PDA

View Full Version : Masters Metres/Yards Memory 2014

Trondi
December 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hi All

I thought I would share an Excel spreadsheet that I have been using for the last few years to increase my motivation to getting out of my chair and off down to the pool.

A couple of coaches I know have shared it with some success with their crews and they find much improved attendance!! and therefore improvements in competitions too.

I have it working easily on my PCs with Dropbox and also on iPads and iPhones using a Dropbox/CloudOn combination. (let me know if you need a hand)

Give it a go - just enter your distance swum each day and be prepared to be amazed!

Tip: if you swim yards and metres (sorry I'm from the UK :)) then stick to one or the other when entering onto the spreadsheet if you are not to get confused.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23297159/Masters%20Metres%20Memory%202014%20us.xlsx

Please let me know if you meet a problem as this is an early version!!

Best of luck with all your swimming challenges in 2014 and let me know how you get on with the spreadsheet too :)

T

pwb
December 30th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Way cool. I've got a much more basic spreadsheet that I've iterated on since 2001, but it has nowhere near the pizzazz and color-wonder of yours.

Trondi
December 31st, 2013, 02:12 AM
Way cool. I've got a much more basic spreadsheet that I've iterated on since 2001, but it has nowhere near the pizzazz and color-wonder of yours.

LOL - thanks pwb - I just love colours :) its probably 'the teacher' influence coming out in me! I retire from teaching TODAY!!!! Phew!!

T

TRYM_Swimmer
December 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Nice spreadsheet! I will share it with my colleague who teaches Excel. It should be a nice example for her students. Congrats on your retirement! I will be joining you in a year or two, whenever I get tired of the administrative "stuff" that goes with teaching. I will never get tired of teaching, whether it be swimming, dancing, or computer programming.

smontanaro
December 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM
I downloaded it and tried to load it into LibreOffice. I went off to get a cup of coffee. Still loading a few minutes later... :anim_coffee:

Trondi
December 31st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry smontanaro I dont know of Libreoffice - I do know that Dropbox/CloudOn works with all my appley gadgets if you dont have access to Excel.

T

orca1946
December 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
I just use the "FLOG" on the USMS website t olog all my swim & gyms. Thanks for the other way to do this.

ElaineK
December 31st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Very nice, Trondi! :applaud: You did an awesome job on it! I think I will just stick with my FLOG habit. Hmmm, 454 miles in 2012, 434 miles in 2013. Perhaps I should shoot to end the year with 444 miles in 2014! However it ends up, I'm setting 425 as my goal again.

Trondi
January 1st, 2014, 08:16 AM
Very nice, Trondi! :applaud: You did an awesome job on it! I think I will just stick with my FLOG habit. Hmmm, 454 miles in 2012, 434 miles in 2013. Perhaps I should shoot to end the year with 444 miles in 2014! However it ends up, I'm setting 425 as my goal again.

Thanks Elaine!

Whatever system you use it is definitely Day 1 for the new years targets!! 400miles works out at very close to 600 000 m for anyone wanting to go metric with the link below!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23297159/Masters%20Metres%20Memory%202014%20us.xlsx

If you are thinking of using this spreadsheet it is well worth downloading a new version TODAY, as a few extra thingies added and 2 very minor bugs squashed - thanks to some helpful feedback!

The spreadsheet should fire up on all cylinders today as it is Day 1 all day!! Do take a look and put in some fictitious yardage to see what happens.

Happy New Year!

T

ekw
January 2nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Wow, this is very fancy! I too have a basic spreadsheet I've been using but this is great - plus I learn best when I reverse engineer things so this may improve my Excel-fu at work.

smontanaro
January 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Sorry smontanaro I dont know of Libreoffice - I do know that Dropbox/CloudOn works with all my appley gadgets if you dont have access to Excel.

I got the same problem with LibreOffice (an open source MS Office sort-of-clone) on my Linux machine at work. I was able to upload it to Google Drive though and open it with Google Docs. The two charts overlay columns I, J, K, so I'm going to delete them.

Thanks for the effort!

smontanaro
January 2nd, 2014, 09:24 PM
I got the same problem with LibreOffice (an open source MS Office sort-of-clone) on my Linux machine at work. I was able to upload it to Google Drive though and open it with Google Docs. The two charts overlay columns I, J, K, so I'm going to delete them.

