PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in first day of Masters?

aggie-doc-premed2016
August 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hi! I am a sophomore college student, from Houston, TX, at Texas A&M looking to join a Masters Swim in the Rec Center on campus. My background story: During my freshman year at A&M, I wasn't able to dedicate time to working out, because I was busy dealing with my pre-med classes as a biology major. After my freshman year, I came back to martial arts training where I left off, but also decided to take up swimming for fun. Back in May, I started swimming some laps at the nearby YMCA pool. At first, I could barely swim straight 25 m across the pool and had to take long rest intervals in between each lap. Eventually, with continual practice throughout summer, I am now able to swim at least 1000 - 1200 m total workout. It's okay considering that back in May I could only do 200-500 m total workouts at most. :o I have been in martial arts for 7 years, and I will tell you that swimming is hard, but awesome! Anyways, coming into my sophomore year, despite dealing with classes like Organic Chem :D, I would like to continue swimming year-round. So, I registered for the Masters Swim that will start next week in the Rec Center on campus. I am a little nervous for it, since I never did a masters before. At the same time, I am excited about trying it out. I am probably gonna start out in the slowest lane or 2nd slowest, just to get used to the structure of the workout. I am looking forward to enjoying my sophomore year with my classes, masters swim (hopefully, fingers crossed), and watching Aggie football :D. Long story short, What am I expecting on the first day of masters? Any advice or tips? Thanks! :)

jgt123
September 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Our Master's swim group accomodates all levels. If you can do 1200m, you'd be fine in our masters group. They usually would do 2000 for the main group (novice-ish) levels, and more for the faster swimmers, but our coach is flexible. I'm a novice and started swimming less than 2 years ago. Whether you are a learner, coming off injury or whatever...as long as youtry your best and don't complain, i'm sure it's all good. If you want, show up for a practice one day and just observe and talk to the coach. some days have a mellower group than others, and that's the days that I choose. good luck! :)

__steve__
September 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
If you can endure a year of O-Chem, then masters workout should be fine

ande
September 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
if your group trains after the Aggie water polo team, watch out for horses & their by products.

Just show up for practice and train.

Find your lane. Beginners tend to over estimate their abilities when they begin.

Play nice, if you're sharing a lane, Learn about lane etiquette.
+ stay on the right side, don't get in the way, if you can't make the intervals move to a slower lane, if you skip a 50 rest on the side out of the pool, when leaving every 5 seconds in a lane wait till you see the 4 before you push off. DOn't push off on the 2 or the 3.
Swim the set at the right pace
If you're leading the lane, pay attention and do the correct # of lengths and leave on the right intervals

Make friends

ASK for Help

Know why you're swimming and or what your goals are.

Have fun

Keep showing up, become a regular.

Consider entering a meet.