PDA

View Full Version : New, Fun Membership Options for 2014

ALM
November 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Registration has opened for the 2014 membership year. This year there are two new membership options.

Recognized Masters Coach Add-on (Optional; $30.00)

Regardless of whether or not you choose to become a certified Masters coach, you can become a recognized Masters coach (http://www.usms.org/coach/content/becomeacoach) by choosing this option during registration or updating membership at any time during the registration year. The fee is $30 and includes these benefits:

Credibility and identity as a Masters coach
Special sponsor discounts
Discounts on continuing education, including $10 off each level of certification
Acknowledgement on usms.org (View a list (http://www.usms.org/coach/recognized/) of current recognized coaches)
STREAMLINES for Coaches monthly e-newsletter
Eligibility for hospitality at Spring and Summer Nationals, select volunteer opportunities, and special coaching assignments at the FINA World Championship
Teaching opportunities in the Masters track at the ASCA World clinic

For questions about all Masters coach educational programs and certification (http://www.usms.org/content/coachcert), contact Bill Brenner (http://www.usms.org/admin/natoffice.php?mid=04X7C), Club and Coach Services Director.

Vanity Permanent ID (Optional; $50.00)

Your permanent ID is a 5-character string that uniquely identifies you as a USMS member. It's included as the last 5 characters of your annual registration number, such as 1234-9X4C3.

For a one-time fee of $50, you can choose your own permanent ID. (Think of it like a personalized license plate.) Choose an ID that reflects your association with your swim team, a major sports team, your school, your name, your hobby or pets, your favorite swimming event, or use your creative skills to come up with something else fun, personal, or whimsical. From then on, you will always be identified on your membership card via your chosen ID.

The rules are simple. Choose any 5-character string that includes only letters or numbers and does not include the letters I, L, O or Q (you may use the numerals 1 or 0 instead).

Example Vanity IDs
A regular auto-assigned registration number:
1234-12345

A custom ID for a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan:
1234-HUSKR

A vanity ID for breaststroke:
1234-200BR

A vanity ID honoring your favorite dog breed:
1234-B0XER (note -uses numeral 0 instead of letter O)

ALM
November 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
IDs that have already been snagged include:

PEACE
MERMD
SPRNT
0CEAN
WATER
RDS0X
W0WSA
TEXAS
1500F
VETTE

jonblank
November 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM
SW1MS is gone, but SW1MR is available, at least as of today...

ekw
November 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM
IDs that have already been snagged include:
RDS0X

:banana: :bliss::applaud:
I wish I'd thought of it.

Glenn
November 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM
:banana: :bliss::applaud:
I wish I'd thought of it.

Do REDSX instead...

ALM
November 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Do REDSX instead...

Hmm. That could have a different meaning, couldn't it? :)

Glenn
November 4th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Hmm. That could have a different meaning, couldn't it? :)

Well, yes, it could also mean that baseball from Boston!!

Glenn
November 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
baseball team...

matysekj
November 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM
S0XXX

Glenn
November 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM
BOSOX

osterber
November 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Will there be a list kept and/or published for old and new permanent ID numbers for people who have changed their ID numbers? For example, anyone who is maintaining any sort of top times or records outside of the USMS national office will be tracking two different people who are named Tracy Grilli, with the same birthdate, but are different people in USMS because they have different ID numbers.

-Rick

rxleakem
November 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
BOSOX

BEARD

ekw
November 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM
BEARD

Already crossed my mind, along with ORTIZ :bow: or PEDEY. Too bad KOJI isn't long enough.

(Someone may be going through severe baseball withdrawal...)

knelson
November 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Dibs on DROWN.

matysekj
November 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Will there be a list kept and/or published for old and new permanent ID numbers for people who have changed their ID numbers? For example, anyone who is maintaining any sort of top times or records outside of the USMS national office will be tracking two different people who are named Tracy Grilli, with the same birthdate, but are different people in USMS because they have different ID numbers.

Hi Rick,

Yes, we run a merge operation after creating the new vanity ID to move all references we have to the "old" member to the "new" member (the one with the vanity ID). The "old" master member record is then updated to refer to the "new" member. All of this is kept consistent within our database and registration tools, but no, there is no public listing of these merges. Note that this is not a unique situation for vanity ID's. We've run about 2,000 merges over the past year for people who we have discovered have registered as a new member instead of re-registering over the years. So you could run into this situation with any off-line databases you may have even if we had not implemented the new vanity ID option.

We can talk offline about possible ways to allow you to get this info, as this is too technical for this thread.

When will the first breaststroke hater get BRSUX as an ID?

mmlr38
November 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
@matysekj, it would be great if the "old" master ID redirected to the "new" vanity ID.

