PDA

View Full Version : How good is my record? freestyle, 5025 yards in 1:46 hours.

tornadowang
September 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM
My non-stop freestyle record. See the the details at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/375683871

I feel I am pretty slow, although i can swim a lot.

Timing

Time:
1:46:51

Moving Time:

Elapsed Time:

Avg Pace:
2:07 min/100 yd

Avg Moving Pace:
2:08 min/100 yd

Best Pace:
1:23 min/100 yd

Speed
Pace

Strokes

Avg Strokes:
13 / length

Total Strokes:

knelson
September 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Here's a link to the 2012 One Hour Postal results. The idea of this event is to see how far you can swim in an hour. This should give you an idea of how you rank against other masters swimmers:
http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldnats12/1hrresultsm.pdf

At a pace of 2:07/100 yards you'd swim 2,835 yards in one hour.

GregJS
September 16th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Apart from speed, averaging 13 strokes per length (I assume 25 yd?) for that amount of time seems really good to me.

Midas
September 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Swimming for 1:46 straight is impressive regardless of how far you swim! I would not want to do that. Nice work.

__steve__
September 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM
If you ask me, that stroke per length is very good relatively for the pace and endurance level

swimark
September 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Good job on your endurance, that is a lot of non-stop swimming. I too keep track of time and distance, it helps with motivation. I try to do better with each swim.

Just a FYI on the Garmin Swim watch (I have one as well) - as for the stroke per length, it records a stroke each time the watch completes a full cycle (since it is only worn on one hand). So for freestyle and backstroke it is not recording each hand splash - it records ever other hand splash. However for breaststroke and butterfly it is every hand splash.

GregJS
September 20th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Swimark,

So on free and back, where the Garmin gives a number for "strokes" it really means complete stroke cycles?

How does the watch perform overall? Was thinking about getting one. Does it seem accurate?

swimark
September 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM
Swimark,

So on free and back, where the Garmin gives a number for "strokes" it really means complete stroke cycles?

How does the watch perform overall? Was thinking about getting one. Does it seem accurate?

Yes, basically what Garmin calls a stroke is a complete stroke cycle, both hands completing a pull. But technically once the hand wearing the watch completes a pull it is recorded as a stroke. The watch does not know what the other hand is doing.

Overall I think the watch is pretty accurate counting laps. However you must have good form and glide a bit off each turn. Some lap swimmers had issues where it would not record a lap because they would start doing arm strokes immediately after a turn. Its great for longer swims since apparently I can't count past 200 yards\meters.

As for stroke recognition for me its 98~99% accurate. They had about 3 firmware updates since I got the watch in January. Each update did fix some bugs in either lap counting or stroke recognition.

Since I swim at a pool without a pace clock I can do intervals with the watch. It displays the elapsed time from my last push off and also elapsed resting time since I touched the wall. BUT you must manually hit the start and paused button for each interval. So if you are swimming 10x200 after each 200 hit the pause, then when you are ready to push off, hit the start. Garmin recommends that you do it this way for better accuracy. https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?36801-Question-on-stopping&p=177745#post177745

For an in depth review check out this link - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/06/garmin-swim-watch-in-depth-review.html

GregJS
September 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks swimark - good to know they've tweaked it and made it more accurate since it first went on the market. Might see if Santa can drop one off for me this year.