PDA

View Full Version : Masters Worlds in Montreal

Allen Stark
January 16th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Registration for Worlds should open soon(by 1-15 according to their website,which must operate in a different space/time continuum.)Who is going? This should be a really fun meet and with FINA now linking Masters Worlds with Worlds this may be the last time the meet is in North America for awhile.

ElaineK
January 16th, 2014, 11:10 PM
:ohyeah: :bliss: :groovy: :cheerleader: :canada: ​Does that answer your question?

flystorms
January 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I can't tell if you're excited or not, Elaine. ;-)

Fresnoid
January 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Meh. It's not a true meet if there's no 1500.

Beards247
January 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM
How about I really, really, want to. Need to figure out kids schedules and - get in better shape!

mmlr38
January 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
My thoughts exactly!!!!

Britt03
January 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I will register, get a hotel and then, after my future swimmer is born, see if 10 weeks is enough to get back in shape....

ElaineK
January 17th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I will register, get a hotel and then, after my future swimmer is born, see if 10 weeks is enough to get back in shape....

:applaud:Congratulations, Britt! :applaud:

The Fortress
January 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Meh, it's long course.

I have a 2 week+ vacation in Europe with the family and friends in June-July, so it's a non starter for me.

knelson
January 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM
As of now I'm out, too. This August will mark my 15th wedding anniversary and my wife and I would like to take a vacation. Going to Montreal to watch me swim is NOT my wife's idea of a good vacation!

pwb
January 17th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I'm out, too, but that's nothing new. Early to mid-August meets just will not work for my family life until all the kids are off to college. There's a very short window for a family vacay between the kids summer swim season ending and the insanely early start to Arizona schools.

However, the SPMA / Southwest Zone meet in Mission Viejo at the end of August, sanely packed into two days (Aug 23rd and 24th) might be something I could swing -- http://www.spmasterswim.org/w/SPMS/meet-schedule/.

PatrickJM
January 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=pwb;294007]I'm out, too, but that's nothing new. Early to mid-August meets just will not work for my family life until all the kids are off to college. There's a very short window for a family vacay between the kids summer swim season ending and the insanely early start to Arizona schools.

Exactly my delema as well. Georgia schools start first week in August and me spending an entire week swimming in Montreal while two kids and teacher wife slug back to class wouldn't be very fair (fun, yes, but fair no). As a consolation I'm aiming for Maryland events on the Friday-Sunday stretch.

PatrickJM
January 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
That's awesome Britt -congrats!

ElaineK
January 18th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I can't tell if you're excited or not, Elaine. ;-)

Well, then, perhaps I should add in this one: :banana:

:D

ElaineK
January 18th, 2014, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=pwb;294007]
Exactly my delema as well. Georgia schools start first week in August and me spending an entire week swimming in Montreal while two kids and teacher wife slug back to class wouldn't be very fair (fun, yes, but fair no). As a consolation I'm aiming for Maryland events on the Friday-Sunday stretch.

WoooHOOO! I hope to see you in Maryland, Patrick! Perhaps we can get on another 200 medley relay together and win another medal! :banana: If we do, at least I'll know who that backstroker is on the opposite end of the pool. :D

no200fly
January 18th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I'm going if my wife will swim. She is going to her first meet February 22.

rodent
January 18th, 2014, 10:28 PM
:canada:i'm there!:canada:

PatrickJM
January 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=PatrickJM;294012]

WoooHOOO! I hope to see you in Maryland, Patrick! Perhaps we can get on another 200 medley relay together and win another medal! :banana: If we do, at least I'll know who that backstroker is on the opposite end of the pool. :D

Elaine, I won't be at the Ga Tech meet but I will be at Auburn -let's try to get a tally on which GAJA swimmers are going where in August.

ElaineK
January 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=ElaineK;294023]

Elaine, I won't be at the Ga Tech meet but I will be at Auburn -let's try to get a tally on which GAJA swimmers are going where in August.
Sounds like a plan to me! See you at Auburn! :cheerleader:

Swimosaur
January 20th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Registration is open: Registration page (https://finamasters2014.org/registration/)

Allen Stark
January 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Registration is open: Registration page (https://finamasters2014.org/registration/)

OK,we need digital passport photos before we apply?

Britt03
January 20th, 2014, 04:09 PM
seems like it. I should still have one from years ago on my computer somewhere. That should do ;)

Not sure if you could send in a pic of a frog, Allen... You might as well try.

knelson
January 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
OK,we need digital passport photos before we apply?

The way I'm reading it is they want you to submit a headshot photo. It doesn't need to be your passport photo, just a digital photo that meets the requirements for a passport--presumably to use for your meet credential.