For example:
http://www.usms.org/people/07EEF
Should now redirect to:
http://www.usms.org/people/1500F

Should be doable with .htaccess rewrites or a PHP script to redirect if a "new" vanity ID has been implemented for a swimmer. (Sorry if this is too technical for the thread...)

smontanaro
November 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Yes, we run a merge operation ...

Still going to be a pain for those of us with databases containing permanent ids...

matysekj
November 5th, 2013, 01:59 PM
@matysekj, it would be great if the "old" master ID redirected to the "new" vanity ID.

For example:
http://www.usms.org/people/07EEF
Should now redirect to:
http://www.usms.org/people/1500F

Should be doable with .htaccess rewrites or a PHP script to redirect if a "new" vanity ID has been implemented for a swimmer. (Sorry if this is too technical for the thread...)

Done. I had thought of that recently, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. You reminded me - thanks!

Still going to be a pain for those of us with databases containing permanent ids...

No doubt, but as I said this is nothing new. There have been thousands of merges done already in the absence of this new vanity ID option.

mmlr38
November 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Done. I had thought of that recently, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. You reminded me - thanks!
Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

jaadams1
November 5th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Since the "L" isn't an option, FLYER was my #1 pick, and I didn't want to do "F1YER" 'cause it doesn't look right, so I did:
Permanent ID: JAMES

I know, very original. I could've done my last name as well since it's also 5 letters

smontanaro
November 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM

No doubt, but as I said this is nothing new. There have been thousands of merges done already in the absence of this new vanity ID option.

I guess I don't understand the concept of "permanent" id then. What other causes have there been in the past for these merges of which you speak? I've been a USMS member for nine or ten years. I don't think my permanent id has ever changed, has it?

ElaineK
November 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I passed on the permanent ID option when I renewed; however, I do have this as my license plate:
8066 :bliss:

matysekj
November 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I guess I don't understand the concept of "permanent" id then. What other causes have there been in the past for these merges of which you speak? I've been a USMS member for nine or ten years. I don't think my permanent id has ever changed, has it?

We have always wanted it to be permanent. Yours hasn't changed because you have done things correctly when you register. Unfortunately, in the real world some people do things that undermine this. We get tons of cases where someone registers a duplicate swimmer. There are a number of ways they do this:

- If they've been married or divorced and have a new name or have legally changed their name, they don't use their old name in the re-registration screen and are therefore not found. Then they proceed to register as a new person.

- If they have an old registration in the system from the purely paper days of registration, their LMSC Registrar may have entered their name or birth date or gender incorrectly in the past. This can still happen today if a new member makes a typo on their initial registration and doesn't notice it. Then when they come back in successive years, they can't be found under their correct information, so they register a new person.

- Some people just go down the route of registering as a new member and ignore the warnings that come up asking if they are really someone who was registered in the past, and end up as a new member.

- In addition, we've had people see the warnings saying "are you one of these people", with the name and city/state of their old registration, and since they have moved since then, they click "no" and register as a new person.

There are more ways, but the bottom line is that duplicates happen. With our new system, we have tried to make it less likely for people to create duplicates by presenting the potential duplicate info differently and also absolutely not letting someone register as a new person with the exact same info as an existing member. But we still have to deal with duplicates to some degree. Our current policy is that since someone who just registered a duplicate member potentially has a member card in their posession for this year, we always merge the old information into the new member ID. While that will definitely make it more difficult for those who maintain external databases, it is the best approach because we can't always get in touch with people to get them to destroy any cards they may have for this year and get a new one.

Membership has advanced quite a bit over the past few years. In the past, no one EVER looked for problems like this in our data, so there were a ton of them in the database. Now we are more on top of this and have automated alerts sent to key people, pushing them to look into any situation that vaguely resembles a potential duplicate. All of these potentials are investigated, but few alerts are found to be actual duplicates. For instance, if Susie Smith with a birth date of 1/1/1971 registers and we find a Susie Jones in the database with the same birth date, an alert is generated. Someone needs to compare the rest of the data (club, LMSC, email address, address, etc.) to try to figure out if this really might be a duplicate or not, and then contact the member if they think it may be a duplicate.

ALM
November 5th, 2013, 10:35 PM
More creative IDs that have been snagged:

4001M
C0ACH
DUCKY
GAT0R
RDBMW
UMASS
W1CKD

Rob Copeland
November 6th, 2013, 08:48 AM
More creative IDs that have been snagged:What about JHAWK?
And how about a list of the less creative ID's, besides JAMES?:D
Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’m just jealous of all you 5 letter name swimmers.

ekw
November 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
While I didn't end up going with a vanity ID, I do want to give Jayhawk a shout out for finding the cause of my club's non-renewal (typo in the club contact's email) and then making it so that I could renew the club - all after business hours yesterday and in response to a Facebook post! Thanks so much! :applaud:

pwb
November 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM
More creative IDs that have been snagged:

4001MOh yeah ... the new ultra distance event, the 4001 Medley - 1,000 of each stroke, then hop out of the water and run a yard to the touchpad. Just my kind of event ;)

jaadams1
November 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM
What about JHAWK?
And how about a list of the less creative ID's, besides JAMES?:D
Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’m just jealous of all you 5 letter name swimmers.

