PDA

View Full Version : 5k OWS before May 16, 2004

fito
February 5th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Hi Everybody,
I HAVE to do a 5k OWS before May 16, 2004 to qualify for a longer OWS in the summer. I will pretty much fly anywhere in the US... Suggestions?
Thanks

swim53
February 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM
March 7th - Arizona Xtreme Desert Triathlon and Open Water Swim - Lake Saguaro, AZ
* The fine folks at DCB Extreme Adventures are getting into the swim of things again. In addition to the Tempe Town Lake series, they will be offering an open water swim in conjunction with the Arizona Xtreme Desert Triathlon. a 1500 meter and 3000 meter swim will be offered. Due to the chilly water temperature, wet suits will be allowed. *This triathlon is the season opener for the Nissan Xterra Point Series. For more information, contact swim coordinator, Mark Gill (Mark.gill@asu.edu) or go to www.dcbadventures.com

Leonard Jansen
February 6th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Just a guess, but that is the deadline for the Manhattan Marathon Swim qualifying swim period. If that is what you are aiming for, I though that it needed to be a 4 HOUR swim (???)

-LBJ

fito
February 6th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Yes, that is the deadline for the MIMS. However, I need a 2.5 hour qualifier because I am planning to do it in a team of two.

Do you know of any race that can fullfil this requirement?

Thanks

Leonard Jansen
February 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM
In 2002, Terry Laughlin (of Total Immersion fame), did the race solo. If memory serves me correctly, he got his qualifier by doing 4 hours in a lake in Westchester/Rockland county, NY, in May - no race, just an observer. Perhaps you might want to contact him and see where/how he did it. http://www.totalimmersion.net

-LBJ

jdut
February 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
As far as I can understand it (and I could be wrong, I often am), the qualifying swim needs to be a certain temp and duration, with an observer documenting stroke rate, etc at intervals, who will sign off on the whole thing. Maybe you could just find a body of water of correct temp and someone nice to watch you and record conditions and sign the paper - I've known people to do it this way.

2go+h20
February 15th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I too thought you had to have certain criteria with regards to water temp, distance, time and a number of sanctioned races under your belt for the Manhattan Swim.
What distance are you planning to swim later in the summer?
Are you a long distance swimmer, and have you done other open water swims before? You should list all recent swims (dates, times, water temp, if you used a wetsuit etc) on the entry.
I believe there is a 5km swim in Bellingham in June.
We have lovely open water swims up north, but not until July. Would love to do an open water swim in May.
Could you Post these swims if you find any.
Thanks.

fito
February 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Since I couldn't find a race that meet all the requirements (water temp, duration, and earlier than my deadline) I will be swimming with an observer and some crew to qualify for the race. Thanks for your input all