PDA

View Full Version : Masters Swimming is a Journey

Rob Butcher
September 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
We are proud to share our new Masters Swimming is a Journey video narrated by Olympian and Masters Swimmer Rowdy Gaines. Feel free to share on your personal websites, club websites and send to others. We hope to encourage other adults to swim! The link is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZJNvhjC-g

... Rob

jackback
September 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
at the 1:35 mark the guy on the left is a spittin image of Buster Crabbe ... whom i met at an age group meet in central ny in the mid 70's, of all places ... wonderful person

Allen Stark
September 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
at the 1:35 mark the guy on the left is a spittin image of Buster Crabbe ... whom i met at an age group meet in central ny in the mid 70's, of all places ... wonderful person

I'm pretty sure that is Crabbe along with Ransom Arthur.I am not sure who the man in the center is.

jackback
September 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Since it appears that Flash Gordon's appearance has been confirmed I'll finish my memory of that meet. Buster, in the 55+ year old age group, swam the 500 and as I recall he beat everyone down to the 18 - 24 year old group. He then held court in the locker room, telling stories (including him trying to get Johnny W back into swimming) and answering question, I was just enthralled. He was great, I still have his autograph and the memory of that chance meeting. A once in a life time moment.

Frank Thompson
September 16th, 2013, 08:45 PM
The man in the center is Bob Beach. This same picture was on page 1 in the July-August 2013 Swimmer magazine issue. The feature story starts on page 14 called "Life's A Beach". Its a very interesting story about one of the longest continuous USMS members.

knelson
September 17th, 2013, 10:31 AM
The man in the center is Bob Beach.

Great swimming name. Right up there with Fish! :)

Sojerz
September 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Great swimming name. Right up there with Fish! :)

And you have nothing to say about "Buster Crabbe," Kirk?

Maui Mike
September 18th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that is Crabbe along with Ransom Arthur.I am not sure who the man in the center is.

Ransom Arthur was in the US Navy when he used to work out on a very regular basis with our college team at San Diego State in the mid 60's. We thought of him as soooooo much older but still a good swimmer, even though he was the only person in the pool wearing goggles. Looking at that picture now, he looks like a kid!

My contact with Buster Crabbe was very different. I scattered his ashes from an outrigger canoe in the waters off Kihei Maui. Didn't know who it was until after we came back to shore, there was no ceremony at all, but I've always considered it an honor and highlight of my paddling career.

ande
September 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
cool video, consider putting up the same video showing Rowdy's text and another naming each individual

We are proud to share our new Masters Swimming is a Journey video narrated by Olympian and Masters Swimmer Rowdy Gaines. Feel free to share on your personal websites, club websites and send to others. We hope to encourage other adults to swim! The link is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZJNvhjC-g
... Rob

knelson
September 18th, 2013, 01:07 PM
And you have nothing to say about "Buster Crabbe," Kirk?

Yeah. Good point!