PDA

View Full Version : MASTERS - Personal best in 30's ???

Slovakia1980
September 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM
My name is Miriama and I am 33 years old, living in UK. As a kid and during my teenage years I was competitive swimmer in Slovakia. Since then I have stopped swimming, but I miss it so much.

Recently I have joined masters swimming club, .....I have been training with them for over two months and I love it, .....I can feel that I am getting stronger and faster each week ( I swim 5 times per week), as my son is back in school now I have time to go to gym (2 times a week) as well as have my swimming sessions.

My question is
- Is it possible with the right training to swim faster now (33 years old) then when I was 17 y.o.?????? My personal best are -

100m freestyle - 1:03
200m freestyle - 2:14
400m freestyle - 4:42
800m freestyle - 9:42 Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,

__steve__
September 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
33 is young, here are the respective LC USMS World times, 30 - 34:
1:58.92
4:17.52
8:46.22

Allen Stark
September 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Oh yes,I was faster in my 30s than in college.

Slovakia1980
September 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM
33 is young, here are the respective LC USMS World times, 30 - 34:
1:58.92
4:17.52
8:46.22

WOW there are great times and but I am wondering are these times swimmer personal best ( whom ever holds them) or just they swim slower now but still very fast ( for me) ???? .... if you know what I mean ;-)

swimark
September 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Dara Torres was still winning medals in the Olympics at age 41 - AND breaking records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Torres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Torres)

Here is a link to the top ten lists... type in your age group and events and see what others are doing. (not sure this years meter records are listed, so try last years date - 2012)
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php

I'm 46 and got back into swimming last year. I too am trying to get beat my old PRs. I still have a ways to go, but making significant gains with every meet.

Slovakia1980
September 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Oh yes,I was faster in my 30s than in college.

Thank you. I feel like I can do it, is just my brain is telling "surely you can not be better then when you were young ! I have trained 17- 20 hours per week at that time, which I am not able to do it now ;-(

knelson
September 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM
The short answer to your question is yes, but it's not easy.

And it's not just people who may not have swum seriously in their youth. For example, Steve West qualified for U.S. Olympic Trials last year. At age 40 who swam faster in the 100 breast than he did at 1992 Trials!

__steve__
September 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM
WOW there are great times and but I am wondering are these times swimmer personal best ( whom ever holds them) or just they swim slower now but still very fast ( for me) ???? .... if you know what I mean ;-)I am 47 and last month swam the fastest 50 LC free I have ever done.

But I started from scratch at 41

Glenn
September 16th, 2013, 07:24 PM
There are a lot more people than you think who have had lifetime best swims or better than college swims not only after 30, but after 40, 50 and even 60!

As Diana Nyad recently said, " Never give up".

Swimspire
September 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hi Miriama, its great to hear that you are back into swimming and loving it! There are a lot of factors that will determine how fast your times can be. With the proper approach to swimming - and the right amount of training - it is certainly possible to come close to your lifetime bests. Even if you don't achieve this specific goal, however, sometimes the journey is more important. You can take pride in being a competitive swimmer again and staying fit and healthy while enjoying the sport at the same time!

I wrote an article on finding the motivation to train and how to approach your training as a comeback swimmer. Here is the link- hope it might be helpful for you! http://www.swimspire.com/the-motivation-to-train/

Good luck and keep in touch!
Julia Galan
www.swimspire.com (http://www.swimspire.com)

Slovakia1980
September 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hi Miriama, its great to hear that you are back into swimming and loving it! There are a lot of factors that will determine how fast your times can be. With the proper approach to swimming - and the right amount of training - it is certainly possible to come close to your lifetime bests. Even if you don't achieve this specific goal, however, sometimes the journey is more important. You can take pride in being a competitive swimmer again and staying fit and healthy while enjoying the sport at the same time!

