PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is the Limit; USA swim is all-powerful

tylerguitar75
September 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
OK, I'm new to this site, but am obsessed with all of the talk about swimming and times and everything. I am 17 and just started my senior year of high school.

It KILLS ME to see so much negativity about people's goals and what they want to do. While some goals are of course more easily achieved than others, I want people to hear my story (thus far) and see if it inspires them, and helps them believe that they can drop time like I have.

I was never a swimmer. I played water polo for the first time ever my freshman year and could barely swim a lap. The next summer I joined the age group team to try and get in better "polo shape." It was pretty tough swimming for the first time ever as a 15 year old. All of my friends on the team were already in the 24-25 range for a 50 free, 54's and lower for the 100 free, and all had pretty awesome b-stroke times. The thing is, nobody on the team could swim breast decently, so their medley relay was never up to par compared to other events. I swam that summer and discovered I had a natural talent for breaststroke, although my swimming was horrible compared to others because I had never done it before.

First summer: 34 in the 50 free, 1:17 in the 100 free, 37 in 50 breast.

After that I joined high school swim, starting as a sophomore. I quickly became the hardest worker on the team, and ended up with the most "practice points" on the team. (Even more than my friend who was already sub 50 in the 100 free and going 57 in 100 back.) I still needed improvement. My ultimate goal was to break 30 in a 50 breast race/split.

Sophomore: 29 in 50 free, 1:08 for 100 free, 34 50 breast, 1:14 100 breast.

I kept pushing myself as hard as possible and I watched a million tutorials, took a lesson every chance I got, talked to every elite swimmer at the HS region meets, etc etc etc... I decided I would push myself to try and break 1:10 in breast, and eventually go 59.99 or faster.

Next summer: 28 50 free, 1:04 100 free, 32 for 50 breast

So far very small improvements. They didn't really come until the end of my junior year.

Junior year: 27 for 50 free, 1:00 for 100 free, 30 second split for breast, and 1:10.25 for 100 breast.

The key for the next part: I JOINED CLUB THE FOLLOWING SUMMER. BOOM.

Summer before senior year (LCM converted times + summer league (I did both)):

50 free = 25.09, 100 free = 57 (could have been better, it was a bad meet), 50 breast split = 29.66 (and a year before I had only just gotten a 28 in free!!!), 100 IM = 1:04.8, 100 breast = 1:07.

This was after only ONE SUMMER OF USA SWIM.

Maybe I'm a freak who picks things up super fast; I don't know. What I do know is I'm trying to push that breaststroke time down as close to a 1:00 as possible. I'm in my third season ever...

I know this post may annoy a lot of people. A lot of people will say "big whoop" or "you made that all up." But I'm dead serious, if you try hard enough, do your thinking outside the pool, and be willing to CHANGE THINGS, anything is possible.

50 free drop so far = almost 10 seconds
100 free drop so far = about 20 seconds
50 breast = 8 seconds
100 breast = about 8 seconds, but I still could use more endurance

Wish me luck for my senior year, or don't, it doesn't matter.

I just wanted to share this and inspire someone. You CAN drop tons of time.

Don't listen to them. Aim high. I sure am.

gobears
September 5th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I don't see a lot of negativity about people's goals on this forum. Not sure where you are seeing this. This is a masters swimming forum (where most of us are decades older than you) and almost everyone here has been encouraging and upbeat for the many years I've been lurking/posting. That said, good luck with your swimming!

ande
September 5th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Welcome!!!
You CAN Swim FASTER FASTER (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=276466#post276466)

pwb
September 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
OK, I'm new to this site, but am obsessed with all of the talk about swimming and times and everything. I am 17 and just started my senior year of high school...
Wish me luck for my senior year, or don't, it doesn't matter. Good luck. Crank it out, drop heaps of time and have fun doing it!

I don't see a lot of negativity about people's goals on this forum. I wholeheartedly agree.

Tyler Guitar, check out Ande's Swimming Faster Faster thread for some great tips that you can apply to go even faster.

ourswimmer
September 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I just wanted to share this and inspire someone. You CAN drop tons of time.

Thanks! At 45 I am waiting impatiently for the next two-year period in my life during which I grow two inches and put on fifteen pounds of muscle mass. The last such growth spurt happened for me between the ages of 14 and 16, and I dropped about 5 seconds in the 100 back; so the next one has got to be just around the corner.

tylerguitar75
September 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I don't see a lot of negativity about people's goals on this forum.

You know what, you're right! I have only just joined this forum, so I don't know too much about it. I really meant in general; people around my age especially doubt that they can drop .1 seconds in anything. It's frustrating to me that the "kids" who have the most potential to get faster don't believe they can. So sorry about that.

Just wanted to share a story! And Ande, I read that guide a while back and shared it with my whole team! It's awesome!