PDA

View Full Version : Coaching my first meet!

sperkins1
January 21st, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hey everyone, I have been coaching my masters team for just about a year now and in February I have a couple swimmers going to their first masters meet! I am so excited to be a part of this experience with them. My question to all you experienced coaches out there is what should I expect as a coach during a meet? I am also planning on swimming in a couple events myself. Is there a coaches meeting before-hand? Do other coaches swim in meets? Do I need to do anything aside from encourage my swimmers?

Thanks for all the help, I am really excited!

Beards247
January 24th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I'm answering more as a swimmer than a coach, and only from my experience in Masters meets (meets in your area may be different).

First, I've never seen a coaches meeting, so you are safe there. I think some swimmers wear a coaches hat and typically swim - but that probably depends on the newness of the swimmers and how many swimmers a coach has. If the swimmers I was working with were completely new to a swim meets, I'd consider hold off on swimming myself, perhaps participate in a relay with them.

I suspect your roll will be encouragement (read: calming nerves), maybe video taping, maybe splits, and of course swim meet logistics (keeping track of event/heats, stuff, etc.). Splits are always a neat thing to see, but IMO video is where it's at. Convince them to bring their own camera or let you borrow their phone so they keep the video. If you've got 1+ swimmer in the same heat that is problematic, but maybe another swimmer wil

You should be excited! meets are fun and it is a great feeling to see the happiness achieving goals brings knowing you played a part.

Betsy
January 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Make sure your swimmers warm-up adequately. Lots of new swimmers think they will be too tired if they warm-up very much. Point out to them that they feel better in practice after warm-up and one set. Another thing is to encourage a cool-down after each race.

Kevin in MD
January 31st, 2014, 03:16 PM
My question to all you experienced coaches out there is what should I expect as a coach during a meet? I am also planning on swimming in a couple events myself. Is there a coaches meeting before-hand? Do other coaches swim in meets? Do I need to do anything aside from encourage my swimmers?

There's no coaches meeting, there's no designated warmup spot for each team, you just get in where you figure is best and go.

I swim in all the meets I go to.

The main job of the coach on meet day is entering the relays. Every meet I have been to you enter the relays the day of the meet with a paper entry form and possibly money. That is something I always take care of. Other than that I do the meet and cheer for and help out the swimmers any way I can.

sperkins1
February 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! My swimmers had a great time!