I wrote an article on finding the motivation to train and how to approach your training as a comeback swimmer. Here is the link- hope it might be helpful for you! http://www.swimspire.com/the-motivation-to-train/

Good luck and keep in touch!
Julia Galan
www.swimspire.com (http://www.swimspire.com)

Thank you so much ! Yes, indeed, you are right - the journey is much more important ....... since I am back in the water I am more positive person, happy and of course fitter and healthier as well. My overall attitude about swimming is so different from when I was 17, I feel like I have got a second chance to do what I love :-) I am first in the water and last one out and even if the session is hard I am still smiling and asking for more. I have my first meet on Saturday (21/09) - I will swim 200m freestyle, I can not wait to see my time. PS : Anyway I have started my little training blog ( as you have also suggested - 3. Keep track of your progress. ) http://slovakia1980.blogspot.co.uk/ ;-)

dolu
September 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
My question is
- Is it possible with the right training to swim faster now (33 years old) then when I was 17 y.o.??????

Yes. I am 40 (break untill 2009) and I am swimming faster than when I was 16-17. Unfortunatelly only 50 and 100 events :applaud:. 200m still not :)

Slovakia1980
September 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Yes. I am 40 (break untill 2009) and I am swimming faster than when I was 16-17. Unfortunatelly only 50 and 100 events :applaud:. 200m still not :)

Wow that is great, well done !!! - so there is a hope for me ;-) I will do my best and enjoy the journey. Are you from Slovakia? which town if I can ask .... I was thinking to do some meets in Slovakia as well ;-)

Midas
September 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
When I was in my mid-30s, I swam a lifetime personal best 100 free (no speed suit). That's not my best event, mind you, but still I swam it enough as a kid that I was very happy with my accomplishment. In my "true" events (100/200 breaststroke) I was about as fast in my 30's as I was at 17. My lifetime personal bests came at 18 and I have yet to match those times as an adult (I got pretty close in the 100 but I was wearing a now-banned speed suit at the time). I just turned 40, and just got back in the pool after a few years out so time will tell whether I can still go as fast as I did 3-4 years ago!

Sojerz
September 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Like you Miriama I pretty much stopped swimming at 19 as life moved on, and only occasionally got back in a pool for a few months over the ensuing years. But at 62 I decided I was getting old too fast and began to swim 4 to 5 times per week mostly solo. I think that I won't reach my 19 yr. old best times, so I've set "interim" goals for along the way and have really enjoyed the journey getting back into shape, swimming in some meets and a little triathloning too. I've always liked the 200 free and it was really fun to swim it again for the first time in over about 40 years. You are going to like that feeling of a triumph over aging!

At 33 you are at a great point in time to get faster. From what I've read you should be able to build and retain muscle mass up into your early 70s, although it gets somewhat harder after the mid 50s. Life may or may not permit you to reach your old times, but enjoying the journey is really the goal IMHO. Eating, training and resting right, will promote endurance in life too, extending well beyond the pool.

Good luck and enjoy.

Slovakia1980
September 17th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you everybody and Well done! I don't know if is only me, but when I swim I feel like I am young again (okay I am not old - feel much younger ;-) I should say .... it feels like I can do anything ... all the stress/problems/worries are gone, yes of course I would love to beat my personal best, but if I can just keep feeling like this and enjoy swimming as much as I do at the moment - then I am already a winner. Have a great day everybody :)

Swimspire
September 17th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Thank you so much ! Yes, indeed, you are right - the journey is much more important ....... since I am back in the water I am more positive person, happy and of course fitter and healthier as well. My overall attitude about swimming is so different from when I was 17, I feel like I have got a second chance to do what I love :-) I am first in the water and last one out and even if the session is hard I am still smiling and asking for more. I have my first meet on Saturday (21/09) - I will swim 200m freestyle, I can not wait to see my time. PS : Anyway I have started my little training blog ( as you have also suggested - 3. Keep track of your progress. ) http://slovakia1980.blogspot.co.uk/ ;-)

That's a great blog! Keeping track of your progress is definitely the way to go. Also, I noticed that you mentioned to another commenter that you were interested in participating in international competitions. I organize an international swim competition that takes place in a different country each year and it is open to swimmers of all ages and levels. So we have swimmers between the ages of 7 - 50 yrs! This year the competition will be in Tallinn, Estonia from 9-10 November and registration is still open. You can check out the website here: http://www.euswim.org

Julia Galan
http://www.swimspire.com

dolu
September 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Wow that is great, well done !!! - so there is a hope for me ;-) I will do my best and enjoy the journey. Are you from Slovakia? which town if I can ask .... I was thinking to do some meets in Slovakia as well ;-)

check out our web page www.swimmasters.eu (http://www.swimmasters.eu) with results, records, calendar etc ;)

Slovakia1980
September 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
check out our web page www.swimmasters.eu (http://www.swimmasters.eu) with results, records, calendar etc ;)

Great website - thank you.