PatrickJM
January 20th, 2014, 06:52 PM
The way I'm reading it is they want you to submit a headshot photo. It doesn't need to be your passport photo, just a digital photo that meets the requirements for a passport--presumably to use for your meet credential.

So everybody send a picture with your swim cap and goggles on.

ElaineK
January 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Not sure if you could send in a pic of a frog, Allen... You might as well try.

Well, of course he can! He is, after all, KING FROG. :banana:

ElaineK
January 20th, 2014, 08:03 PM
So everybody send a picture with your swim cap and goggles on.

:lmao:
Nobody recognizes each other with their clothes on, anyway.

Chris Stevenson
January 21st, 2014, 09:51 AM
I seem to recall it was the same for Italy. I think maybe they put the photo on your identification; they were pretty strict about only letting people in who were swimming that session. (Stanford was the same but I don't remember if they had photos.)

Frank Thompson
January 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
I seem to recall it was the same for Italy. I think maybe they put the photo on your identification; they were pretty strict about only letting people in who were swimming that session. (Stanford was the same but I don't remember if they had photos.)

Stanford did have photo identification and they took your picture at registration check in and then had the photo laminated on your badge. Your badge identified what days you were swimming and if you were not swimming in one of the days specified on your badge, you were not permitted entrance on the pool deck and you only had access to the stands on the days you were not swimming.

bkhoyt
January 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
I have a quick question regarding Worlds vs Nationals. For Nationals you do not have to qualify to swim. You could swim up to 3 events for which you did not qualify (excluding distance events). This does not exist for Worlds, correct?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Frank Thompson
January 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I have a quick question regarding Worlds vs Nationals. For Nationals you do not have to qualify to swim. You could swim up to 3 events for which you did not qualify (excluding distance events). This does not exist for Worlds, correct?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Yes to your answer. You are not suppose to swim any events that you did not make qualifying times for. Where in USMS you get 3 (excluding distance events). If you are close to qualifying, you can gamble and swim but if you don't make the qualifying times when you swim you will be listed in the results as DNF or something like that. Go to the FINA website and look at the results and you will see a lot of those as you browse through the results.

sunruh
January 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
for 2012 World in Italy you were required to have a photo to upload when you registered, just like what Montreal is requiring (i have no idea if i can go, heck i've not even done a dive off the blocks with my new shoulder).

yes, you need qualifying times. HOWEVER, nothing is checked. plus, nothing is done if you dont go that fast during the meet (you just get a NT (ie no time)) for the race. a 1000+ italians received NT in Ricconni.
heck, you can even enter at the WR even if its not yours! think about that for a minute.

secondheart
January 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
Yes to your answer. You are not suppose to swim any events that you did not make qualifying times for. Where in USMS you get 3 (excluding distance events). If you are close to qualifying, you can gamble and swim but if you don't make the qualifying times when you swim you will be listed in the results as DNF or something like that. Go to the FINA website and look at the results and you will see a lot of those as you browse through the results. If memory serves me correctly the World qualifying times were easier than the NQT, is this the case currently?

ElaineK
January 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
If memory serves me correctly the World qualifying times were easier than the NQT, is this the case currently?

:agree: Yes, definitely! At the moment, I am unable to make NQT's; however, I qualify for Worlds in everything except 200 fly.

Swimosaur
January 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
If memory serves me correctly the World qualifying times were easier than the NQT, is this the case currently?

No need to rely on memory! Standard times for Montreal are --> here (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2229&Itemid=1082)

secondheart
January 23rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks ElainK and Swimosaur for your responses, are the NQT for Maryland available ?

ElaineK
January 23rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks ElainK and Swimosaur for your responses, are the NQT for Maryland available ?

Not yet, so keep an eye on this page: http://www.usms.org/comp/nationals.php?utm_campaign=top_nav&utm_medium=events_and_results . You could look at NQT's from last summer to get a good idea of what to expect.

Frank Thompson
June 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
The deadline for the 2014 Masters World Championship has been extended for a few days.

https://finamasters2014.org/registration/

sunruh
June 3rd, 2014, 10:12 AM
ah they must be missing the 6000 entries from italy :D

ElaineK
June 3rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
ah they must be missing the 6000 entries from italy :D

Hey, if anybody out there knows what the final count is, please post it here! :canada:

Glenn
June 3rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
I was at Canadian Nationals in Windsor Ontario May 16 - 19 and spoke to one of the officials who said that they had about 6,000 at that point. With the rush to register at the end I'm going to guess a total of 8,000. Not too shabby and doable.

sunruh
June 5th, 2014, 09:18 AM
with 2 race pools that should be ok.
if just 1....UH OH!

no200fly
June 16th, 2014, 10:50 AM
How many people were in Italy?

sunruh
June 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM
largest swim meet EVER!!!

