PDA

View Full Version : Whats your weekly yardage and what events?

vo2
September 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I'm going through a patch with work where I'm getting much less water time that I'd like. In point of fact it's the least I have been able to swim the past 25 years. When I'm traveling it's insane and difficult to get meals let alone exercise.

So, this isn't me looking for a reason or justification to swim less, but perhaps a way to get the best performance I can out of my decreased yardage.

Historically I have been around 5 swims and 20K. Now I'm looking at 3 at best, but even with those I cannot just double my yardage to make up for it. These are 'yea baby free hour sprint to pool while I can' many times.

50-100 fly/free
200 free

Thanks all

Glenn
September 10th, 2013, 12:52 PM
With all of the information that is out there, I fail to understand (unless you are a fitness swimmer only) why yardage is important. You are training for 50/100 fly and free and 200 free. Look into USRPT. Ultra short race pace training. Forget yardage. It needs to be quality race pace.

vo2
September 10th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I just read the article on it sounds like a great idea. Would it surprise you that my Masters coach has never uttered a word about this? Certainly no workouts to that effect. I'm the first to admit I'm a 1 on a scale of 100 in swim set knowledge. Wee fledgling.

Anyone have a link to perhaps some workout examples since I will now be swimming almost entirely on my own? Thanks in advance.

Glenn
September 10th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Here is a link to the paper written by Brent Rushall. Most coaches do what they have done forever and do what they learned from those who coached them. Dr. Rushall wants to move the sport in a different direction. Makes sense to me.

This is a long piece. It was much easier for me to print it out and read and highlight it than to read it on-line.

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/energy39.pdf

Glenn
September 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Here are some other articles related to the one I just sent and just came out

.http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/09/weekly-round-up.html

__steve__
September 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Just 6 - 13 K each week, with 6-8 sessions in the water, and work to rest ratio from 1:3 to 2:3 (rest as in stationary inactivity and not recovery or drill swimming, though my aerobic swims may qualify as such to others). Swimming often supplimented with a good amount, and variety of dryland stuff. Target races for me is 50 and, I daresay, 25 fr and strokes.

vo2
September 10th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Just 6 - 13 K each week, with 6-8 sessions in the water, and work to rest ratio from 1:3 to 2:3 (rest as in stationary inactivity and not recovery or drill swimming, though my aerobic swims may qualify as such to others). Swimming often supplimented with a good amount, and variety of dryland stuff. Target races for me is 50 and, I daresay, 25 fr and strokes.

Steve if you'd feel up to sharing any of your workouts in detail I'd be very grateful. Just to look them over and see since I'm so green at planning my own. I really don't like the 200 and have come to love short stuff. If it's up to me it will be 50/100 fly free!

Allen Stark
September 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Here is the thread on USRPT (started by Glenn.) http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?22783-Ultra-Short-Training-At-Race-Pace

pwb
September 10th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I train for the 400 IM and 500 free and, in 2012, the year of my absolute MAXIMUM training since joining masters in 2001/2002, I averaged 17,360 yards per week. On that volume, I also swam decent OW events up to 5K. You don't need volume to swim fast, you need to swim fast to swim fast!

I'd second the recommendation to look at the Rushall work for the time you have and the events. Also, of course, read the High Intensity training workouts by Leslie Livingston on these forums.

As to your coach not knowing about it or mentioning it, it's pretty 'cutting edge' and I'd say that many USA swimming coaches have not heard about it, nor adapted their programs for it. On the USMS side, there are so many swimmers and coaches who are just focused on yardage (and not on race-training) that it's not surprising your coach hasn't mentioned it.