Slovakia1980
September 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Just let you know ......... On Saturday I have swam my first race after 15 years and wow it was great. I did my personal best for 50m breaststroke - 0:39, 57 and also did quite well on 200m freestyle - 2:27, -- (where my 1st 100m was 1:08) ... very pleased , can not wait to do more training ;-) ...

__steve__
September 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM
That rocks Miriama
Congradulations

robertsrobson
September 24th, 2013, 04:33 AM
I also did personal bests for my 50/100 breast in my mid thirties. I stopped training at 18 and, while I occasionally played at it, only trained regularly from 34 on. I do 3 hours a week in the pool, and try to do the same on land. I'm 40 this year and wouldn't rule out doing more - it's not so much a physical challenge, but one of time and lifestyle. I'd love to get close again over 200 breast - probably don't do enough pool time to actually PB again, but hey ho - other things are important.

Swimspire
September 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Just let you know ......... On Saturday I have swam my first race after 15 years and wow it was great. I did my personal best for 50m breaststroke - 0:39, 57 and also did quite well on 200m freestyle - 2:27, -- (where my 1st 100m was 1:08) ... very pleased , can not wait to do more training ;-) ...

Wonderful news, Miriama! Keep up the training and best of luck! Hope to see you in Europe one of these days.

knelson
September 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I found this somewhat interesting:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/09/theoretical-reasons-for-decreased.html

Karl_S
September 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I found this somewhat interesting:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/09/theoretical-reasons-for-decreased.html
Fascinating article. Thanks for posting the link.
I've always suspected that one major contributing factor to declines with age is mean time between injuries/illnesses (MTI). This seems to be the demise of many professional basketball players, for example. Each injury or illness leads to performance loss and if these events are more closely spaced, it becomes harder and harder to come back to form, let alone improve

Michael Heather
October 1st, 2013, 01:07 AM
I couldn't do PB in my best events in my thirties, but did get close. I did do a PB at 38 in the 100 back - 59.1. I had never broken a minute before. I nearly equaled my best 200 fly time at age 40.

Slovakia1980
October 1st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Wonderful news, Miriama! Keep up the training and best of luck! Hope to see you in Europe one of these days.

Thank you. I will be competing soon again in almost 3 weeks time in British Gas ASA National Masters and Senior Age Group Championships in Sheffield (25-27/10) and then I am planning to swim in Slovakia nationals in April next year.

Slovakia1980
October 1st, 2013, 05:48 AM
I couldn't do PB in my best events in my thirties, but did get close. I did do a PB at 38 in the 100 back - 59.1. I had never broken a minute before. I nearly equaled my best 200 fly time at age 40.

Wow that is great, well done.

Slovakia1980
October 1st, 2013, 06:06 AM
I have found my old swimming diary and to my surprised all my records has been swam when I was only 14 years old, although I was swimming until I was 17..... I am not sure if that is a good news or bad......., anyway I am still going to try to improve them ;-) hahhahaha

biestieboy58
October 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'm **55** and I am close to my 18 year old time, but not quite there yet. I did not swim competitively between 18 and 53, although I did swim here and there for exercise, so I never lost the muscle memory. At 18, I did about 28.5 in a 50 meter free (admittedly a midling time, which is why I didn't bother in college). I recently did 26.3 in practice in a 50 yard free, which is about 29.2 in meters. Haven't gotten there in a meet yet, though.

