PDA

View Full Version : Jan-Feb. Swimmer magazine

mpmartin
January 8th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Has anyone received the Jan -Feb 2014 issue of Swimmer magazine? I see it listed on this site but I haven't received it, and it's not available to read online yet.

debaru
January 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm thinking there may be a delay so that the Spring Nationals information can be included.

ekw
January 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I got mine today.

pmccoy
January 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I got mine yesterday. Haven't read it yet but it comes with a "special sticker".

flystorms
January 9th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Yep, mine was in the mail today. Patience, grasshopper!

poolraat
January 10th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Still waiting for mine.

orca1946
January 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Lots of cold & snow & rain in chicagoland to delay it.

no200fly
January 10th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I got mine yesterday, complete with a USMS bumper sticker and an article by Jim Thornton!

orca1946
January 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Spoiler alert !!!! Don't tell me any thing that would ruin the surprise!!

swimshark
January 11th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Got mine today and loved the new writers. Even my non-swimmer husband laughed at Mike Gustafson's article.

rxleakem
January 11th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Delivered to VT today. Now, where to place that sticker...

wnt2bfst
January 11th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I am definitely able to relate to being a retired swimmer!

aztimm
January 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I think my copy arrived last Wed or Thurs. We don't always check the mail every day.

Does anyone still read this magazine? Mine usually sits on the counter, then moves to the magazine pile on the coffee table, then eventually makes its way to the recycle bin. If I'm traveling, I'll sometimes take it with me. I truthfully can't remember the last time I've actually opened one up and read it. Nothing against this magazine, but I generally don't read any magazines, unless they are in an electronic format and on my Kindle.

ElaineK
January 12th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Does anyone still read this magazine?

Heck yeah! :banana: My other magazines sit in a pile and often don't get read until I take them on a trip; however, I always read Swimmer Magazine ASAP! :ohyeah:

rxleakem
January 12th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure how convenient access is on your device, but the online version is linked to your account at http://www.usms.org/myusms/

mmlr38
January 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Heck yeah! :banana: My other magazines sit in a pile and often don't get read until I take them on a trip; however, I always read Swimmer Magazine ASAP! :ohyeah:
Ditto! I love the magazine and always read it cover to cover as soon as it arrives.

Though one point of critique for this most recent publication: I really enjoy reading articles about non-famous or less-well-known masters swimmers. I appreciate that we have Olympians and famous swimmers in USMS, but the fact that Misty Hyman appears on the cover and as the featured article is a bit of a let down for me. Though I really enjoyed the article, I would much prefer to read more about people I don't know who really enjoy USMS, have some sort of unique or interesting or inspiring story about how swimming and USMS has positively affected their lives. I think that this is usually the case for the profile articles and I think they should stick to that mold. Just my opinion, of course :)

mpmartin
January 14th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Mine came in yesterday's mail. I always look forward to reading it from cover to cover!

jroddin
January 14th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I think my copy arrived last Wed or Thurs. We don't always check the mail every day.

Does anyone still read this magazine? Mine usually sits on the counter, then moves to the magazine pile on the coffee table, then eventually makes its way to the recycle bin. If I'm traveling, I'll sometimes take it with me. I truthfully can't remember the last time I've actually opened one up and read it. Nothing against this magazine, but I generally don't read any magazines, unless they are in an electronic format and on my Kindle.

You don't read your SWIMMER magazine, yet a while ago you raised a stink when it didn't arrive on time. I guess you were just anxious to get it into your recycle bin? :confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist. This one was just too easy...

thewookiee
January 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM

About as easy as taking shots at meet directors for their crummy order of events. :argue: :hug: :smooch:

aztimm
January 14th, 2014, 05:47 PM
You don't read your SWIMMER magazine, yet a while ago you raised a stink when it didn't arrive on time. I guess you were just anxious to get it into your recycle bin? :confused:

If it is something we are pretty much being forced to pay for (as part of the membership bundle), then yes, I think the expectation is that everyone should receive the magazine in a timely manner, regardless of whether they read it or not.

jpetyk
January 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I'm still waiting for mine :-(

jroddin
January 15th, 2014, 09:00 AM
If it is something we are pretty much being forced to pay for (as part of the membership bundle), then yes, I think the expectation is that everyone should receive the magazine in a timely manner, regardless of whether they read it or not.

If you want it delivered in a timely manner perhaps you should take your concern to the USPS and not USMS.

Although thinking about it more, I think we pay ~$12 annually for the magazine (i.e. $2 per issue). I think $2 per issue having to cover postage let alone production costs and design hours is more than reasonable. In order to guarantee timely delivery, I assume that would mean sending it out first class. Which of course would mean charging more to the members.

Said otherwise, you can't have your :cake: and eat it, too... :)

aztimm
January 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
If you want it delivered in a timely manner perhaps you should take your concern to the USPS and not USMS.

Although thinking about it more, I think we pay ~$12 annually for the magazine (i.e. $2 per issue). I think $2 per issue having to cover postage let alone production costs and design hours is more than reasonable. In order to guarantee timely delivery, I assume that would mean sending it out first class. Which of course would mean charging more to the members.

Said otherwise, you can't have your :cake: and eat it, too... :)

My preference would be to just not bother with the magazine, save the $12 and all the trees/ink it takes to print :angel:

jroddin
January 15th, 2014, 12:37 PM
My preference would be to just not bother with the magazine, save the $12 and all the trees/ink it takes to print :angel:

You can save the trees/ink if you wish. Send an email to azregistrar@usms.org and ask to opt-out of the mailed magazine.

Editor
January 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Thank you all for your comments—we truly do appreciate the feedback! And our apologies for the delay some of you are experiencing—I'm pretty sure that big hairy polar vortex has something to do with it.

We're super excited about the Get Wet sticker (http://www.usms.org/getwet) inside. On Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/USMastersSwimmingFanPage) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/MastersSwimming), we're encouraging everyone to have fun with it. It's the focus of next week's Wet Wednesday. Email your photos to wetwednesday@usms.org.

Rob Copeland
January 16th, 2014, 10:17 AM
You can save the trees/ink if you wish.Swimmer magazine is made from 110% recycled materials with the inks derived from used swim caps and tech suits. This is why our Editor is always on the lookout for colorful caps so she can continue to include such stunning photos in each issue.

Bill Sive
January 17th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Then I guess Laura will be excited to get her hands on some of the neon swim caps that Southern Pacific recently received for marketing purposes. Should make some of those pages pop with color.

moodyrichardson
January 21st, 2014, 03:37 PM
Got mine too! Our club is on a college campus with a lot of college members. Needless to say, the sticker made for some very "colorful" conversation!!:blush:

orca1946
January 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
I was looking for new goggles AND there it is , a compare of many.

splash4fun
January 26th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Have not received mine yet. I am in Illinois.