PDA

View Full Version : Pull Buoy

Gotinthegamelate
November 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I have found my crutch with the Buoy, and now I can't swim without it. Any suggestion on how to get rid of it?

__steve__
November 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Remove it from your bag and use fins

-marina-
November 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hi Gotinthegamelate,

That seems to be a good idea from _steve_. This happened to a lady in my pool last month. I think it happens to a lot of people. Laughing, she even asked me to ask the lifeguards to lock the store-room so she could not get one of the pool's pullbuoys out, LoL. She tried going coldturkey, which never worked for her. She did not try _steve_'s fins idea. In the end, determined but suffering, she eased herself off over two weeks by doing less and less sets with the pullbuoy. I think she is two weeks free now.

Never give up! And good luck to you.

knelson
November 21st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Using fins instead is just replacing one crutch for another. If you want to break the habit just don't use one, ever. Cold turkey is the way to go!

__steve__
November 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Cold turkey can hurt though

Glenn
November 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
I have found my crutch with the Buoy, and now I can't swim without it. Any suggestion on how to get rid of it?

What age group are you in? If it's the same as mine, continue using the pull bouy! If not, throw it in the trash.

lv2swim
November 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
If they are addicted to their buoy don't even go there with fins! I needed a good laugh today and this thread did it for me! Thanks!

ElaineK
November 21st, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cold turkey can hurt though

For a pull buoy? Nah, piece of cake! For fins? Nahhhh, no problem at all! For CHOCOLATE? :afraid::cry:

Allen Stark
November 21st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Swim breaststroke.

GregJS
November 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM
I'm assuming the hard-to-give-up part is the free "high hips" and nice, low-drag feeling the pull buoy provides?

If so, playing around with other ways to get your hips up might be the answer. Total Immersion talks about keeping the extended arm extended just a bit longer than you otherwise might ("front quadrant swimming"), pressing your chest down just a bit so you pivot a bit over your center of balance (like a see-saw), and making sure to not raise your head (which makes the see-saw go the wrong way). There are probably lots of other hip-raising tips out there.

Going cold turkey will be tough if you get that sinky-draggy climbing uphill feeling without the buoy.

Glenn
November 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM
Swim breaststroke.

Great answer Allen! LOL

Gotinthegamelate
November 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM
My age group is 55-59, I have been swimming Masters for 18 months. Tonight was "Cold Turkey" for half the yardage. I survived! Thanks for your help.

Gotinthegamelate
November 22nd, 2013, 12:09 AM
Thank You.

ElaineK
November 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Swim breaststroke.

:applaud: :cheerleader:

Swimspire
November 24th, 2013, 01:25 PM
My age group is 55-59, I have been swimming Masters for 18 months. Tonight was "Cold Turkey" for half the yardage. I survived! Thanks for your help.

Hi, I think your approach is a great start. You can also try to alternate sets - one with pull buoy, one without. Another tip would be to keep track of your yardage - with buoy and without - so that you can see your gradual progress towards swimming without the pull buoy. Good luck!

gull
November 24th, 2013, 02:09 PM
If you haven't done so already, try developing a six beat kick which should help with body position.

I liked this set when I was overcoming my own pull buoy addiction several years ago--

9 x 200 as 1 pull/1 swim/1 pull/2 swim/1 pull/3 swim.

rtodd
November 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
How's your head position? Swim with fists. Swim front quadrant.