Admittedly, I don't have the muscle tone I did then, but there are other factors that partially offset that:

1) I gave up pot, alcohol, and smoking...I used to sometimes get up for practice hung over and while I wasn't a regular smoker, I would smoke when I went to a bar. Giving all that up certainly helps. Not sure it is an issue for everyone...a little weed didn't seem to hurt Michael Phelps.
2) Strength training...I never lifted a weight back then.
3) Much better knowledge of nutrition for pre and post workout and on race day.
4) I swam for a club team back then...we started practicing on Memorial Day and stopped when the season ended in August. I did NO swimming in the off-season (others did, but I didn't). Now, I swim all year round.
5) I have asthma now which is being treated. I am pretty sure I had it then and it was undiagnosed and therefore untreated.
6) Getting some coaching on technique, some formal, and some just by hunting around on the internet. With the internet, you can find all kinds of tips on bettering your technique and on drills. Back then, unless the coach decided to say something, you were pretty much on your own.

ande
October 3rd, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Miriama
You are 33 years old, you were competitive swimmer in Slovakia
you recently have joined masters swimming club
Your question is
- Is it possible with the right training to swim faster now (33 years old) then when I was 17 y.o.??????
is it possible? absolutely yes without a doubt
easy, NO, possible yes
Good luck & have fun

Slovakia1980
October 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Hi Miriama
You are 33 years old, you were competitive swimmer in Slovakia
you recently have joined masters swimming club
Your question is
is it possible? absolutely yes without a doubt
easy, NO, possible yes
Good luck & have fun

Thank you ande. At the moment I am reading your block "Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster" and I just love it - great tips!! Thank you. .................anyway I have been training so hard and swimming faster every week, but last Wednesday my shoulder/ arm started to hurt, so I have stopped the training immediately and had 3 days off ( okay one day was gym training - stretches, cord ex.), on Sunday it was still very bad so I have swam only for 30 mins. I have tried everything - cold and hot, cream, medications .. nothing is helping :-( .. I am going to see physiotherapist on Thursday, the problem is that on Friday I will be swimming in British National Masters championship, I have entered for 6 swims (50, 100, 200, 400, 800m freestyle and 100 IM) ......my 800m freestyle time is the fastest time in my age category so I was really looking forwards to go and do my best ...... but now I feel like I just want to cry, I don't know if I should still go , will be able to swim, if I do will make it worst.....

Swimspire
October 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Thank you ande. At the moment I am reading your block "Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster" and I just love it - great tips!! Thank you. .................anyway I have been training so hard and swimming faster every week, but last Wednesday my shoulder/ arm started to hurt, so I have stopped the training immediately and had 3 days off ( okay one day was gym training - stretches, cord ex.), on Sunday it was still very bad so I have swam only for 30 mins. I have tried everything - cold and hot, cream, medications .. nothing is helping :-( .. I am going to see physiotherapist on Thursday, the problem is that on Friday I will be swimming in British National Masters championship, I have entered for 6 swims (50, 100, 200, 400, 800m freestyle and 100 IM) ......my 800m freestyle time is the fastest time in my age category so I was really looking forwards to go and do my best ...... but now I feel like I just want to cry, I don't know if I should still go , will be able to swim, if I do will make it worst.....

Hi Miriama, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. This is a high risk when the will and determination to succeed is greater than your physical abilities and your stroke technique.

As I mentioned to Steve in my post on The Breaststroke Lane, "many injuries can arise from either over-training or inconsistent training so its good to take it slow and keep track of what you're doing".

Working with swimmers who have gone through what you are currently experiencing is precisely why I started my online coaching site, to be able to aid swimmers in developing an innovative approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries. As you read in my article, The Motivation to Train, it is very important to take a consistent and steady approach to swimming after having been out of the game for awhile.

For now, in addition to the physiotherapist, I would recommend focusing on kicking and drills that don't involve your injured arm. This way you can keep developing your strength while allowing your shoulder to heal. Your physiotherapist will be able to give you advice as well. Hope that you heal quickly!

Slovakia1980
October 22nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Miriama, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. This is a high risk when the will and determination to succeed is greater than your physical abilities and your stroke technique.

As I mentioned to Steve in my post on The Breaststroke Lane, "many injuries can arise from either over-training or inconsistent training so its good to take it slow and keep track of what you're doing".

Working with swimmers who have gone through what you are currently experiencing is precisely why I started my online coaching site, to be able to aid swimmers in developing an innovative approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries. As you read in my article, The Motivation to Train, it is very important to take a consistent and steady approach to swimming after having been out of the game for awhile.

For now, in addition to the physiotherapist, I would recommend focusing on kicking and drills that don't involve your injured arm. This way you can keep developing your strength while allowing your shoulder to heal. Your physiotherapist will be able to give you advice as well. Hope that you heal quickly!