ElaineK
June 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
largest swim meet EVER!!!

Does anybody know how many are registered for Montreal?

Glenn
June 16th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Does anybody know how many are registered for Montreal?

At Canadian Nationals in Windsor, Ontario in mid May, I was told they had 6,000. So if I had to guess, I would say 8,000 for a final number.

sunruh
June 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM
realize that it went to 11pm (or later) some nights
with TWO 10 lane pools.

if there really is only a single 10lane pool in Montreal, sunday may become monday before it ends for the "day" and some other days as well

ElaineK
June 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
realize that it went to 11pm (or later) some nights
with TWO 10 lane pools.

if there really is only a single 10lane pool in Montreal, sunday may become monday before it ends for the "day" and some other days as well

There will be two 10 lane pools for competition in Montreal. One of the pools is a Myrtha temporary pool. Men's heats will be in one pool, and women's heats will be in the other; however, they will switch pools on alternate days. In addition, there is an 8 lane pool for warm-ups.

Still, it will be a zoo, and I'm prepared to have my expectations VERY low for a decent warm-up before my races. :agree:

Swimosaur
June 16th, 2014, 04:23 PM
There will be two 10 lane pools for competition in Montreal. One of the pools is a Myrtha temporary pool. Men's heats will be in one pool, and women's heats will be in the other; however, they will switch pools on alternate days. In addition, there is an 8 lane pool for warm-ups.

Elaine, where did you find that information? Thanks.

ElaineK
June 16th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Elaine, where did you find that information? Thanks.

It's in the entry booklet: http://finamasters2014.org/Montreal2014EntryBooklet.pdf :D

Check out this aerial view of the temporary pool on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309186582562965/

robertsrobson
June 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Seems to be quite a number of swimmers echoing my dilemma, which (aside from time/money in general) is the timing. Coming off the back of the summer holiday is not great for parents of school-aged kids. I know there will never be a perfect time, but it must be a factor for Northern Hemisphere countries in general. And no, taking the family to a masters meet isn't a holiday!

Allen Stark
June 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Seems to be quite a number of swimmers echoing my dilemma, which (aside from time/money in general) is the timing. Coming off the back of the summer holiday is not great for parents of school-aged kids. I know there will never be a perfect time, but it must be a factor for Northern Hemisphere countries in general. And no, taking the family to a masters meet isn't a holiday!
Too bad.You are one of the swimmers I was really hoping to meet in person.

sunruh
June 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM
And no, taking the family to a masters meet isn't a holiday!

actually it really can be.
you just have to plan it right.
have the family show up for your last event and then have a holiday afterwards!
1) they get to see you swim a race, but not the "entire, long, boring part. where you dont want to do anything fun"
2) then you do get to go to the fun stuff in a place you dont live!

__steve__
June 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM
have the family show up for your last event and then have a holiday afterwards!

Thanks for the excellent tip. They do get a kick from watching me swim, but not enough to suffer through the other stuff

no200fly
June 17th, 2014, 10:32 PM
My youngest daughter announced that she wanted to go with us to Montreal (she's 19). I thought it was a nice gesture until she added that she had planned her days and they did not include watching her parents swim. I guess we will get to see her for breakfast and dinner.

sunruh
June 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the excellent tip. They do get a kick from watching me swim, but not enough to suffer through the other stuff

exactly. in italy i had a 2 day break. in the middle (relay day, next day) and they showed up to watch the 400 on the last day.
we had an amazing holiday afterwards in florence and then rome.
they are going for the whole thing in montreal but have plans to really explore the underground city and scout all the stuff to do after i finish on wednesday. i am cutting out what could be my best event (400) to have more holiday time.

Debugger
June 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM
exactly. in italy i had a 2 day break. in the middle (relay day, next day) and they showed up to watch the 400 on the last day.
we had an amazing holiday afterwards in florence and then rome.
yeah, my wife watched all my events (3). on the first day they put approximate event start time around 4PM. we came around that time to have time for warm-up but the event actually started at 6PM and I swam after 10PM. That is really annoying because by that time I was so wiped out that I didn't care anymore about my swim. :badday:
For the following days we've made corrections and came much later, also we found very useful link where organizes were publishing information from the marshaling room (current event, heat and calling heat). That saved a lot of time!
If not to count the first day we also had nice holidays - also visited Florence, then San Marino and Venice also spent some time on the beach after all events where over :banana:.

gdanner
June 18th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Still, it will be a zoo, and I'm prepared to have my expectations VERY low for a decent warm-up before my races. :agree:

Unruh and I will clear a lane for you. Just let me know when you need to warm up.

sunruh
June 18th, 2014, 02:25 PM
actually that may not even be possible.
why?
in italy they did not let men into the womens warmup pool and vice versa.
also be prepared that if you do not swim on a day you probably wont be allowed to swim at all in the warmup/competition pool.
we will need to go offsite to another facility. where? i dont know yet, but my bucket list goal is the '76 olympic pool on monday.

