'm sure you'll make up your number of posts with some of your more useful insights. :)

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Poll Idea:

A poll letting the users identify which individuals should have "special" user titles.

matysekj
January 30th, 2002, 01:36 PM
That's one of the reasons why regular users don't have the ability to create polls.

emmett
January 30th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Just trying to explore the far reaches of the new forum's capability.

Can we request special user titles for our ourselves...

Wrinkled Distance Swimmer
Drop Dead Sprinter
Master Of All Things Great And Small
King Of The Slow Lane
Waterlogged

etc?

We could make it a USMS Foundation fund-raiser! Charge $25 for a "Special" title. Or let people BID on really good ones for even bigger donations!

matysekj
January 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Custom user titles is an option with this software (just about anything you can think of is an option). I have this option disabled because it's one more thing I'd have to check for abuse, and there's no automatic notification system for users changing their titles. If we ever decide to open this up, there are options to set that allow custom user titles after a certain (settable) number of posts and/or days since registration.

Now, if you wrote your custom user title request on the back of a $20 bill and sent it to me, I may consider it :) .... not!

GZoltners
February 1st, 2002, 10:40 AM
I'm sure someone can think of some clever swimming related titles. How about

drop
splash
wave
tsunami

or
dogpaddler
freestyler
butterflier
backstroker
IMer
breastroker

Ha!

Swim fast,
Greg

Mark in MD
February 2nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
HI there, folks!

I've never been big on titles ... ever. Remember the adage "Titles are like ____, everyone has one?" I am certainly not trying to rain on the Administrator's parade/ideas/creativity here. He deserves his lion's share of the credit for maintaining this site, dealing with the less-than-savvy posters, etc., etc. I just hate titles. Would it not be better to let the number of posts show under the user's moniker and leave it to that? Of course, then Emmett's idea may go forth, that is, people will begin to post one-sentence messages to run the number up.

BUT, here's a compromise. Why not make the appearance of the titles optional to the user?

Just a quick thought here. (By the way, I am not trying to run my number of posts up here.) ;)

Matt S
February 2nd, 2002, 11:23 AM
All,

My non-scientific, non-poll suggestion is this. Since we all know that Emmett is a "special case" (those of you who are Ancient and Honorable Shellbacks know what I mean :D , so please try not to guffaw too loudly, it frightens the wogs), I think just for him, we need to bestow a special title:

Universally Recognized Smarty-Pants.

Matt

Tom Ellison
February 2nd, 2002, 12:45 PM
I have a good one for Emmett..."Brain Pan":D

strong440
February 2nd, 2002, 02:31 PM
You might be able to find an exception if you try hard enough, but I think you'll find all Masters swimmers, be they competitors or not, have at least one thing in common. We all swim laps. Thus I suggest that "newbie", etc. be replaced by "lap 1", lap 2, etc.

As an aside, I'll bet that we won't have a discussion in this usage whether a lap equals one length or two. ;)

Mark in MD
February 2nd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Nice idea Doug ... better than "Newbie," etc. I'd go along with that! I just hate ranking folks who take the time to sit down and key in their thoughts (for lack of a better term!), such as myself! Of course, could we end up with a 100-lane pool? (Wouldn't want to keep the maintenance going on THAT one.) :mad:

As for Matt, do I detect just a wee bit of envy here? Hmm. Maybe so? Maybe so. :) Unfortunately, since I don't know all about Emmett, maybe the last sentence might not fit here. (I have a strange feeling some of you guys are going to fill me in.)

I do like the lane idea, though. So ... I'll retract my previous ramblings.

'Bye now!

Mark in MD
February 2nd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Matt,

You came up with Universally Recognized Smartie Pants for Emmett. Should URSP be considered a four-letter word (as defined by George Carlin) here? :confused:

Hmm ... maybe I should be on stage ... the next one outta town.

'Bye!

Bert Petersen
February 2nd, 2002, 03:36 PM
remember who the boss is here. From Star Wars, c3po says " let the Wookie win". Besides, my competitive juices are flowing hard to try and become a "senior" something, whatever.....:p

emmett
February 2nd, 2002, 07:16 PM
Glad some of you are thinking about what my title should be - that way I don't have to.

OK, here's the deal - I'll accept any title this group votes in favor of. But only if each person who votes makes a minimum $5 donation to the USMS Foundation.

Regarding the little graphics - Seems like each team that wanted to could submit a team logo to be included on the list of graphics. Then members could choose to "fly their team colors" in the forum.

strong440
February 2nd, 2002, 10:56 PM
Hey, Dr. Swimguy
I said laps, not lanes. Lanes, at least so far, are finite, while laps are infinite.

And Jim, if I may be so bold, user titles could equal user degrees.
Starting with due North as zero at the top of the compass just go around the circle in 360 degrees, each of which is divisable by 60, called minutes. And hey, this would be a good way to use all of those minutes which are cluttering up our timing system!

Mark in MD
February 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Doug,

Sorry to have misquoted you. Thanks for the correction as I should have read your post a few more times before responding. BTW, I'm not "Dr." as "md" in my ID refers to "Maryland." Perhaps I should consider changing it ... fast.

strong440
February 3rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
Hey Mark, apology accepted. How could it be otherwise when I've been fretting all morning about having misquoted my own self in another thread, You know you're swimmer when... I meant to say, "when your wife asks at the supper table 'how's come you're wearing your swim goggles around your neck '?"

Mark in MD
February 3rd, 2002, 06:56 PM
Well, Doug, I know what you mean about your wife's comments. Mine has made few comments about stuff hanging to dry in the spare bath room, including goggles, swim suits, towels, etc., etc. How come wives can hang their lingerie in the bath room, but we can't hang our stuff in there? :rolleyes:

Hey, now that's an idea for a poll: "Where do you get to dry out your pool toys and duds?" ;)

'Bye for now. (Yes, I've changed my ID.)