Thank you so much. I am trying to stay positive, but at the moment I just feel very disappointed ;-( ... I believe it happened because I have been over- training myself, started 4 months ago from doing nothing - doing 5 swims and 2 gym workout per week... so a lot, but I have to say - I was really enjoying it and wasn't going to extremes, every training was fun - hard but fun, tried to have as much rest as possible too,..... also I have lost some weight - I am already slim but lately I was told that I started to look skinny ( which I don't thinks so ;-)..... anyway I have booked myself for Stroke Analysis Session with Video Analysis for next months ... I would like to see my freestyle stroke technique and see what I could improve ;-) ..... I just wish I could just swim this weekend - I feel I deserve to be there!

__steve__
October 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
approach to swimming and an efficient stroke technique that will help avoid injuries. exactly.

Most of my shoulder injuries were from inefficient stroke

Slovakia1980
October 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
What a great weekend. Silver medal for 800m freestyle and two PBs! Wow I am swimming faster in my 30s then when I was 17 y.o. !!!!! There is still lot what I can improve - my start is slow, dolphin kick, streamline and so on and on... By the way this is my video for 50m freestyle - please I would be very grateful for any advice. My PB was 29,50 ( I was 16 y.o.) - now I swam 29,27 ;-) ..lane 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxJURO1LavY

Swimspire
October 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM
What a great weekend. Silver medal for 800m freestyle and two PBs! Wow I am swimming faster in my 30s then when I was 17 y.o. !!!!! There is still lot what I can improve - my start is slow, dolphin kick, streamline and so on and on... By the way this is my video for 50m freestyle - please I would be very grateful for any advice. My PB was 29,50 ( I was 16 y.o.) - now I swam 29,27 ;-) ..lane 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxJURO1LavY

Congratulations, Miriama!! :) Glad you were able to swim so successfully.

robertsrobson
October 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Well done! I forgot to look out for you after the earlier discussion. I did a lifetime best at the weekend, for my 100 breast! I've posted the video in the 'breastroke lane'.

__steve__
October 28th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Miriama,
That was a good display of speed, congratulations! 29.27 is faster than my SCM 50fr up to 1 year ago.

Even with being late in reacting you managed to breakout faster and carry your speed to the wall in 14s. With caffeine for reaction, and flutter kicking endurance for the last 15m, I bet there's several 10th's or more available for your next meet.

Slovakia1980
October 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Well done! I forgot to look out for you after the earlier discussion. I did a lifetime best at the weekend, for my 100 breast! I've posted the video in the 'breastroke lane'.

wow Well done, great swim ! Congratulation!! This was my first big competition after 15 years and I was very nervous, but I am sure it's not my last one !!!! I can not wait for next year... I am ready to do more training now. Hopefully we will meet next time and say hello to each other ;-)

robertsrobson
October 28th, 2013, 12:39 PM
wow Well done, great swim ! Congratulation!! This was my first big competition after 15 years and I was very nervous, but I am sure it's not my last one !!!! I can not wait for next year... I am ready to do more training now. Hopefully we will meet next time and say hello to each other ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. I think that's the best meet of the year. I went down to the long course meet at Luton in April and it was pretty good...

Slovakia1980
October 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Miriama,
That was a good display of speed, congratulations! 29.27 is faster than my SCM 50fr up to 1 year ago.

Even with being late in reacting you managed to breakout faster and carry your speed to the wall in 14s. With caffeine for reaction, and flutter kicking endurance for the last 15m, I bet there's several 10th's or more available for your next meet.

Thank you Steve, it was great weekend, even I swam my PBs I feel I can go faster .... just need more time to train and work on my technique and my start. One more video, you can see my stroke little bit better ;-) - Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtTWgm29m4

robertsrobson
October 28th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Thank you Steve, it was great weekend, even I swam my PBs I feel I can go faster .... just need more time to train and work on my technique and my start. One more video, you can see my stroke little bit better ;-) - Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

That was really solid. You could obviously gain more by using the back board on start! You also lose a little momentum coming out of the turns but your stroke is very solid and you are already pretty quick.

trexleradam
October 28th, 2013, 06:58 PM
That was a really nice swim. Well done!
I think you could drop some time by working on your streamlines and kicking out of the wall. It seems from this angle like you're almost looking up rather than at the bottom of the pool in your streamline, and also that you're coming up very early.