ElaineK
June 18th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Unruh and I will clear a lane for you. Just let me know when you need to warm up.

:banana: :bliss::duel:Woo HOOOOO! You go, boys! :bolt:

:angel:

200free
June 18th, 2014, 04:52 PM
my bucket list goal is the '76 olympic pool on monday.
Unfortunately the Olympic pool's website says it's under construction until 2015.
Did you swim at Arkansas? If so this is Cheryl.

sunruh
June 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately the Olympic pool's website says it's under construction until 2015.
Did you swim at Arkansas? If so this is Cheryl.

seriously bummed!!!

folks throw another olympian log on the fire!
Cheryl swam for canada at the 1984 Olympics and placed 5th in the 400 free relay.
her husband Peter also swam for canada and if my memory is right (from the stands) was 7th in the 200 fly also at the 84 Olympics. both were my teammates at U of Arkansas (yes at one time there was a mens team...thanks title 9)

Water Rat
June 19th, 2014, 12:42 PM
my entire crew is coming. we're spending the weekend before in the mountains outside the city arriving Sunday night. My events are all on Mon/Tues/Wed. It's going to be a challenge keeping everyone entertained but mostly for my wife. ;)
afterwards we go to Rhode Island to the BEACH

pwb
June 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM
we will need to go offsite to another facility. where?McGill University has a Masters team and a decent enough 25M pool; not sure if you'll have access to it, but it is right downtown. The Montreal YMCA downtown also has a pool where you can pay a drop-in fee to swim, though the fee was fairly high and the pool is only just OK.

If you have a car, there are some other pools in the western suburbs, if I recall, that might provide pool time if you can't get in the main pools, though I haven't swum in them.

gdanner
June 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
why?
also be prepared that if you do not swim on a day you probably wont be allowed to swim at all in the warmup/competition pool.
we will need to go offsite to another facility.

That would be disappointing, although it might be easier to get in a decent warmup.

swimmieAvsFan
June 23rd, 2014, 10:00 AM
why?
we will need to go offsite to another facility. where? i dont know yet, but my bucket list goal is the '76 olympic pool on monday.

That would be disappointing, although it might be easier to get in a decent warmup.

At Worlds in 2006 at Stanford, I don't think there was any prohibition against men in the women's pool and vice versa. However, there definitely were staff members at the gates checking to see if your credentials had that day's events listed. If not, you weren't allowed on deck that day. So it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case again this year.

robertsrobson
June 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Too bad.You are one of the swimmers I was really hoping to meet in person.

USMS Short Course might be more realistic and fun!!

And the way my back is right now, probably a better aim to be fit for...

no200fly
June 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Does anyone know if Swimphone or other realtime results system will be used? If this is going to be anything like Italy, it would be nice to be able to keep up with the status remotely.

ElaineK
June 28th, 2014, 04:27 PM
A new thread was started on Worlds: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?24141-2014-FINA-Worlds-Information

According to a post earlier today, we finally have the attendance for the pool meet:
I have heard there are 5868 swimmers for the pool events. That makes it a little bigger than 2006 in Stanford.

Walt Reid
USMS Records Administrator

This puts the attendance at roughly three times the number of swimmers at my first USMS Nationals at Georgia Tech in 2010. :afraid: At least it's far less than the number of swimmers in Italy! :banana:

Andy Roberts
August 9th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hi Elaine! Trying to figure out how to use this! I'm used to Facebook, but this is new to me. Great meeting you in Montreal!

ElaineK
August 10th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Hi Elaine! Trying to figure out how to use this! I'm used to Facebook, but this is new to me. Great meeting you in Montreal!

:welcome:Hi Andy! I'm so glad you decided to join us here in the Forums! You'll get the hang of it- trust me. This was my one and only social networking site until I got on Facebook to keep up with my swim team.

Check out the Smilies; they're a hoot! :bliss: As for the choice of colors and fonts, well, there are some Forumites here who HATE my blue Comic Sans font; however, they eventually either got over it or decided to leave me alone when they realized I wouldn't give it up. :D

Hey, Forumites, be nice to Andy, because he's a great guy. :agree: He joined in on the Team U.S.A. Facebook page for Worlds, even though he's a :canada: and gave us a lot of great advice and tips about Montreal. I met Any and his wife, Celine, at the meet and they are the nicest couple you could meet. Be good to my new buddy!