PDA

View Full Version : Proposals about criteria concerning Pacific Masters Top Ten

michaelmoore
February 22nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
As in the prior thread, Pacific Masters is considering what the criteria for achieving a Pacific Masters Top Ten Time. Chairman Peter Guadagni has asked for input from members about what should be the criteria. Below are two alternatives. The committee welcomes a spirited debate on the topic.

What should be the criteria for determining Pacific Masters Top 10?

Alternative 1.
The Pacific Masters Top 10 should be based on times achieved by a Pacific Masters member at a Pacific Masters sanctioned or recognized event. (This is the current criteria.)
Argument in favor of Alternative 1.
Our Top 10 should be based on top performances at locally sanctioned or recognized meets and should not be restricted to Pacific Masters members. This has always been the criteria and there is no reason to change it.

Alternative 2.
The Pacific Masters Top 10 should be based on times achieved by a Pacific Masters member at any event sanctioned or recognized by USMS or at the FINA World Championships.
Argument in favor of Alternative 2.
Our Top 10 should represent a ranking of our membersí best performances. Swimmers competing at Nationals or Worlds will peak for that event and their locally achieved times are unlikely to represent their best performance.

Please feel free to comment. If you favor one, but feel there should be modifications, please post your thoughts.

-michael

barryf
February 24th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I favor Alternative 2. In the past it was difficult to include times done in meets outside of Pacific. Now a tool exists on the USMS website to automatically generate a listing of top ten times that include times done in other LMSC. See: http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/toptenlocal.php

swimfree
February 26th, 2014, 07:35 PM
The second alternative makes more sense to me. I am a registered Pacific Master swimmer and where I swim my top ten times should not be relevant. We should have the same rules as the USMS has for times counting toward the top ten.

Fresnoid
February 27th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I'm kind of surprised this is even being debated. It seems obvious to me that the PM TT should be the best times performed by PM members in any meets, anywhere that are recognized by any affiliate organization. Anything else would be like a US Olympic swimmer breaking a world record in London but not be considered an American record.

mballenger
February 27th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I favor alt 2. Swimmers are more likely to travel for big meets and it has always seemed weird to me to not have my fastest times included in the Pacific top 10, especially if I'm not swimming my best events at Pacific sanctioned meets. Its an incomplete picture without those meets.

djlawrie
February 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I also favor alternative two for all of the reasons voiced by others.

lauraval
February 28th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Alternative #2 seems to make more sense. As someone who typically goes to Nationals and Worlds, I don't rest or taper for our meets, so my seasonal best times are never included in the PMS Top Ten. I guess it's not that big a deal--just makes sense.

fastback
February 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM
All of the above responses reflect what seems to be the logical answer - #2. Where one swims should not be an issue, providing it is a sanctioned event (recognized). It seems the only reason we would do this is the bookkeeping involved. For the benefit of the swimmers we should count all swims.

jeremyc
February 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I vote for number 2. As many other swimmers have done, I have traveled to swim in the USMS championships in several states. It would be a shame if swims in those events were not counted....especially since Nationals are usually the time when we swim our fastest times of the season.

pfrentsos
February 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
As in the prior thread, Pacific Masters is considering what the criteria for achieving a Pacific Masters Top Ten Time. Chairman Peter Guadagni has asked for input from members about what should be the criteria. Below are two alternatives. The committee welcomes a spirited debate on the topic.

What should be the criteria for determining Pacific Masters Top 10?

Alternative 1.
The Pacific Masters Top 10 should be based on times achieved by a Pacific Masters member at a Pacific Masters sanctioned or recognized event. (This is the current criteria.)
Argument in favor of Alternative 1.
Our Top 10 should be based on top performances at locally sanctioned or recognized meets and should not be restricted to Pacific Masters members. This has always been the criteria and there is no reason to change it.

Alternative 2.
The Pacific Masters Top 10 should be based on times achieved by a Pacific Masters member at any event sanctioned or recognized by USMS or at the FINA World Championships.
Argument in favor of Alternative 2.
Our Top 10 should represent a ranking of our membersí best performances. Swimmers competing at Nationals or Worlds will peak for that event and their locally achieved times are unlikely to represent their best performance.

Please feel free to comment. If you favor one, but feel there should be modifications, please post your thoughts.

-michael
I am in favor of alternative 2. It definitely makes the most sense. I personally don't think it will reduce the participation in PMS events.

raysun
March 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
Alternative 2. Sound thinking that sets clear definition to the task of sorting, determining and scoring points for top ten PMS swimmers on an annual basis.

SheilaAnn
March 3rd, 2014, 01:57 AM
Alternative 2, definitely.