Thanks for the effort!

Update. Turns out on both my Linux and Mac systems were running old versions of LibreOffice. I couldn't install a newer version on my Linux system (longish story), but installed the latest version on my Mac. Bingo!

Trondi
January 3rd, 2014, 05:22 AM
Well done smontanaro - could be very helpful for others trying with LibreOffice too.

Go for it EKW : all I ask is that if anyone improves it they post the improvements and I can include them next year (or sooner maybe!).

T

Trondi
January 6th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Anyone using OpenOffice? Does it have a problem with the spreadsheet as I have a friend struggling to open the file at the moment.

thanks

T

smontanaro
January 6th, 2014, 09:32 AM
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. The latest version opens it just fine. Earlier versions do not, so I'm not surprised that OO doesn't open it. If your friend has the option, have him/her try LO.

Trondi
January 7th, 2014, 05:15 AM
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. The latest version opens it just fine. Earlier versions do not, so I'm not surprised that OO doesn't open it. If your friend has the option, have him/her try LO.

I will pass that advice on - thanks

T

debaru
January 7th, 2014, 10:30 PM
:thewave: Totally awesome spreadsheet!!! Thanks for making this available. I have been using the USMS FLOG for years, and have another app I use on my smartphone and tablet that allows me to view my progress with graphs, but this is so much cooler!

Trondi
January 11th, 2014, 06:36 AM
:thewave: Totally awesome spreadsheet!!! Thanks for making this available. I have been using the USMS FLOG for years, and have another app I use on my smartphone and tablet that allows me to view my progress with graphs, but this is so much cooler!

debaru - glad you are enjoying it!!

even after 4 years of using it I still get a buzz from the colours. I must still be a big kid at heart! :D

Good luck with your challenges this year too!

T

Trondi
December 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hows everyone getting on with their targets this year?

I have had to trim mine in August due to illness. But hope to get 600000metres!

BTW the new version for Masters Meters/Memory 2015 will be out soon. I have renamed it Metres and Miles 2015 as yards, metres, miles can all be entered and it sorts the conversions out for you. This was prompted by many open water addicts needing miles and friends from Sarasota needing yards :)

Debugger
December 11th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I also plan to do 600,000m. At the moment 49000m left to complete till the end of the year which I think is quite doable if nothing extraordinary happens.

I prefer to use my own solution for tracking mileage and workouts. Google sites and documents provide a good platform for that and work fine for that already for 5 years. From time to time I perform backup to local workstation. This solution is free and takes very little time to construct and maintain.
I don't trust solutions which do not provide data backup to my local workstation because from my long experience in IT I know that servers stop working, sites become unavailable, companies become bankrupt and stop to operate, etc.

Trondi
December 14th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I also plan to do 600,000m. At the moment 49000m left to complete till the end of the year which I think is quite doable if nothing extraordinary happens.

I prefer to use my own solution for tracking mileage and workouts. Google sites and documents provide a good platform for that and work fine for that already for 5 years. From time to time I perform backup to local workstation. This solution is free and takes very little time to construct and maintain.
I don't trust solutions which do not provide data backup to my local workstation because from my long experience in IT I know that servers stop working, sites become unavailable, companies become bankrupt and stop to operate, etc.

I agree Debugger, it's really important to have 'local' access to your data in case of problems such as those you list above.

I am homing in on my target too. Just pool closures over Xmas and New Year to foil my plans (alright a bit of festive excesses might be a problem too!)

http://metresandmiles.com Will let you follow my run in to the end of the year with my new design spreadsheet for next year!

Debugger
December 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Sorry Trondi, I just realized that was confused in meters/miles units. I was thinking of 600 miles but I just realized that that's unreachable for me this year. Currently I'm at 534 miles (860,000 meters) and it looks like the spirit of coming holidays starts to take over :D

Trondi
December 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Sorry Trondi, I just realized that was confused in meters/miles units. I was thinking of 600 miles but I just realized that that's unreachable for me this year. Currently I'm at 534 miles (860,000 meters) and it looks like the spirit of coming holidays starts to take over :D

LOL Yes it is strange how that spirit makes its annual appearance!

Also my local pool closes for a few days which will upset my progress a bit - unless I go for a dip in the local lake..........