On the subject in general, I'd love to go faster than when I was a teenager, so I've been enjoying this thread. Are you training by yourself?

Eaglesrest
October 29th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Great swim, well done!! Co-incidentally one of my team mates was in that heat and we did get it on video from the other side of the pool. Just checked but unfortunately it doesn't cover your lane.

I can only really spot one flaw on your 50 - the start. I would go with your foot higher on the incline. Your heel should be off the back of the board so the ball of your foot is on the top of the board. Your foot was actually part on the block and part on the incline, so you wont get the most benefit from the start. If you PM me I'll send you a link to a vid of my start, which might help.

Well done on your GBR Rob, DW must love you :) It's not like he hasn't got enough left to console himself with.

On the thread subject matter I had my best ever nationals at 43! After 25 years out of the water I've been lucky to get quicker each year, and did masters PB's in every event. My 50 free was close to a lifetime best at 23.61. Just wished I'd know what I know now, 25 years ago! Training methods really have moved on.....

robertsrobson
October 29th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Well done on your GBR Rob, DW must love you :) It's not like he hasn't got enough left to console himself with.

On the thread subject matter I had my best ever nationals at 43! After 25 years out of the water I've been lucky to get quicker each year, and did masters PB's in every event. My 50 free was close to a lifetime best at 23.61. Just wished I'd know what I know now, 25 years ago! Training methods really have moved on.....

Totally agree, I don't train a lot, but what I do is so different to what I did back in the day. By the way, who's DW?

Eaglesrest
October 29th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Totally agree, I don't train a lot, but what I do is so different to what I did back in the day. By the way, who's DW?
The guy who's British Record you beat - an exceptional swimmer, so well done again.

Slovakia1980
October 29th, 2013, 06:28 AM
That was a really nice swim. Well done!
I think you could drop some time by working on your streamlines and kicking out of the wall. It seems from this angle like you're almost looking up rather than at the bottom of the pool in your streamline, and also that you're coming up very early.

On the subject in general, I'd love to go faster than when I was a teenager, so I've been enjoying this thread. Are you training by yourself?

Thank you so much for your feedback. I agree - my streamline from the start and after turns is very poor, also I am not very good with dolphin kick and that is why you don't see any ;-) , I only started to learn how to do it properly and slowly started to use it during my training ..... I didn't want to do something new in race if I haven't mastered it yet. I am very lucky I am training with fantastic people - different age groups but all of them very serious about swimming, my coach is great too - we have already been working on my technique, I used to look up all the time during my freestyle, so I have been swimming with snorkel during every training and I think I am getting better but as you said I am still looking up.

Slovakia1980
October 29th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I have made some changes to my videos - hope they will look more professional ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMDYC0HaLw[/URL], http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGt_OkWS2Q, [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq394nswHBg Again any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Slovakia1980
October 29th, 2013, 06:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMDYC0HaLw

Slovakia1980
October 29th, 2013, 06:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGt_OkWS2Q

__steve__
October 30th, 2013, 04:39 PM
You are fast and have solid form. Once you develop the flexibility to decrease frontal drag with stremlining, the times will further drop. That just takes stretching and discipline.

I noticed just before the breakout there, you had bent elbows, practice locking them behind head (though I wish I could do that - lol:)). Keep them locked and tight from when you enter the water from the start, all the way to the end of rotation on first stroke.

As mentioned earlier, though it's hard to tell, you may be looking forward. But it might also just look like your looking forward due to the swim cap. You would know, are you looking at the floor of pool, or in your direction of travel?

Learning to get off the blocks faster is easy - velocity jumps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics). Must be done cautiously however. I was introduced to plyos a year ago and (with mild exaggeration) I'm like a tree frog of the blocks.

trexleradam
October 31st, 2013, 02:17 AM
I think, in terms of the start, that pulling back to slingshot forward is now discouraged--better to be loose but ready to go, as otherwise it's hard to get off the blocks fast. Ymmv

robertsrobson
November 4th, 2013, 03:42 AM
DW - Oh, yes! I was being a bit slow...

orca1946
November 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Glad you "dove" back into swimming. Yes, many of are faster than we used to be!!