PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with Broken Finger?

mpinsky
September 28th, 2013, 04:56 PM
So I took a week off last week to prep me for an open water competition of 1500m that was supposed to be today and then this Monday I crashed on the bicycle, earning me some nasty road rash and a hairline fracture through the lowest knuckle of my little finger (which put my competition plans to a screeching halt). Fast forward to today and my road rash is almost all but gone, but I still can't move my pinky and the two fingers next to that due to residual bruising and swelling. I'm clear to use the stationary bicycle trainers since I'm not using gears and breaks, but...is it too soon to go back into swimming? I'm more than willing just to splint and tape those three fingers together, maybe put on the paddles, but will I be pushing it if I tried getting back in the pool or is it worth giving it a shot? I've been out a total of two weeks now and it's going to feel like swimming through hummus after coming back in after that long (and maybe even longer). :(

Any experience from the members here?

kmoehumphreys
September 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I suggest taping your broken finger to the one next two it and wearing paddles. Keep the pressure on the fingers on other side of your hand and also more towards your wrist. Pinkies aren't so necessary for freestyle; backstroke and breaststroke would cause you more trouble.