PDA

View Full Version : Problem : Freestyle kick

SpeedoRocks
September 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hi i have a problem with my freestyle kicking. When i use a kickboard to practice kicking, my legs would always sway to the right , so my body is not vertically straight, i will move to the right when i kick, with this i have to position my kickboard to the left to keep in a straight line, it look almost like i am trying to move left. Can anyone please help identify what's my problem? I am now trying to learn bilateral breathing to balance my stroke , as i suspect my stroke is not balanced.
Most probably because i trying out this loping freestyle technique that i always saw olympians using.

PS: Is there a possibility that muscle imbalance could be the issue?

__steve__
September 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Does one ankle have greater range of flexibility than the other? If you kick a 25 one legged for each side, is one quite faster?

mcnair
September 12th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I noticed having this issue with my breast stroke kick when using the board... it was very frustrating at first, and still can be on bad days, but I've been working to correct it with stretching. one of my legs was (still is, really) much tighter than the other, especially in the hip area. If it's not an ankle flexibility problem it might be a hip issue. Try this simple test to see if you have some imbalance there... while sitting down, place your right ankle over your left knee; where does your right knee naturally fall? Now do it with your left ankle over your right knee. Do you have a big difference in range of motion between the right and left hips?

I've been fighting this for a while, my right hip is so much more flexible than my left... and that lack of range of motion on the left side has been tough to correct (I noticed this months ago and it will probably be years before I have this issue completely resolved.