:(

I was just upset that the L wasn't available for FLYER. Why is it that a few of the alphabet letters are not available for use?

peter.deweese
November 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I got PETER. Awesome.

arthur
November 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
:(

I was just upset that the L wasn't available for FLYER. Why is it that a few of the alphabet letters are not available for use?
It seems like they removed the 4 letters that could most easily be mistaken for numbers, especially on hand written entry forms.

Rob Copeland
November 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It seems like they removed the 4 letters that could most easily be mistaken for numbers, especially on hand written entry forms.BINGO or should that be B1NG0
The other easily mistaken one is 5 and S. Maybe Iíll go for 5S55S.

ALM
November 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM
BINGO or should that be B1NG0
The other easily mistaken one is 5 and S. Maybe Iíll go for 5S55S.

More easily mistaken combos:
8 and B
2 and Z

ALM
November 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Iím just jealous of all you 5 letter name swimmers.

You don't have to have a 5-letter name. Here are some options for you:

RC0PE
0R0BC
R0BCP
C0PE1
PPREZ

matysekj
November 7th, 2013, 11:13 AM

RC0PE
0R0BC
R0BCP
C0PE1
PPREZ

0SAMA? (those who attended the 2001 convention will understand)
I couldn't fit your alter ego last name into 5 characters.

Rob Copeland
November 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM
0SAMA? (those who attended the 2001 convention will understand)
I couldn't fit your alter ego last name into 5 characters.It was SALAMI, but I may try to get the redacted XXXXX ID.

mjtyson
November 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Re: sponsor discounts, anyone have a list? Is it the same list they give coaches at the completion of Level 1 & 2 training? I'm trying to do a cost benefit analysis of the extra $30 a year. ;)

ALM
November 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Just renewed.

ALM
November 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Discounts good for members until January 15, 2014:
Aqua Sphere - 20% off entire order
blueseventy - 25% off orders $50 or more
Colorado Time Systems – 10% off all training products
Finis - 25% off entire order
Hammer Nutrition – 10% off total purchase
Nike – 20% off entire order
P2Life – 25% off entire order
Speedo - 20% off entire order
TRISWIM - 40% off all TRISWIM, FOGGLE and TRISLIDE products
Swimoutlet.com – 10% off USMS products & Sporti products
X-1 Audio - 25% off entire order

Another benefit for members is a 25% discount off a subscription to SwimmingWorld magazine:
http://swimshop.swimmingworldmagazine.com/p/1276

I may have misunderstood your question. What I posted above are the member discounts for all USMS members who register between now and December 31.

Someone in the office (who shall remain nameless) just pointed out to me that you were probably referring to discounts for coaches who purchase the coach recognition option. I am not sure about those yet; send an email to Bill Brenner and he should be able to tell you.

mjtyson
November 8th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Yep! I'll email Bill. I was talking about the coach's recognition thing.

jroddin
November 14th, 2013, 11:41 AM

RC0PE
0R0BC
R0BCP
C0PE1
PPREZ

ECHNL

HUSKR
December 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Where do you go to sign up for a vanity ID? Does it give you the option when you renew?

flystorms
December 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah, there's an option on the form when you renew.

HUSKR
December 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Had to go with HUSKR, thanks for the idea. GO BIG RED!!!

HUSKR
December 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Almost went with "RDWNG" though, tough choice but I'm from Nebraska so that won out.

Midas
December 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
I went with "M1DAS" of course...

rxleakem
December 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I thought a bit on this neat option. JCSVS, MERCY, GRACE, 4G1VN. Even LEAKE or RXLKM.

I decided on SAVED.
:angel:

ande
January 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
went with
AndeR
& my person page even already updated

http://www.usms.org/people/ANDER

pwb
January 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
went with
AndeR
& my person page even already updated

http://www.usms.org/people/ANDER
http://www.usms.org/people/4001M

knelson
January 2nd, 2014, 05:50 PM
http://www.usms.org/people/4001M

It's just one meter more than 4,000 meters, correct? :)

no200fly
January 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
I couldn't think of one I really liked so I gave money to the foundation instead.

That Guy
January 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I selected a vanity ID which happens to be identical to my previous random ID.

ElaineK
January 5th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I selected a vanity ID which happens to be identical to my previous random ID.

That Guy, you're back! :D Great to have you back on the Forums, buddy! Happy new year!