ALM
March 7th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Back to the original question, which was to come up with better titles than "Newbie", "Participating Member", etc.

Jim says that we're not all competitive swimmers, but we all swim (or write) workouts so maybe it could be something along those lines. For example, it could be just straight yardage:

50 yds
200 yds
500 yds
1000 yds
1650 yds
3000 yds

Or, it could be set-related:

1 x 25 Free
2 x 50 Back
3 x 100 Breast
4 x 200 Fly
5 x 400 IM

Or, body-of-water-related:

Maui Channel
Alcatraz to San Francisco
Mississippi River
English Channel
Catalina to LA
Pacific Ocean

matysekj
October 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Leslie,

You are now The Fortress. It looks like that's not an option you can change yourself, so I changed it for you.

swimshark
October 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Dear Administrator:

Can you tell me how to change by user title (not the profile, I did that). I would like to take Geochuck's advise and change my user name to The Fortress instead of Leslie. Just can't figure out how to do it. Neither can George.

Thanks. Leslie

Hijackin a thread here!

Alison, nice name. Great spelling and we live near each other. My husband works in Vienna - at the toilet bowl building. We're in Gainesville.:woot:

Alison

swimshark
October 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
That was me, in Oregon. We moved to Virginia 6 months ago.

Alison

Redbird Alum
December 22nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Dear Administrator -

How does one go about using a custom Avatar instead of just the selectable ones? I originally started adding an image to my signature, but being a good systems person, realized I am just eating up server space.

Is it based on reaching some sort of minimum post?
Thanks

matysekj
December 22nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Dear Administrator -
Is it based on reaching some sort of minimum post?

Yes, the ability to upload a custom avatar is enabled after you reach 30 posts. Note that it isn't enabled immediately after that post, but is enabled automatically with either 15 or 30 minutes of your 30th post (can't recall the exact timing of this offhand).

Speedo Racer
January 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes, the ability to upload a custom avatar is enabled after you reach 30 posts. Note that it isn't enabled immediately after that post, but is enabled automatically with either 15 or 30 minutes of your 30th post (can't recall the exact timing of this offhand).

Interesting. I've posted over 30 and it has been a week ago or so and I do not have the option to upload anything in the control panel. Was that disabled or am I not looking in the right place?

matysekj
January 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Interesting. I've posted over 30 and it has been a week ago or so and I do not have the option to upload anything in the control panel. Was that disabled or am I not looking in the right place?

Kevin,

The automatic user promotion didn't work for your account because of your "special" status as a workout provider here. I've corrected that now, so you should be able to add a custom avatar.

3strokes
March 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM
matysekj;71698
[/QUOTE]
Ten more to go (Nine after this one). Not that I'm actually "counting" but I was curious because I did upload an image (a picture). It shows in my profile but does not display. (I tried displaying it as part of the Signature; that didn't work either). It's a picture dear to me as it was part of an article where I was interviewed by the Ottawa Citizen (Feb 2004) when I wrote to the editor protesting the City Council's plan to close "my" City Pool (the only one near to and on the way to work).

I am glad to report (and I'd like to think --- humbly :bow: --- that it was due to that article) that they did not close the pool. (They did reduce some other City services in order to give themselves the raises they wanted, but .......)

Great site; great job
Cheers

3strokes
April 28th, 2007, 11:56 PM
You might be able to find an exception if you try hard enough, but I think you'll find all Masters swimmers, be they competitors or not, have at least one thing in common. We all swim laps. Thus I suggest that "newbie", etc. be replaced by "lap 1", lap 2, etc.

As an aside, I'll bet that we won't have a discussion in this usage whether a lap equals one length or two. ;)

Here I am, five (+ or -) years later, asking,

"lap1, lap2, lap3 etc...
LCM, SCM, SCY ???"

Steve Ruiter
May 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I don't have any cute title ideas, but my personal opinion is that everyone has so much of importance to say on these forums, and with each additional post the value of each post becomes 1/N. My recollection from calculus is that 1/N approaches zero as N increases.

Empirical evidence seems to be that somewhere around 200 posts the value of each one is indistinguishable from zero.

[I'm guessing that I too have pissed off the administrator and/or his minions, so my count will be reset UPWARDS from 50 to 200.]

knelson
May 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Empirical evidence seems to be that somewhere around 200 posts the value of each one is indistinguishable from zero.

Well, Steve, if everyone here posted as much as you it would be a tad boring, don't you think?

I always get a kick out of people who are convinced discussion boards aren't actually meant to be posted on.

SwimStud
May 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Well, Steve, if everyone here posted as much as you it would be a tad boring, don't you think?

I always get a kick out of people who are convinced discussion boards aren't actually meant to be posted on.

Kirk. You're entitled to your opinion, but please keep it to yourself. We're not here to listen to you.

Thanks

:rofl:

Steve Ruiter
May 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Did I say 200? I meant 2,000. Yeah, thats it. And maybe you should look at T/N (elapsed time per post) for a more accurate measure.

Maybe I should have said more specifically what I meant. I think people need to turn on a mental filter and ask a few questions before posting like: is this post adding to the discussion and is it worth making it permanent and public?

There are some posts that dilute the discussions. I just wish there were less of them, and more well thought out, pertinent ones.

mattson
May 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
... is this post adding to the discussion and is it worth making it permanent and public?

There are some posts that dilute the discussions. I just wish there were less of them, and more well thought out, pertinent ones.

What he said. :thhbbb: